1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi Power screen for a Sony HS50?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by cartman69, Jan 3, 2005.

1. cartman69

cartman69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    This is my first post so be nice :) Okay so I've finally took the plunge and ordered my 1st projector - a Sony HS50 :clap: I think I'm right in that most people go for lower gain screens for LCD. I've read a number of reports of brightness issues on the HS50, so I was thinking of getting something like a DA-Lite HI-Power or a Hi-gain screen. The projector will be used for films mainly on a night in a fairly darkened room. The projector wil be shelf mounted approx 2ft behind and 1ft higher than seating position. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. hebawom

hebawom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. cartman69

cartman69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    thanx for the info I had considered the DRH screen but thought a 3.2 gain maybe overkill :) and as you say they're a bit expensive.

4. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    At that level of gain you will run into severe problems with accurate colour and brightness rendition :eek: . Trust me all you need for a LCD design is a matt white screen or a gain as near to one as possible :lesson: with my CRT which has a very low light output compared to LCD/DLP designs I use a 1.25 gain screen :) Get in contact with Lynda at screens UK for some good advice :smashin:

5. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    The High gain screen from DRH has plenty of snap to the image and I did like it but ultimately went for the Matte White.

6. cartman69

cartman69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    thanx again i may go for a nexnix 1.2gain or maybe a drh. I noticed in a similar thread somebody recomending a grey screen for increased blacks - any thoughts??

7. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Matt white, matt white, matt white, matt white :D . The gain rating of a screen is not like the power rating of an amp or the contrast ratio of a PJ. A greater gain does not make a screen better :) If anything it can be detrimental to the PQ. A 1.2 gain would be ideal for a CRT where it has a limited output, but for LCD (I used to own one) matt white is best 99.99% of the time :thumbsup: www.ellie.co.uk do some excellent screens for the money :)

8. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    A grey screen darkens the image by reflecting less light. I found them to look a bit odd in comparison to a white screen but others swear by them.

9. cartman69

cartman69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Thunder - So I gather you are saying matt white then, your post didn't make it quite clear :) Now that's settled all I've got to decide on is screen size, 720p and live with the overscan or 1080i via HDMI, HTPC or scaler and lots of other stuff to squeeze the last .000000001% out of it!!! and I haven't even got it yet :) Think I may cancel the order for the proj and buy myself a nice 14" portable telly - the one I've got now has a fantastic picture without scaling and fancy digital connections :)