Hi8 video capture on less than high spec machine

nunew33

Standard Member
Reaction score
Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
I have a PC with radeon AIW 32Meg (rest of spec is athlon 1100, 512M RAM, 60G HD, Toshiba DVD 5112 writer).

I want to archive Hi8 camcorder footage to DVD. My machine is incapable of doing DVD quality capture and will drop 1-10% frames over 5 minutes. I dont want to go down the route of an upgrade as the mobo is at its limit CPU wise, so im looking at CPU/Mobo/Mem upgrade and cant afford that. Im sure I could improve things (eg extra HD and having a profile with drivers stripped out....but I want to avoid the PC tuning route as well)

Sooo the question is....... SVid is not DVD quality to start with, What capture settings can I use to not lose quality but ensure there is no dropped frames? AFAIK Svid is approximately 400 lines of interlaced signal. is there anyone that uses anything other than DVD quality capture for Svid analogue capture?

The specs of your PC sound good enough for video capture to me. What I think is likely to be causing the dropped frames is background programmes such as antivirus and screen savers.
When captureing video you want to stop ALL programmes that are not needed. To do this on my PC I use a free prog called EndItAll (all one word). I can't remember where I got it from, but I did find it by doing a Google internet search. If you can't find it PM me your e-mail addy and I'll forward a copy of it on to you.

Mark.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom