1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hi8

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by profisheruk, Mar 26, 2005.

1. profisheruk

profisheruk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi
    this may be a silly question :rotfl: but i'm new to camcorders.just bought myself a hi8 camcorder.the question is, Can normal 8mm tapes be used in an hi8 camcorder?

please help

john r :hiya:

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    IIRC from a few years back when I had an analogue Hi8 cam, yes you can replay old Video8 tapes in a Hi8 cam, but I seem to remember that you couldn't record on to them.
    As I say it has been far too long since I used a Hi8 cam, so maybe somebody else can confirm or correct the above. But if you have some old video8 tapes you can always try them to see if they do work. It wont do the camcorder any harm.

Mark.

3. alistairgd

alistairgd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes. Hi8 camcorders are manufactured to work with 8mm or Hi8 tapes. The difference is the quality of the tape. 8mm tapes will provide about 270 lines of resolution where a Hi8 tape will provide up to 400. For better quality recordings, you'll want to use Hi8 tapes.

Thanks to google for confirming what I thought :thumbsup:

4. profisheruk

profisheruk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

thanks for the info :thumbsup: i think i'll just stick to the hi8 if quality is better.