Hi to all

vic106

Established Member
Reaction score
hi to all my fellow forum members, been reading this forum for quite some time and decided to join. looking for my first pj and am waiting for the new one from screenplay due approx 1 mths time. i managed to get a look at a philips astair farily impressed !. i'm a bit limited in what i can go and see as i live in N ireland and we don't exactly have a great many pj set up's in Home cinema shops over here!. i am going to the states on my hol's this year and was wondering if i could find any bargains over there ? i know they use a different voltage and i'm a bit worried about buying aboard , any advice would be much appreciated !.I still haven't managed to view a d.l.p pj and was wondering about the dreaded rainbow affects i've been reading about. Just found out about another home cinema dealer in N Ireland and am going to get a look at a dlp pj it's a x1 screenscene any thoughts ?

best regards................vic :thumbsup:

Hi Vic, welcome aboard

I considered buying a proj in the US and felt it too risky because in the event of a problem under warranty I would probably have to send it back to the US which would be costly and perhaps also risky (if watching my suit cases being loaded in Miami was anything to go by).

However you brought a proj in to the UK remember it is eligible for import tax and VAT (or something like that)

A few years ago I bought an iScan pro on a power buy from a well known US forum and had probs, fortunately "Silicon Image" turned out to be a very honourable and friendly company and let me return it to their UK distributor having made it very clear they needn't have.

Also watch out for warranty periods, my Optoma H30 has a three year hot swap warranty in the UK but only two years in the US (I think the X1 might be the same so check)

When I havent been able to personally demo something I have in the past gone with the overwhelming opinions and informed comments from forums such as this and havent gone wrong yet.
However that is only my own personal experience based on the logic that a great deal of people can't be that far wrong, WARNING though it's no substitute for demoing.

When you demo try to be sure that it is done on as level a playing field as possible, you know compare apples with apples and all that.
Take into consideration ambient light, the source equipment, screen, interconnects etc etc and preferably take along your own DVD's as the ones they demo will probably be the ones which give the greatest effect, you can't blame them they are trying to sell you a proj after all.

Spend as much time with the projector as they will let you and get them to set it up for your likes.

Irrespective of what you read or are told, decide what is important for you, if you want good blacks, contrast and what is generally accepted as a slightly better film like picture then DLP may be the way to go, if you need a higher resolution projector because you want something which you can also use for presentations then LCD will possibly be better (CRT is still king but not by nearly as much as it used to be and also I'm assuming you arent considering this as it's your first proj and you also mention a budget proj).

You could do worse than trawl through the projectorcentral web site and read their independant projector reviews, you should find that a damned good start.

Hope this helps and good luck with your search, MikeD

thanks mike for your comments, hints you are right about this forum being the best place to learn about pj's thanks again

regards....vic

I know what you mean. I live in Glenavy and there really arent a great range of home cinema shops who are willing to let you view different set ups here. However, learn from the forum. I dont know what your budget is, or your expectations. I decided to start off with a Panasonic pt200 lcd projector bought online with no problems from Techtronics (5 working days to NI). I am absolutely delighted with the quality and the setup is now the focus of our friday and saturday night viewings. I would be concerned about DLP from what Ive heard, and for the mo I think Ill stick with lcd. The panny on Cinema 2 setting gives a real cinematic experience, and I view on a screen 8 foot across. So dont be afraid to buy online. However, bear in mind, much as this forum is a mine of good advice and information, it is also inhabited by technofreaks, and I mean this in the nicest possible way. What might be a dog to them could be an absolute gem to 90% of us mere mortals. Anyway good luck in you home cinema adventures and enjoy the ride. ;)

I too am in the market for my first projector and have found this site to be invaluable alongside projectorcentral.com, for views and reviews. It has also helped to slim down the bewildering choice of projectors available.

Unfortunately, too much reading has led me into wondering the best way forward, as I read good and bad things about the same projectors, hence i can see no real alternative but to demo.

Good luck with the searching !!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom