1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hibernate by pushbutton on case?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by SunnyUK, Jun 1, 2003.

1. SunnyUK

SunnyUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm slowly putting together a spec for a HCPC (and yes, I've seen Andy's case and it looks great!).

One of the areas I fear will be a nuisance is the boot time. I want to be able to turn it on and then (almost) immediately play music or DVDs. I don't want to wait for Windows slowly getting its act together.

So this is what I was thinking: Is it possible to re-wire or fiddle or something, so that the on/off button becomes a hibernat/wake-up button instead? That way the machine would be almost instantly available.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    If you put the PC into standyby, the power button becomes the wakeup button by default.

I use this on my HTPC, and it gets back into windows in about 2 seconds.

3. SunnyUK

SunnyUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    D'oh! Shows that I'm thinking to much about theory instead of just trying things!

Thanks a lot, SeaneyC!

4. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hibernate is only a few seconds quicker than the regular boot time on XP on my PC (my boot time is very quick). Hibernate also can cause problems a lot of the time as it's a bit buggy, so personally I avoid it. You'd be better off optimising your boot up using Microsoft BootVis for XP (free download, see here) or using standby.

5. SunnyUK

SunnyUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for that link, Squirrel God. I'll check BootVis - I could sure do with an improved boot on my main machine!

6. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No worries, it works really well too :) Need to run it regularly though to keep up the performance.