Hi8 tapes recorded in PCM - what can I play them back in now?

MrByll

Novice Member
Reaction score
I recorded about 25 tapes in PCM audio on a Hi8 camcorder (Sony EVW-300). It's no longer functioning, and the Hi8 and digital8 camcorders I have now don't play back the audio. Any suggestions as to what camcorders or decks will play these back with audio?

Hello Mr Byll,
I'm afraid I can't help you, but I have the same problem, and wondered if you'd found anyone who can convert Hi8 PCM audio to digital - or any other way of playing them back and transferring to something else...?
I see you have no replies, so I'm guessing this is a difficult ask! My tape was done for broadcasting.

Hello Mr Byll,
I'm afraid I can't help you, but I have the same problem, and wondered if you'd found anyone who can convert Hi8 PCM audio to digital - or any other way of playing them back and transferring to something else...?
I see you have no replies, so I'm guessing this is a difficult ask! My tape was done for broadcasting.
I have a Sony EV-S1000 Which will play PAL video 8 tapes with a consumer format PCM track, I have transferred PCM recordings for a forum member a few years ago. Perhaps we could work something out!!

That would be great! It's just an audio tape - looks like a posh cassette...
Whereabouts are you?

That would be great! It's just an audio tape - looks like a posh cassette...
Whereabouts are you?
I'm based in Halesowen, West Midlands. I can't post my phone number here but if you google my name along with Halesowen you will find me. I hope I can help but I would prefer to chat before committing to the task. If the recording is something other than expected (Multi-Track PCM for example) then I may be able to refer you to someone who can handle other formats.
Hope that helps!
Peter

I recorded about 25 tapes in PCM audio on a Hi8 camcorder (Sony EVW-300). It's no longer functioning, and the Hi8 and digital8 camcorders I have now don't play back the audio. Any suggestions as to what camcorders or decks will play these back with audio?
Look for higher end HI8 VCRs. The professional Hi8 EVO series from Sony evo-9800 / 9850, Teac V-800G-F play PCM audio. Many of the high end prosumer models do also, but I'm less familiar with them.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom