Hi, wall mounted speaker advice required!

SpaceGladiator

Novice Member
Dear forum

I am about to move in to my newly extended room, it is rectangular open plan kitchen, diner living space measuring 9mx6mx2.5m high.

I have cable routed into the wall at approx 1.7m from floor level with the view to use a bracketed wall mounted unit.

At present I use old Q Acoustics 2010i through an even older marrantz pm4200 which all sound fine in my small room!

Ideally I would like to reuse the marrantz and upgrade that part next year and in interim sort out best speakers for the room.

I take it I should first not 'mix and match' keeping my old speakers?

Secondly - I am not looking to overspend to very high spec, nor do I want ultimate budget speakers, I am looking at middle ground where sound, compactness and aesthetics are in balance. Basically I don't want 4 massive boxes on the walls, I need to get the balance right!!

Any ideas would be really appreciated as I thought I wanted Q acoustics and I am reading mixed reviews and don't want to over look something especially as I plan to run these for some time, it won't be a 2 yearly upgrade proposition unfortunately!

Thanks guys and apologies if this has been asked before, I couldn't find a suitable thread to help, feel free to link one if easier, cheers!

larkone

Distinguished Member
You can keep your speakers on the wall relatively small if you consider adding a small sub - i.e. BK Elec Gemini II @ £250 Then if you replace the speakers you can concentrate on smaller models that give really good mid and upper sound and let the sub worry about the bottom end. Smaller speakers will always struggle to produce decent low end - physics are against them. You amp is not that powerful so a sub would take some of the load off that as well. The Gemini has high level inputs so could be run off the existing speaker terminals of you amp.

SpaceGladiator

Novice Member
Thanks guys.

I never considered a sub, thats a good idea I will run with.

RE speakers. I want decent output and small cabinets without comprising on sound quality too much.

White finish would work decor wise.

Budget, less than £400 a pair would be great.

What speakers do you think I could consider? My starting point was QA 3020i

Thanks

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
As a compact bookshelf, there are a lot worse than the Q Acoustics 3020i speakers. With a woofer, one with a high-level input would be ideal as it would allow you to use the LFE for cinema whereas the high-level input would mean the sub would deliver the same signal as the 3020i speakers for a better blending signal. Budget wise, you don't really have enough in that price bracket with that feature after spending on the speakers. So maybe look to the secondhand market for a Rel, MJ Acoustics or BK subwoofer as these are the brands which excel in this area

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
These are designed for precisely that job.

Little sense in trying to make speakers that were designed to work on stands out into the room work well, when these type are available.

Onlythesound

These with a sub, could also do the job well for you.

SpaceGladiator

Novice Member
These are designed for precisely that job.

Little sense in trying to make speakers that were designed to work on stands out into the room work well, when these type are available.
Hi, would you add a sub with these? Any recommendation on brackets to suit?

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
Hi, would you add a sub with these? Any recommendation on brackets to suit?

There’s no need for a bracket. There is one inbuilt.

I’d try them first to see whether you need a sub, but if you do then one of these is probably the best for your needs. Top class and very well priced for a serious subwoofer.

Ten different finishes too.

I’ve had two of these and they do everything a great sub should.

larkone

Distinguished Member
I guess these would do the job :

In principle, a sub would be fine but you need to check your choice of amplifier for output compatibility with your sub.
If you chose a sub with both high level and low level inputs then it would be compatible with the OP's amp as it is not a Class D amp.

Bit of a curveball: I have the CorneredAudio C3 and am very happy with both their look (if that's important to you) and their sound.
They might not be best for critical listening and have not compared them to QA or Dali.

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom