Hi there Phillips 720 owners.Advise please.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Vallyboy, Oct 13, 2005.

1. Vallyboy

Vallyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,
    This model it appears is at the end of its production life and is ATM just over £200 at Ebuyer.

I want to get rid of my video (if you can remember what that is) and get a hard drive recorder, but I want an EPG.

I know some question the reliability of this machine but I get a 12 month warranty so will take my chances, give it a hammering in the first few weeks is best I always find but will it do what I want is the question.

I want.

1, An EPG, Guide plus seems to suite me fine, got a new Pace Sky box and do not want Sky+.

2. To record from my DV camera, it has firewire, and do basic editing, and transfer to DVD. I have Pinnacle on my computer if I want serious stuff.

Reading up it seems that it will do those jobs ok, but the queries I have are:

1. I understand that you cannot copy to hard drive from DVD but you can with a separate DVD, is that correct ?

2. I am sure that I read that I cannot transfer old video tapes to the drive, I don’t mean anything copy protected, I mean stuff I recorded years ago. is that correct.

3. I read of a multiregion hack, has anyone used a hack successfully, not vital but handy feature.

4. How do you get a film to fit if it is too long for the DVD as I am sure I have read that you cannot get the machine to shrink it, lower bit rate stuff, again not a deal breaker but what is the workaround assuming you know you will want to save it to DVD?

At the end of the day I don’t record that much but the virtues of a hard drive is obvious and with them I may use it a lot more I would think. I appreciate that there are far better machines out their but my needs are pretty basic, but if any one knows of a player with a hard drive, 80GB is plenty for me, that has Guide plus for just over £200 I would be interested.

Thanks for reading…those that did. :thumbsup:

2. JethroUK

JethroUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Yes - Go figure

You can copy anything but Macrovision protected tapes (most pre-recorded)

I know of MR hack - but alas i only have R2 Dvd's - so i've never been able to test it - but i have heard it works fine

You have a choice of recording modes 1, 2, 2.5, 3, 4, 6 (in hours per disc) - record at a resolution that will best fit a disc (2.5 hours covers most films)

2.5 is max compression at full resolution - picture will start to degrade much over that - but if it's vhs - hey - put 6 hours on

3. Vallyboy

Vallyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info, very helpful. Just a couple of futher points when first setting up the unit it says tune to the Guideplus channel and it will load the info.

Does that mean that is has to remain on that channel for that time or will it "find" it as well as finding it for the updates ?

As you have cable you may not be able to confirm how much of the Sky listings are on the EPG so can anyone advise?

Just thought of one other thing, if the 2.5 mode turns out to be of good enough quality can that be made default every time you record, and only alter it if you feel the need ?

Sorry to keep on but I have just spent a fortune getting my son into a new flat and I am in "do not spend" mode, and worse than that so is the wife, :nono: but this unit looks to be such good value and will do what I need I feel.

4. JethroUK

JethroUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    The guide updates itself daily by tuning to the host channel (Eurosprt on satellite or ITV on internal tuner) - for first download you should select the channel manually and leave it overnight (doesn't matter whether it's on or off)

EPG lists all but the +1 channels - although they now list E4+1 & couple of others

Yeap

+ it also has a sports mode - fast activity is an encoding nightmare for any machine - so if you watch a lot of sport use this mode - i've never used it - i'm viewing with 32" 100hz pixel plus TV from 2.5 meters and i can't tell a recording from live

+ you don't have to put in record mode (like some machines), whether it's on, whether it's off, whether you're watching live, watching a recording, watching a DVD or even burning a recording to DVD it will still start a programmed recording come hell or high water + you can start watching the new recording whenever you feel like it

enjoy

5. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    IIRC there's a quirk with the 72x series, which means that before transferring DV footage to the machine, you have to select a timed mode (ie the multiples of 30, 60, 90 etc that are available with one-touch-record). Is this right?

6. Vallyboy

Vallyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Me again, like a dog with a bone, sorry, still a bit confused about GuidePlus+.

D/Loaded the PDF instructions and my my, daunting to say the least especially when you don’t have the buttons to press to see what happens. Setting up still has me a tad bemused because I will have an analogue aerial fitted as well a recent Pace Sky box.

The instructions seem to indicate that you set it up as if the Sky box is not there ( something about using option 1 I think it said if you have both ) and let it download from ITV. Is this what is meant by the host channel ? I assume in that event as it is getting that signal all the time via aerial that I do not have to tune to that station to get it to download the EPG just leave it on, that’s what I am guessing anyway.

The second point is that to set up the EPG you have to set up each Sky channel and tell the recorder that BBC 1 is on channel 101 BBC2 102 and suchlike, is that so ? I get the bit about sort of blanking out the ones you cannot get/not subscribed to.

I was hoping that the EPG would have this information and that if you pressed BBC 1 on the EPG that it would “know” what channel it was on and change the box accordingly, I was hoping for too much perhaps, and being optimistically stupid, (very likely).

Just thinking of the big channel changes that due from Sky with their new EPG out soon.

An observation on reading the instructions.

This recorder does not have some the functions other PVRs have, well… save me from the more sophisticated ones. Bottom line is, I want to time shift, save a few things to DVD, have an EPG that the wife can understand, not being condescending here, she is totally non techy and wants to stay that way. I just think that because they can programme a chip to do 200 different things they do so, and in truth Sky+ is a success because it just does a few things well…you don’t need a 100 page instruction book. If only I didn’t resent Murdock so and had money to waste. :nono:

Anyone want to buy a second hand video ? You can time it to record a programme in 9 months time…how useful is that. :devil:

7. JethroUK

JethroUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    even better - you can use the built in tuner on ITV to download leaving your sky box free

You dont even have to leave it on - it will still update EPG in standyby

You have to choose which service you use (Sky in your case) and it will number the channels correctly - you can also choose whether you record 5 terrestrial channels from 'External' or 'internal' tuner

It does

Guide+ should reflect the new changes - in good time :eek:)

anything particular?

it has 6 hour Live buffer which you can start watching from wherever you feel like - incl pause/rewind live TV all the way back to lunchtime - lot of machines wont do that

it does that high-speed bit by bit (what you see is what you get) - i have over 200 DVD's archived and the 720 remembers what's on every single one of them by Title - look through the archive - choose what you want to watch - 720 tells you which disc to put in and plays it

Press 'Guide' - point to the program to record and press red - done - it only has a measely 12 programming slots

8. Vallyboy

Vallyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks a bundle JethroUK, made me a happy chappie. :)

The brochure tends to over complicate things somewhat, suggest you offer to write one for them, quite a sophisticated machine, missing a good few features, but the good news is, I would not use them if I had them. :D

Yours seems reliable (not casting a spell honest) but the feature of an EPG is essential to me, and now that you have indicated that it is as intelligent as I hoped, it is a winner, especially at this price.

As I said thanks for taking the trouble to advise me, all i want now is that you PM me your home address. If I don't like it, I know who's window to throw a brick through. :devil:

9. deggs

deggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just got this machine and when I'm in guideplus I understood that if you selected a channel in this then it would tune the skybox to the selected channel but I can't get it to do this?

Am I doing something wrong or have I not understood how guideplus works. I can get it to record a programme (if it has the data in the EPG) and it will change channels but I cannot flip though channels and select one to watch as Icould on the sky epg. To change channel to watch something live I need to use the sky remote.

Any help appreciated.

10. JethroUK

JethroUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    it's 'OK' bug that they never fixed - strangely enough if you have the early software and you press 'timer' then 'home' (blue key) - you can 'unlock' and surf channels through the guide

easy method for any software is to:

press red to record the program (it will then switch channels & mark it for record & exit the guide)
    press red (to bring up the buffer)
    press red (to unmark it)

personally i just use the guide to set recordings

11. woffle

woffle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jethro has it right (as usual :) ) and it beats the hell out of me why they made it like that.

As he said, machines with older firmware (2.6 and below) let you use the timer button to access the guide and then you can choose the program and it WILL change channel.

Mine is one of those and I've never seen the point in upgrading my firmware - the upgrades don't seem to offer much more and are a tad risky (or so I've read) so I would suggest that if yours is one of those then leave it as it is - unless Jethro can tell me something I don't know that might persuade me to upgrade?

12. Vallyboy

Vallyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Arrived yesterday, £214 from Dabs including next day delivery. :thumbsup:

Having fitted it, took me a while to set it up as I had only read the PDF about 60 times so was still not certain, doh !, but the machine proved more intelligent than me and it all seems fine, even GuidePlus+ is now loaded and seems to be working.
    Why is it doing my head in ? It is not a replacement for a video player, no way, the whole concept that you can mess about with time takes some getting used to. No wonder Dixon’s don't sell videos anymore, they will only be about long enough for people to archive stuff to DVDs I would suggest.

Many many things to learn but first impressions are very good. The setting of 2+ is giving me broadcast quality as far as I can determine, I have a decent 32" Tosh and I cannot see any downgrade in quality and that is of course of prime importance and it will cover 99.9% of anything that I will want to dump to DVD so re-encoding is not going to be an issue for me. Not tried it as a DVD player as yet...one thing at a time.

My general impression is of a quality piece of equipment, solid, very quiet, and the time buffer, well, I can see that once you have that faculty you would not want to purchase a PVR without it.

If anyone was like me, wondering if they should consider this as an entry to this field I would suggest as long as it does the things you want and the the things it cannot do don't matter, it should be regarded as a bargain while stocks last I feel. For me it had to have GuidePlus+ and the more I read about the options this machine has it is going to do all that I want.

If it lasts a couple of years who knows what will be about then and I won't feel too bad about getting the latest...assuming that it has something I need...what I am learning is that just because it can do this and that you have to analyse will you use those options.

Finally thanks to JethrowUK for all your help. I just wish you were not such a wimp!!. Now get a screwdriver and pop in a 250GB hard drive and tell us what happens. I am not unfeeling, if it should make your unit US, you will have the perfect excuse to get the new model, so you can see my motives are not selfish :devil:

Just a little rider about sods law. :mad:
    About an hour after fitting it, my electric trip went, reset it and kept tripping, having moved my monster of a TV fitted new equipment, dared to mess with the jungle of wires behind the tele, I had an instant hatred of the darn thing, why oh why did I try and enter the 21st Century when the old one was so comfy...and it was going to get dark soon and then my next door neighbour rang me with the same problem, in the end it turned out they had a fault that was tripping my trip..PHEW !!,...... spent the rest of the evening apologising to my 720...do they sulk I wonder.