Hi8 analogue camcorder adaptor

TechiMan

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, does anyone know if there are any Hi8 camcorder adaptors that allow a compact Hi8 camcorder tape to be played through and into a TV or PC without the need of a camcorder, much like the VHS-C adaptors that were used for JVC camcorders. I have two old Hi8 camcorders, two Sony Handycams, but none of em work. Looking on ebay for a working camcorder many are listed for ridiculous prices upwards of £70 to 100 plus, anything below that are spares/repairs, why anyone would want to buy something that doesn't work I don't know, but people will flog anything these days (I have two identical Sony VHS recorders that aren't working, but I doubt I'd get anything for them). I have a few Hi8 tapes that I'm wanting to look at.

I would be very confident that such an adaptor does not exist.

I did have a Sony Hi-8 tape player/recorder which I used in conjunction with a VHS recorder as part of an editing suite. (Cut and Paste using timecode). There may be some still around.
Suggest you try professional Hi-8 to DVD transfer services.

Second stuff is worth month because of its rarity. Even none working stuff is useful to fix broken ones.

Though it seems expensive to buy, consider it will hold its value and you will at most lose 25% when reselling it.

Second stuff is worth month because of its rarity. Even none working stuff is useful to fix broken ones.

Though it seems expensive to buy, consider it will hold its value and you will at most lose 25% when reselling it.
I might think about trying to sell the two Sony VHS recorders if there's a chance that someone may buy them (no point trying to fix them as it's too complicated for me), but first I need to get the tape out that 's stuck inside of one of them lol. I've looked at various videos and comments saying all I need to do is manually unwind the tape mechanism round enough to reel the tape back in, but it won't budge. I guess you're right about spare parts inside being useful for another machine. Luckily I still have a Panasonic combi VHS/DVD (the DVD doesn't work), and which compared to the Sony I have (before it stopped working) does a far better job at tracking some of the poorer tapes which have alot of jumping. Always best to get a VHS recorder that has a manual tracking function on it, I find alot of the older recorders have that more than the recent models, and more buttons on the actual player too rather than just on the remote, which is a real pain if you happen to lose the remote and can't even record because there's no record button on the machine. Years ago we had an Orion VHS recorder that kept scrunging up tapes whenever you tried to put them in, and pushing them in was a real challenge as you had to physically push hard. And at one point we lost the remote (pre internet days and a replacement remote was about 50 quid) so we were left with just the machine, and the recorder had been left on LP mode so without the remote we couldn't change to SP lol. I hated that video.

I remember a few years back this chap I knew gave me a free Sanyo camcorder from the early 90s that he got free from a recycling site, but last year I decided to chuck in the bin as it stopped working (was working at first and I hardly used it but just stopped working for some reason). I wish I had kept it now and tried to sell it as it was.

Luckily I managed to get the Sony Hi8 camcorder that was my dads working after trying and trying to figure out what was wrong, often at times with the tape ejecting when you put the tape in, and then it would start to play but then you couldn't stop it on the buttons on the camcorder. I was almost about to give up when I realised that I had a remote control for it somewhere, so I tried it and it worked, so it must mean that the buttons on the machine have been jammed or been pushed in too hard.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom