1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi8 & Digital8 with PC's

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by ava_tech, Dec 11, 2002.

1. ava_tech

ava_tech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I currently have a Hi8 Camcorder, and I am thinking of buying a Digital8 Camcorder (because some will play back Hi8 tapes).

Does anyone know if the video recorded on my Hi8 tapes can be transferred digitally to my PC, using the Digital8 camera?

Also, once some footage has been editted on my PC, is it possible to send the editted footage back through the Digital8 Camcorder and then record on to VHS?

Alternatively, how could I go about transferring direct from Hi8 camcorder to PC? and once on the PC, can the footage be treated/manipulated the same as DV?

I realise I have asked a few questions here, but any help will be appreciated, Thanks

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    AFAIK Hi8 recordings can be transfered digitaly by a Digital8 camcorder to your PC.
    Once on the PC they will be handled exactly as DV footage.
    To send your footage back to the camcorder you will have to buy one that has it's inputs enabled (most don't :mad: ) and I am not sure id D8 camcorders do have inputs enabled. The only other way would be to get an analogue capture card or an analogue/DV converter.

Mark.

3. Grimley

Grimley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Sony ccdtrv240 Digital 8 C/C has the ilink input as well as the output, which is not that common on other makes of digital C/C's at this price. I know, cos' I have one! It also transfers analogue 8mm & Hi8 footage through the ilink to my PC via a firewire card,
    quality is OK, as i've had old footage to edit from some years ago.

4. ava_tech

ava_tech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Having looked around...... I have found an alternative to the solutions given here!

Canopus ADVC-100.... this handy little box converts analogue video to digital and vice versa (therefore its possible to get from Hi8 tape down a firewire connection into a PC!!)

More info regarding this can be found:

http://www.canopus-uk.com/UK/products/advc-100/pm_advc-100.asp

http://www.datavision.co.uk/

http://www.simplydv.co.uk/advc100.html

I havent purchased one of these yet, but they look and sound very usefull! I have also posted another thread asking some questions about these, so there may be more info there in the next few days.

Thanks for your help and I hope this info can help someone!