Hi8 tape playback problem on Sony DCR-TRV740E

B

basas

Hi, I recently found this forum so decided to look for help here. My problem is getting Hi8 tapes work with my old Sony DCR-TRV740E camcorder. What I need to do is get all video material on my PC.

I have lots of material on Hi8 tapes but I cannot make my camcorder playback the stuff. It's kind of weird but the cam switches from SP to LP at the begining of playback and no view is presented. There is also no playback when trying to capture the video on PC (Windows movie maker) via Firewire link.

Is me camcorder dead or should I make some setting to get the playback? Thanks for any advice cause I'm new to all this capturing stuff.

mistergoof

Novice Member
I'm no expert but have you tried:
  1. Playing a tape recorder on your sony on another camcorder
  2. Playing a tape recorded on another camcorder on yours
might help you narrow the problem down.

MG

B

basas

mistergoof said:
Playing a tape recorded on another camcorder on yours

That's what I'm thinking of right now. There seems to be no logical explanation to the behaviour of my Sony.

To make things more clear what is the difference between Hi8 and Digital8 tapes? Both of these types don't seem to give playback on my camcorder (in the case of Digital8 tape my camcorder switches from D8 to Hi8/8 mode).

mistergoof

Novice Member
logically thinking it's 1 or more of 3 potential problems.

1. Your camcorder has a problem laying down the recording to tape
  2. your camcorder has problems playing tapes
  3. the tapes are ready for filing in the bin
I think you need to try and rule the above options out before moving on

GL

MG

B

Bobby Jones

Check that the camera is switched for AV-DV playback under the system menu in playback mode. Check that 'TBC' is on.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom