HI, Tosh RP lands Tomorrow

Z

ZX6R

HI All,

Like many before me, I have been lurking around on this forum for quite sometime soaking in as much knowledge of RP’s as humanly possible…

I have always wanted to join the large screen crew, and finally taken the plunge and bought a “Tosh 42PW23P” and Stand, at the weekend cant wait too get my hands on it… but don’t have to wait long as its arriving tomorrow on a pm delivery. :>

It was quite a hard decision as I was going to go for the WH36 but couldn’t really justify the extra cost it was defo going to be a TOSH due to the tweak ability and wealth of info on the net, and the fact they have been in this game longer than most and have very good rep.

I also thought the 100htz mode of the WH36 wouldn’t be used to a great extent, as I see most people on here who have the wh36 seem to run in active or natural modes not the dedicated 100htz mode, probs mostly due to the fact not good sky signals mixed with 100 show up all the nastys and the fact I don’t own a progressive DVD.

Anyways great forum, and Demon I have printed out all tweak posts etc so I can get my convergence spot on, hopefully I wont have focus problems on mine, don’t want to be instantly opening her up…

Anyways no doubt I’ll be popping a few posts on with a few questions after my PAJ lands and I have play.

L8tr

ZX6R

Got my PW23 last Monday. You won't be disappointed with the picture, I was very impressed with the quality straight out of the box, and boy is it a box!! :D As with you, I've searched through loads of info on the net and have found some really useful stuff (Cheers to Nathan s and Demon) So far I've opened the service menu and found out how to do the service level convergence. Leaving this for a while in order to allow the set to bed in. Also disabled SVM (very easy) although I haven't noticed any great differences the theory behind the change appeals so I went for it. Also electronically focused the CRT's. It's surprisingly easy once you get in there, one thing I did notice is that behind all the covers its a bit Heath Robinson in there.

If you find any tweaks worth trying, post away.

Thanks for the reply, im like a kid on christmas eve at the moment so looking forward to tomorow, working from home tomorrow afternoon so i can take delivery..

Yes i will also be leaving the service level convergence due to reading about the bed in period, i will probably have a look anyway just to see how well its setup out of the box.

the SVM tweak was also one of the tweaks i was going to put time to this weekend, the whole theory behind it sounded good..

can anyonelse comment on seeing much off a difference after this tweak?

Also are there any breakable seals you have to go through to open the set up.... just curious as to wether u can get into the set have a bit tweak without it being too obvious that you are attempting to invalidate your warranty..

Cheers

ZX6R

There were no seals. To remove the bottom panel there are four screws. These are either side and accesible from behind. The screen has seven (I think) three along the top, one either side and two at the bottom. There were two holes without screws in at the sides. I took it they weren't necessary, that, or Mr Tosh forgot to put them in :suicide:

Have fun:hiya:

Im getting my 42WH36 in the next few days....cant wait!!! Im thinking of doing the tweaks too.

What does the SVM one do?

Originally posted by gan*
Is it worth doing??

The theory behind this sounds good to me, more info here http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/brandspecific/toshiba/generaltweaks/svm_disable.html

but i dont think i will, unless ic some possitive feedback from other users, if i have to open my set anyway to look at focusing i may test the theory myself, but i dont intend on taking my not even a day old set as its not arrived yet apart! for just this.....

Hope mine arrives in the next couple of hours.

:>

May i just add, if you are new to RP's like me dont rush to get its clothes off, I have had experience in the past with arcade machine CRT's while building Mame machines etc, and i have had a belt of one before not good i tell u, i was in there with both hands not a good idea, twiddleing a pot with a flat head, i got such a belt which threw back the screw driver hand that the driver embeded itself in the wall behind me..

u maybe well upto speed with this, this post is just intended as a heads up, these things can KILL u if your not carefull.

Just for info the Wh38 always runs in 100Hz mode unless you put it into progressive, which will push the frame rate back to 50hz.

The Natural, Active, 100hz is how the frames/Fields are displayed.

The 42pw23 always runs in 50hz interlace.

Just thought id clarify that for everyone.

Just for information

Picture mode 3 will reduce the SVM.

If you select picture mode 3, then go back into the picture menu to adjust the contrast etc.. this will then place these settings into picture mode M.

The scan modulation will then be reduced

U can check this out by going into picture mode 3 and then turn the contact to 100 Brightness 50, Colour 50.

If you then flick between picture modes "m" and "1" you will see a difference.

look at fine detail etc..

Also scan modulation does not work in Teletext

Originally posted by gan*
Mines coming tomm!!! Cant wait!!!

hope its arrived m8....

I have been very impressed with mine so far.. i will probs get round to putting a first impressions Thread up, once ive had a bit more play at the weekend.

but so far very good, money well spent!

also Serious Box that the baby comes in! :eek:

Its arrived its at home right now!!! Cant wait to get out of work!! Then I will be adding to your first impressions thread too !!!

I am currently waiting for my 42pw33 from tesco £739 inc delivery woohoo and I would like to ask about this svm that everyone wants to disable.
What is it and why is it a bad thing?

:lesson:

To turn off SVM all you need to do is put the tv set in Picture Mode 3, then adjust the Brightness, contrast etc to how you like it.. this will the be stored in "M" picture mode without the SVM.

If you decide to have SVM turned on, first put the TV set in Picture mode "1 or "2" then adjust the levels from there.

Hope this help..also this would stop the need for you to start taking apart the TV set and unplugging things !!!!!

Delius

(I thought this thread was Dead??)

Amazing ... such huge desire to take apart a new TV and fiddle. Why? Turn it on and if you love the picture then just relax and enjoy it. Lots of room to mess up the TV and yourself once you start unscrewing things ;-) so why not take an easier route first?

If you're not quite as impressed as you expected then get a copy of Avia DVD and use the various configuration tests to set it up. Made a worthwhile difference to my 42wt29 and minimal effort. You can get this DVD on import via Amazon sellers.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom