1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi, new and perplexed!

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Eth, Jun 17, 2004.

1. Eth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Hi there, great forum, I've been lurking and reading for a few weeks now.

Anyway... I've been a HiFi junkie for a few years now and always wanted to get into home cinema, but I've never been able to afford to. Now I've had a little luck and I have decided to take the plunge, with about £2000 to spend, although the less the better as this is a first step. I don't want to make any huge expensive mistakes :)

My conundrum at the moment is on my choice of TV. I'm pretty much set on a rear projection TV (note from here on in my complete innocence of the whole thing will begin to show...) and I'm pretty set on a 42WH36P from Toshiba (though I may totally lose my marbles and buy the 51"). My main use will be DVD, a ps2 and a gamecube, and of course some TV (digital, probably NTL). That also leaves me some cash for some decent surround sound equipment (decent in a relative way).

My main concerns are...

Burn In - How much of an issue is this these days with rpTv's. It's the consoles that concern me here, and the alarming tendency of TV channels to leave static logos in the corner all the time.

Smoking - Probably a silly question but do these screens have problems with smoky environments and how easy are they to clean without scratching. On that subject how resiliant to damage are these screens - are we talking about something that you can put a hole through with alarming ease?

TV-Lifetime - What's the lifespan like on this type of TV. I can't exactly afford to buy one of these very often :)

My head is telling me a large 32" standard CRT is the sensible thing to get considering the use I want to put it to - but the Film crazed lunatic inside me won't go down without a fight and really wants me to buy that rpTV!

Any help and thoughts would be appreciated.