Hi Res Audio and speakers

Discussion in 'Music Streamers' started by IceIcebaby, Dec 31, 2016.

1. IceIcebaby

IceIcebaby
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am thinking of buying a Marantz MCR511 music streamer that is capable of playing Hi Res Audio. Do I need to buy Hi Res Audio speakers or will any modern speakers be able to play Hi Res Audio quality?

Thanks.

2. kelly200269

kelly200269

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Ordinary hifi speakers, amplifier etc will be fine.

3. PiperCub

PiperCub
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +278
    Only thing with hi bit rate music is you need very decent speakers and electronics and sources to exploit the benefits - in the thousands id say on my experience. Cd or ripped cd through a streamer in a very decent system can sound just as good as lots depends on quality of amplification.

4. CJT-80

CJT-80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I play HiRes (FLAC) files via a Pi2 and a HiFiBerry DAC currently via a Yamaha Amp and a pair of Mordaunt Short (MS) M20's. They are connected via Furukawa speaker cable... and it sounds great to me. I guess it depends if you prefer Standmount (Bookshelf - I hate that term) or Floorstanding.

What's your budget for a pair?

5. CJT-80

CJT-80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I do wonder, if our ears (in general) can really pick up the benefits... but that's another debate altogether :)

6. PiperCub

PiperCub
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +278
    Your ears can pick up the difference but my experience is it requires decent kit as I say. I started with tannoy dc6t se's with a Cyrus 6dac fed with a laptop playing high bit rate stuff on various recordings up to 24/192. I also had a cyrus cd transport and I couldn't tell any differences between cd and higher bit rate of the same album/music between the cd and high bit rate formats. Moving up to some amp improvements and changing to pmc 20-23s I still couldn't. When I massively changed the amps and went to Cyrus signature amps I could notice the difference, but I'd spent £7k on amps by that point. I do hear a bigger difference again changing speakers to pmc 25-23s recently. You tend to get a slightly higher frequency sound in my system with more detail and as if every note is packed in, where the same cd (or ripped cd through my Cyrus stream x signature) can be missing a little, but the cd (or same streamed track) is smoother with less edginess of notes in high frequencies. It's a different sound and I'd never say one is better that the other because so much depends on the recording and the dynamic range of the cd (you can look this up online on a site) but most importantly the quality of amplification and Dacs, has a huge bearing on the overall sound. I used to think high bit rate would be better in any system just because it has so much more information but this isn't the case. The sound depends on the file first, then the dac, then amplification and then speakers, with cabling in too, so there are lots of variables and if any one is not decent to yield benefits you will not hear a difference for hi res. I'd almost say don't be fooled by the advertising for budget separates systems and hi res, it's nothing more than that - just buy the best you can sound amplification wise and don't bother with hi res in such systems. It's not elitism or hi fi snobbery because as I say I was in the bracket of a budget system where I never heard any difference. Like always, spending more the law of diminishing returns comes into play. This is only my experience but I'm sure it's true of many others.

7. PiperCub

PiperCub
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +278
    Absolutely agree. Musical coherence and layering too. That said I've got a few tracks in MP3 low bit rate that sound fantastic through my pmc 25-23s and Cyrus signature gear. It tends to be where the recording is good and uncomplicated. In the cyrus dac XP signature having twin upsampling 32 bit dacs in a dual mono design with power supplies for each channel makes the most of very low bit rate stuff, I think.

The comparison between lossy low bit rate music and lossless decent bit rate music is always night and day to differences between lossless ripped cd and hi res tracks. I think most would hear this difference on most seperates systems. I know I would.

Ive no experience of active speakers but I do know the quality of amplification and power supplies has a huge bearing, as is obvious. Happy listening.

8. CJT-80

CJT-80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    My Dad has got into the "expensive" range of Hi-Fi XX thousand here, xx thousand there. But with him I now wonder IF he can at the tender age of 83 really still hear a difference. However as he's happy to do that, neither I nor my Mum stop him. His latest idea is a £2,300 Record Cleaning Machine.... Audio Desk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner Pro (Record Cleaning Machine) - But like I said it keeps him happy...

I doubt I would ever get into that realm of cost!

This is why I love to come here and hear other opinions and views :)

9. PiperCub

PiperCub
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +278
    Hi CJT 80
    My dads 75 and he said the same thing to me about my system (I'm 42), that he wouldn't hear it. I suppose if your ears are the same and not getting worse the quality of hi fi is all relative. Thankfully he is not into it like me so maybe it won't affect any inheritance lol, if my interest in it could bankrupt me. Lol
    Cheers piper cub.

10. CJT-80

CJT-80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Sadly I think (and my Mum agrees) that my Dad's hearing has diminished. I would suggest the blame lies not just perhaps with older age, but several visits to both Ronnie Scott's (Jazz Club in Soho, London) but several live concerts with Trumpets being played to the max....

11. PiperCub

PiperCub
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +278
    I wasn't arguing they are not great and I've never heard them. But there is something to be had in quality components over lesser quality in hi fi. I'm not going to tell you that your view is wrong because you are entitled to it and the subjectivity of hi fi is fascinating but it's easy to form an opinion you can't Improve on quality or that a speaker is best possible for you or I. My sister says my Ford car hi fi is as good as my home set up, but clearly it's her view but she doesn't know what to listen out for.

But £1200 smallish active monitors will not beat say pmc fact 12s with Bryston highest spec amps etc (I'm not playing top trumps here) on loads of variable such as dynamics, power, scale, clarity, soundstage etc. It's just not going to happen. The quality of materials and design. What amps and speakers have you had in the past for comparison reasons.

12. PiperCub

PiperCub
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +278
    They look impressive speakers and I suspect can really shake the plaster out of the walls with em! Hope you enjoy them.

Maybe we shouldn't go off post but my system wouldn't match the system I mentioned out of common sense. My system is more modest than that but still very good. cyrus' signature kit is very good and I'm very pleased with the pmc 25-23s I bought.

Here are some pics of my kit if you are interested.

Attached Files:

13. PiperCub

PiperCub
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +278
    Yes quality of drivers, cabinets and very well engineered. And with pmc's usual atl transmission line port at the front. The cabinets are very stiff and hardly resonate at all because of the internal bracing because of the internal transmission line. New speakers like mine have two atl ports with technology to funnel the bass air (laminair pmc call it). I don't so much give much of a care for all this, just for how they sound and look which is terrific.

14. CJT-80

CJT-80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21

It's funny you should mention the PMC's as my Dad has a pair of his own... the PB1i's - PB1i | PMC Loudspeakers

Out of interest in your setup (excellent pics) what order are they in in this image: https://www.avforums.com/attachments/img_0702-jpg.807014/ Pre-Amp, CD/Transport, Streamer, ??, dual mono block power amps? :)

15. PiperCub

PiperCub
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +278
    Oh the latest pmc speakers (twenty5 series) blow the older pmc pb speakers out of the water. The twenty5s blow the older twenty series which I had out of the water too.

If your dad wants to 'blow' a load of money on hi fi, rather then the cleaning gadget you said, he should listen to these 25 series speakers. What amps does he have?

From top I have (all cyrus)
    - Stream x signature streamer (started as a stream x2 but upgraded), has tidal function and plays music off a nas drive up to 24/192 quality.
    - cd-t cd transport, a CD player without a dac so just has digital out to dac XP sig.
    - DAC XP signature pre amp and dac : 32 bit upsampling dual mono balanced design with xlr outputs. Seperate dac for each channel hence dual mono, so not a stereo dac. dac and pre stages have seperate power supply inside because two toroidal transformers.
    - psx-r power supply for dac XP sig. powers anologue filter stages. Is an essential add on, you can use these with all sorts of cyrus devices to isolate power supplies in the main units to do different things.
    - two mono x200 signature mono block power amps : brilliantly fluid amps, switching for RCA or Xlr.

I have all chord cables - signature tuned array xlr cables, epic reference speaker cable, digital anthem tuned array.

16. CJT-80

CJT-80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21

WOW it's an impressive set up, and sounds to be worth every penny!

He has Jeff Rowland Corus Pre-Amp - Corus and the Model 525 Stereo Power Amp - Model 525 Stereo Amplifier

All are fed by "special" (I don't know the term) shielded power cables, and from a Russ Andrews Power Block - The PowerBlock with UK SuperSockets

He also has a CD Player (but don't know the model) and a Mitchell Orb Turntable.

CD is his only digital medium.