1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi, newbie advice needed on new projector

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Gene, Aug 5, 2004.

1. Gene

Gene
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi, been lurking around for a week and thought I'd join.

I'm on the verge of buying a new projector and where else to ask for advice but here.

My budget is under £800 (I know very low but I'm not a super home cinema enthusiast).

I saw the Infocus X1 and was about to order it for £600, until I went into a shop in Tottenham Court Road in Central london, and they did a demo of the Hitachi PJTX10. It looked very nice projected onto a simple light green wall.

I haven't seen a demo of the X1, but I've seen a lot of good reviews and some complaining about the rainbow effect on X1 DLP.

the Hitachi PJTX10 is an LCD projector and the picture seemed good to me as well as the size of picture obtained at not too far a distance from the screen.

So please, which one should I go for, the Infocus X10 or the Hitachi PJTX10, which I've seen costing £700, so only £100 difference between them.

Regards

2. Gene

Gene
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well I went and bought an X1 and am just trying at at this moment. So far looks very nice. :)

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    also consider the infocus 4800.

4. Gene

Gene
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I watched my first film on my new X1. The Hulk looked fantastic, just projected onto my yellow wall. Also connected up my freeview box to watch a bit of telly on it. So far I'm very pleased with it.

Now I think I need to make my home made screen (won't spend a fortune on a professional screen).

I'll probably visit some curtain shops to see if they have that blackout lining stuff, probably get around 6 foot by 5. and just hang it up on the wall with hooks.

:)

5. BigGEORDIE

BigGEORDIE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi GENE . nice to hear your happy with your choice. :smashin: The only problem I had with the X1 was the light spill at the top & bottom of a 16.9 image. So when making your screen take this into acount.read my post about Infocus X1 16.9 image from a 4.3 chip. Also there is loads of advice about making your own screens in this forum.

6. andhoey

andhoey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi there all , i read an article in a pc mag that said you can flash upgrade the x1 to make it the same as the screenplay 4800.anybody confirm this .from what ive been reading there are a lot of clones out there.

7. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    There's a link in the FAQ at the top of the page to a detailed x1 site, maintained by Technut..... Click Here for more information.

Sean.