1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi Spek - returning goods - problems?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by harry66, Apr 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. harry66

harry66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Bought a Philips 32PW6515 from Hi-Spek which was delivered on 27/3/02.
    Not satisfied with the quality of the Picture and told them so on 2/4/02. They sent a engineer out this morning who reckoned that the TV was OK.
    Spoke to the Customer Service bod after the engineer had been and got the strong impression that I wouldnt get a refund unless the fault was confirmed. She was going to check with the Engineer and get back to me by Monday.

However, I smelt trouble and was wary of the 7 working day limit on the right to cancel under the Distance Selling regulations. So, I fired off an email advising I wanted to cancel the order. Got an email back from HiSpek stating that I could get a refund but I would be responsible for returning the TV. They would charge £60 to take it away.

Am currently trying to discuss the situation with HiSpek after speaking with Trading Standards and my Credit Card company.

THE POINT of all this:
    Has anyone else had a similar situation with HiSpek - how did they get on?

TIA

2. Mitch2000

Mitch2000
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Luckily I have not had any problems with the equipment (Yamaha HTIB40 & PW326515) I bought from hispek in January and they were excellent on price and delivery. You never really know how good any dealer is though until something goes wrong. I hope you have some joy with them and will be looking for your future posts on your probs.

3. orange

orange

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Harry

FYI the 7 day period begins the day after you received the goods, as I am sure Trading Standards told you.

Have you checked the Hi-Spek terms and conditions about whether they state you have to pay the cost of return, if not then you can refuse to pay it.

Credit Card compaines are always good for fighting these things.

Good luck.

4. Iancity

Iancity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Harry, sorry to dissapoint you but I believe that Hi-Speks terms and conditions do state you have to pay for any returns, faulty or not.

I had loads of problems with this co., Sony themselves eventually replaced my FQ75, when Hi-Spek would not, merely saying that "you don't get as brand new car 6 months after you have bought one just if something goes wrong" when it was the third TV they had sent me, all of which had the same fault!

5. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,660
    I think it's fair for people to have to pay for the return of a product if they decide that they don't want it.
    And it's because the definition of faulty is sometimes (as in your case) 'fuzzy', then I'll say again what I have said before.
    Sorry folks (and advertisers), but I wouldn't recommend buying a TV mailorder under any circumstances.

6. harry66

harry66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Never buy TVs Mail Order? Even buying from a store does not guarantee you can make the right decision.
    Most TV stores I visited seem to have a variable quality video signal attached to the TV. It is quite possible to see a £400 Bush looking as good as or even better than a £1000 Sony - purely because the source signal is better on the Bush.

7. Nyquil Driver

Nyquil Driver
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Harry- I bought a JVC from Hi-Spek which I considered to be faulty (it had faint lines obscuring the edges of the image). I did initially have concerns about how difficult/obstructive they might prove to be but they've been very helpful and co-opertive in my case.

They arranged the (free) pick-up themselves and haven't caused me any headaches as of yet. I guess my situation is 'on-going' in some respects as I haven't actually received a replacement yet, but I certainly don't have any complaints concerning Hi-Spek's service (see the visiting engineer thread for full details)....

8. Curly99

Curly99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    Thread cleaned up and closed to avoid confusion after a post was removed for breaking the forum rules.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.