Hi8 tapes recorded in analogue showing blank in Digital camcorder

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by CommanderCool, Jul 18, 2015.

1. CommanderCool

CommanderCool
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I am currently in the process of converting old tapes into the digital format and have run into a problem.

I have a couple of Hi8 tapes which were recorded in the Sony TRV218E over 10 years ago, since Digital Camcorders are supposed to be able to play Hi8 tapes, I thought that I should buy a cheap one on eBay.

The camera I got was the TRV255E and it came with a Hi8 tape. There was footage from the previous owner on it and it played back without any problems. But whenever I put my tapes in and pressed play, nothing happened. The play symbol would show but the screen stays blank (blue).

Is this because my tapes were recorded on another camera or have the tapes been erased from being unused for such a long time?

Would cleaning the tapedeck using using a cleaner tape help?

2. rogs

rogs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +384
    Try recording and playing back a new short clip, using the tape that came with the camcorder. If that works OK, then you shouldn't need to worry about head cleaning.

It is not uncommon, sadly, that analogue tapes recorded on one machine don't play back on another. A common reason for a total refusal (blank screen) is that the tapes were recorded using a long play format which the new camera doesn't recognise. I don't know if that's a possibility in this case?.....

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,543
    Only a few Digital8 camcorders were capable of playing analogue video8 & Hi8 recordings. So it is possible the D8 cam you have is not one of these players and therefore will not work with your old recordings.
    D8 cams used the same physical sized tapes so the Hi8 tape that came with the cam was most likely recorded on the D8 and this is why it plays back.

Mark.

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,543
  5. rogs

rogs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +384
    Looks as if he posted this same question on DV Forums as well, and got the same answers. He posted there at 14.32 yesterday to acknowledge that this camera doesn't play analogue tapes, so we probably won't see him again.....

6. CommanderCool

CommanderCool
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I appreciate the replies, thank you.

@rogs is correct, I posted it earlier on DV forums. I always had avforums on my mind, but google brought me to DV sooner.