1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi8 Camcorder tapes (8mm) - Problem

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by cherc2005, Jun 12, 2005.

1. cherc2005

cherc2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Recently i found a bag of many Hi8 camcorder tapes which i filmed lots of videos of my children about 4-8 years ago.

The problem is, the sony hi8 camcorder i used to record them is now broken so i am unable to play them on my TV.

Of course, an easy way to solve this is to buy a new hi8 camcorder, but i already have a new digital camcorder and i dont need another one.

Ive heard about cassette adaptors but someone told me they only work with VHS-C tapes?

Does anyone know how i can ciew my hi8 tapes again without getting a new camcorder? Is there some sort of player or perhaps a VCR adaptor?

Many Thanks :)

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,381
    Whoever told you that the adapters only work with VHS-C tapes was correct! The adapter works because the VHS-C tapes use the same tape and recording format, but just in a smaller cassette. All the other tape formats are different to VHS and therefore can not be played in a VHS VCR.

To be able to play back your old Hi8 tapes you will need to get a Hi8 camcorder. There are Hi8 tape decks available, but they will cost more than a camcorder. If you have a Digital8 camcorder then some of these can also play the old Hi8 tapes, but not all.
    Perhaps your best bet is to get a s/h Hi8 cam from eBay etc

Mark.

3. TVTina

TVTina

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mark, you obviously know your stuff!! - I want to do the same thing, so do I need a video capture card or can I use the firewire port to get video and sound onto my pc? How do I watch it then? :rolleyes:

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,381
    TVTina,
    with a bit of searching on this forum you will see that there are loads of ways to get analogue video captured on a PC. These range from the cheap (about £30) USB2.0 capture devices up to the expensive (from around £150+) but very good Canopus ADVC converters that connect to the PC via fireiwire. Somewhere in between these 2 options is useing a DV camcorder that must have AV-in enabled (only a few of the many camcorders have this).
    Once captured you can edit out unwanted bits, add titles and transitions etc. If you have a DVD burner you can then create a DVD with your footage on. If you have analogue outputs (some of the ADVC converters have outputs as well as inputs) you can also create a VHS tape. Otherwise you can watch the video footage on your PC monitor, but this is not the best solution.

Hopefully this gives you a few ideas as to what can be done. Let us know if you have any more questions and we will do our best to help.

Mark.

5. sput2001

sput2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I believe Woollies are doing a hi-8 camcorder for just inder a hundred notes at the moment.

6. TVTina

TVTina

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mark, thank-you for taking the trouble to reply. I appreciate it. I'll do some searching now! XX