Hidden cabling, relocate equipment

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by CraigL, Feb 8, 2009.

1. CraigL

CraigL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am just in the process of pulling down my lounge ceiling and putting in new wall lights etc. I want to relocate my audio/video kit to a recess in the wall and leave the TV in the corner.

I am on Telewest/Virgin media so I'll take the cable from the termination box in the lounge into a wall plate and hide the cabling to the recess. No problem. The recess will house the Telewest box, my stereo, DVD player, PlayStation and SCART switch box. I need to take the video/audio out back across the room to the TV corner. Shall I use SCART cable for the run or get a SCART adapter to convert to phono cables? I am probably looking at a 6 to 8 metre run in the wall/ceiling. Also I'm not yet HD or BluRay wotsit yet. The new TV will have the latest bells n whistles so the video/audio feed from the recess to the TV will need to support this and other technology in the future as I once the cabling is in, it's in.

I'd appreciate you thoughts as to the best way of doing this and making it future proof.

Cheers.

2. CraigL

CraigL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK so a bit of reading on this forum tells me at some point I'll need to send a HD signal across the room.

So I'll need a HDMI cable building in right?

At the moment I am not geared up for HD (yes yes stoneage) so can I convert from SCART to HD plug format and back again to use the HDMI cable run or do I need to install a seperate SCART or Phono cable run?

Cheers.

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Its expensive to convert scart to HDMI cheaper to run both cables and add some Cat5 at the same time at least 2 runs, never know when you'll need it.