hi there, Marantz vs Yamaha vs? Music not an issue.

J

jookster

hello there,

New to this forum and needing some help pretty badly.

I`m looking for a new amp or reciever to replace my ancient pro-logic Yammy. I am considering various brands, at present mostly Marantz and Yamaha.

Music reproduct i.e 2 channel stereo is no issue to me at all since I already have a very good power amp a vintage valve as it happens. So with this is mind how does say the Marantz SR5400 fare with the Yamaha DSPAX-640SE? (I did write RXV originally!) All I am thinking about it home cinema performance where reviews always consider music too.

All comments would be most appreciated.

I remember reading a review of a marantx and yamaha amp, the marantz performed better on a music front IIRC, but the Yamaha was declared the overall winner - I can't comment from a personal viewpoint as only had Yamaha recievers/amps

regards
Gary

If i remember rightly the Yamaha is good unless its pushed hard then it runsout of puff. You would be better off looking at the newer x50 range like the 650 or 750SE depending on your budget.

hi just listen to them both if u can i did last week end and loved 750 yama but bought the 2500 for same price online from germany but just trust you own ears

I've owned both. Yamaha's by nature are sweet sounding machines. Marantz are brutes that can go forever. We've partied to Marantz as kids and they never shut down. As a lame adult, I prefer the Yammy for sound. You can't go wrong either way. My Yammy's in the basement still cranking out tunes and is probably 13 yrs old! That weak little 45 watt stereo receiver is hooked up to a 10 band eq and drives the heck out of my 15" three way speakers and it rattles my house. I just purchased a Denon AVR3805 for the main room. I rank it right there with the Yammy and Marantz, with just a tad more power and a few more channels. I absolutely love the Marantz SR8500, but felt it wasnt worth the extra 500 over the Denon for similar power. Plus Denon has a little better track record with reliability. :beer:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom