Hi8 and Mini DV tapes saved to drive with VLC Some wont play on my Samsung TV

oldman2

Novice Member
Maybe considered a bit morbid, but in my 70's i'm trying to get all the old Hi8 & DV camera tapes transferred to a hard drive while i'm able so the family can find and watch the contents on our not so smart Samsung TV which after saving all the tapes to the hard drive I find refuses to play some AVI files. I managed to transfer my tapes via firewire to VLC files but they are big, say 13GB/hour.
I have used VLC to convert some smaller files as a test to H264+MP3 (MP4) which reduces the file size considerably and H264+MP3 (TS) which is even smaller files. These play on the TV. I assume a lot of the original data is lost when converting to these smaller files although the video on my TV doesnt look too bad.
I saw an earlier thread where 4ccfixer was mentioned as a way of tricking Samsung tv's into playing these AVI's without I assume reducing the the file size?
In case its not obvious video codecs and container types go whoosh past me, so I could do with some advice please on how to address my problem.

next010

Distinguished Member
Yeah use Handbrake, input the video, pick any of the SuperHQ mode which is constant quality mode of 18, this generally keeps the video close to the quality of the original.

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom