Hi, Sorry to ask, I'm sure it's been asked a million times before but I can't find it. How to watch USB stick with films on panasonic tx-40ex600b

Holder2020

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi, sorry to ask, I'm sure it's been asked a million times before but I can't find it. I'm trying to help my Dad, it's his telly. How does he/is it possible to watch a USB stick with films on a panasonic tx-40ex600b. We have put the usb in the usb port on the back and looked for 'Media Player' but we can't find it and it doesn't automatically see it in 'Devices' but as I'm not with him and only doing it over the phone it's proving tricky. I've searched youtube for instruction videos etc. etc. but can't find anything. Thank you in advance to anyone that can help.

Don't know about that particular TV but usually, the Mem stick has to be the correct format that the TV can read (FAT32, Ext2/3 or NTFS) You need to check the manual to find that.

Also, the video files need to be of a type that the TV can read. This could be, MKV, AVI, mpeg etc.

Again, info should be in the user manual.

Until you get these specifics right, it won't play anything (I guess)?

Thank you very much for your speedy reply. He also has a Humax maybe it will work through that but I'll get my son to check it it's in the right format first. Thank you again.

The specs for that TV are here. It's listed as having a media player app and this is usually included with Panasonic's OS (my Home Screen) so shouldn't normally need downloading but if it really is missing, then it might be listed in the app store.

The TV supports all the usual formats (AVI/HEVC/MKV/WMV/MP4/M4v/FLV/3GPP/VRO/VOB/TS/PS). I would avoid .mov as that isn't listed.

As mentioned above, you need to make sure the USB stick is suitably formatted first. If it doesn't show up in 'Devices', then this would be the first thing I'd check. The safest formatting to use is the (older) FAT32 - just note this limits individual file sizes to 4GB. There are two USB sockets so you could try both.

The manual for that TV doesn't appear to be particularly helpful so you may have to check the 'eHelp' option in the TV's menu if you need more info.

Hello Mike,
Thank you so much for being so helpful. We will check formats and go from there. Thank you very much. Stay safe.

Hello Mike,
Thank you so much for being so helpful. We will check formats and go from there. Thank you very much. Stay safe.

Not a direct answer, obviously easier and cheaper if you can just use the inbuilt media player in your TV.

But if your getting nowhere fast and don't mind paying then you can easily add a external media player like a Vero 4k+ that you'll connect up via HDMI that will play back anything you can throw at it (this will have the added bonus of automatically giving you thumbnails/synopsis etc. for all the movies it finds). Another alternative is a Google Chomecast and then cast the video from your laptop (or phone) [update: just read this is for you Dad so that option may not be so practical if he doesn't have a laptop/isn't used to using one]

Thank you Jamieu. I'm sending all these replies to my son who will be helping my father. I don't think he'll want to buy another system/external thing, he has a Humax too. He's a bit over it! We might go old school and burn to DVD! Thank you very much for helping.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom