1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi-quality lower-res vs. lower-quality HD res - Advice?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by fryguy, Jun 2, 2005.

1. fryguy

fryguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been starting to research a new home theater projector and settled in the neighborhood of the Sony VPL-HS51/Panasonic PT-AE700U/Sanyo PLV-Z3/Benq PE7700 (all 1280x720 native res projectors in the $2000-$3500 range). My local home theater store guy tells me I should seriously consider doubling my projector budget to go with the "higher quality" Sim2 Domino 20H, which has a native resolution of 1024x576. Now I know that there are many more factors than resolution that make up a "good picture", but at a time when HDTV is blowing up, should I "invest" in a projector that's not near HD resolution with the rationale being "it's a better quality projector"?

2. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,031
    I think the simply answer is you should go and see them in action. So far, the only advice you have had is from a salesman recommending you spend double your original budget

I thik you need to establish it is much better in the picture department, before worrying about resolutions.

3. neil c

neil c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi fryguy,
    I've just ordered a Z3 from Shootandshow.co.uk (Nexnix) after considering the same factors as you.

If its any help, check this thread out, it covers the details of why I chose the Z3 and HD LCD, although most of it is related to video games;

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=216700

Once I've got the Z3 on Friday I'll post some details of how it performs in the above thread. I'll be using it with a Samsung DVD HD850 upscaler, an Xbox in Hi-Def, Sky and I'll try out some WMVHD files from my PC as well.

I've not seen a lower resolution DLP PJ in action (such as the InFocus SP 4805, which I wrote off because of it's noise levels), but I'll compare the Z3 to an old Hitachi C225 800 x 600 PJ just for fun.

4. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    must admit fryguy if the only thinkg he said was to double your budget then im afraid he is trying to line his pockets more rather than get you the best machine for your needs. no doubt the Sim2 products are fantastic but when they are that price id expect it to be. saying that the other PJ's you mentioned are very nice as well so as Urban Said go check them out in action and see if doubling your budget is a decision you need to make. seeing as you used $ in your post maybe USA/Aus you guys get regular High Def and dosnt that look good on any 720p and above pj :devil:

5. fryguy

fryguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not necessarily sure that pocket-lining was motive for the advice. I told the guy that my overall budget for home theater-izing my basement was $10,000 (yes, US), and that I envisioned my budget breaking down something like this:

$1000 A/V receiver
    $4000 speakers
    $3500 projector
    $1000 screen
    $500 cables, etc.

He basically recommended stealing budget from my speakers category and use it toward upgrading the projector. So it was more reallocation than a simple "double your budget for my benefit" stance. He sells a projector in my price range (an NEC, not any of the ones I had mentioned), but suggested I'd get more bang for my buck by putting more budget towards a "quality" projector and a little less on speakers.

While I appreciate his honest opinion, my problem with his approach is that I'd kind of like the speakers I get to be the last ones I ever buy, but I can see projector technology rolling over many times in my lifetime, thus "requiring" :) an upgrade sometime in the future. I just don't foresee being regretful for investing in speakers for a LONG time. But at a time when projector technology costs are rapidly falling and features are rapidly accumulating, I have a harder time justifying buying a 4-cylinder Ferrari over a V8 Mustang at half the price.

I agree, though, I need to see the Sim2 in action to make my own "quality" assessment. Just wondered if anyone had already gone through a similar comparison in their buying process.

6. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    DLP does offer a more 'filmic' image compared to a similar resolution LCD projector due to the smaller (and lighter) gaps between the mirrors (pixels) which results in a smoother image.
    But what you must also consider with DLP technology is the possibility of suffering from 'rainbows'. On the Sim2 this possibility should be reduced, but due to the method by which DLPs produce colour, it can never be completely elliminated and if you are prone to this phenomena, then DLP could be off your shortlist. As UrbanT says, audition first. If DLP is fine, there are many , many other equally impressive models out there for considerably less than the Sim2. Infocus and Optoma spring to mind but also the new BenQ models are worth considering offering DLP technology AND 720p resolution for under $2k. The BenQ has been critisized for it's progressive scanning but with the money you'd save, you could invest in a high quality DVD player with , say a Faroudja Progressive scanner built in like for instance the Denon 2910 and then you'll have a superb projected image for far less than the lower res Sim.
    This is of course just a suggestion and nothing compares to an audition, but just don't think that the expensive Sim2 is your only option to Home Theatre heaven!!

7. mjw1999

mjw1999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    i suffer from rainbows with dlp
    so i decided on lcd and took a look at the hs50 and panny ae700.
    i decided on the sony for £1595 and spent £750 on a denon 3910 dvd which has a faroudja scailer which sends an output of 720p via hdmi to the projector.
    the picture simply looks stunning and if like me dlp is a no go area then these 2 machines provide a great output for a total cost of around £2350.