Hi, Need so advice deciding a Projector

skibbles

Banned
hi guys

as the tittle suggests, i need some advice deciding between a few projectors. would love to order it as soon as possible :D

I very new to projectors and have been reading up as much as i can past week or so, so please forgive me.. Only going to use it for watching films on and playing games on a PS3 as i have a seperate 32inch for Sky viewing which is enough for me..

will be projecting onto a wall untill i get the screen side of it sorted.

My budget is £400 at the most. I'd love to spend more now that my eyes have opened to the world of projectors but can't afford it...

i have come across a few models which i'll run though you guys and hopefully we can come to conclusion on which is the best..

wasnt sure about 2nd hand ones although came across a few with hardly any use(so they say)..

the ones ive seen are
OPTOMA HD 600x (£379 currys)
OPTOMA HD 65
HD 67
HD 70

i have a few links below of some items ending soon on ebay that i have my eye on.. any of them worth it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Optoma-HD...g_Sound_Vision_Projectors&hash=item2a20b9761f

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=261071058315&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123#shId

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200799754026

thanks in advance guys..

speak soon:thumbsup:

Last edited:

DistortionNat

Might be worth looking on the classifieds here for a second hand one.
Things to look out for when buying used are dead/stuck pixels, used lamp hours and dust blobs (LCD models).
I sold my old Panny AE700 on here a couple of years ago for around your budget price and it was a good projector.
I personally would stay well clear of PJs on eBay ;)

skibbles

Banned
cheers for the quick response. will have a look!

just curious if the dead pixels would be something to watch out for when buying a screen right?

had a feeling you might warn me to steer away from ebay.. currently have my eye on HD67n for under £300 with only a few hours use. just getting in touch with the seller as he said he has the reciept for it.. so maybe worth looking into that?

would you know which is better between the HD600x , HD67n or HD700x?

skibbles

Banned
hi guys

have my eye on a optoma HD600x for ps3 gaming. it looks good, has a good 720p resolution and decent lumens and contrast..

is this a good choice for a projector anyone.... optoma hd600x £350?

kbfern

Distinguished Member

skibbles

Banned
Acer H5360 HD-3D Ready-DLP Projector can get this for 375? is it worth it anyone..

theres a gy selling me his HD67n for £20 with receipt only 3 months old.. sounds like a good deal..im pretty much sold..what do you guys think tho..?

skibbles

Banned
hi guys.. thanks for all your responses..

kbfern - hi, cheers for you input.. it was only after reading your thread i decided to become a member so nice one. keep up the good work. yup the hd600x is new for that price.. looks worth it aswell.

any comments on the HD67n for £250 3months old.. bid ends today and ive been in touch with the seller who will give me the reciept.. is this a good one.. great price etc.. or is it abit old?

skibbles

Banned
true romance- thanks, nice one.. the acer is the 3d as you suggested. and brand new. altho from gumtree which is only reason im holding back as im not sure if its genuine..

skibbles

Banned
ok..so had a look, not many offers around unfortunatley.. not sure how long it will be so just going to go for either a

optoma hd700x
optoma hd67n

if you anyone could comment on which one would be best, i have no idea..both look good

kbfern

Distinguished Member
The 67n for £250 would be a good buy but if the price goes to £275-300 I would get the 600x as it will be brand new with 12 months warranty for only £50-75 more.

camshell

Standard Member
i have a hd600x-lv and i absolutley love it
i play bf3 on it and its imense

skibbles

Banned
if you had to pick between the HD600x or HD700x which would it be and why..? stuck between these two

thanks allot for your help

w0mble

Banned
All the optoma's (65 &67n)require a 3d converter(3d-xl) to view 3d. So don't expect that unless you spend 120-220 extra for that and then some more for each 3d pair of dlp link glasses.
I found difficulties with hd70 picking up signals from the xbox and ps3 throughbthe hdmi unless I used the 3d-xl.
Optoma were no help and I had this issue with 2 hd70's.

Personally I find the hd70 a bit washed out for gaming with any background light on a wall(no screen) . Hd 65 better and can't complain about the picture quality for a 720p. The problem is a lot of people on the bay say only 3months old but what they mean is the bought it off ebay themselves 3 months ago. And the hrs they have used not the total hrs ever used. So ask.

Now when the seller says no returns that means nothing (if new or used)you always have 2 weeks to send back under the distant selling act and 40days ebay and paypal protection if something should go wrong.
Now this goes out the window if you collect in person, as ebay say you have checked it. I generally prefer to have it sent unless an amazing deal that needs to be picked up but that's a gamble.

That sharp is a big unit 10kg SharpVision Projectors: SharpVision XV-Z20000 DLP projector this is more or less the same (one is European one is US model ). The contrast is not really true because it uses the iris for best black and white but not at the same time. I have used it personally but I would imagine has slight bit of noise as a few years old. It is a 1080p so in a dark room will look amazing but its only 1000 lumens that's fine for a blacked out room but useless in day and ambient light for gaming. It is a very good price though I think. But does it tick your boxes.

Another thing about hd 70 is I have had problems with 3, colourwheels and overheating .

Got an hd65 in the corner I bought of ebay with no bulb . Just put a new one in used about 20 hrs few films, MW3 and street fighter on a green wall was awesome. Don't use anymore because use 1080p's now and brighter 720ps but the colour out of the box is great.

If portable and bight is what you need dell are very good , especially m410hd. It's 85% uniformity which is very good, dlp link 3d-ready, 2000 lumens. laser pointer on remote 4000 or 5000hrs in eco ,dlp(may see a rainbow but less goes wrong with it ,colour doesn't fade like lcd) , only 1kg, carry case and if get dell warranty awesome next day replacement(this transferable if you buy off bay).

skibbles

Banned
wow.. thanks allot for the detailed response.. learnt allot there.

i'll be intouch with the seller for the N67n.. there arnt any normal unit around for good price just the 3d ones..altho dont really plan on going into 3d yet but good to know option is there..

if im correct is the hd70 you mentioned the same thing as the hd700x..

thanks for the tips on dell, i'll have to look into those now...

ive noticed allot feedback saying the HD67n gives off allot of Rb effect.. not many videos on youtube to be sure.. however if you take a look at the hd700x videos it looks really clear..

reason i say between the 2 is because there both on auction and for low prices ending in an hour.. difference is i can pik up the 700x today :D... can't seem to find the model number for it on optoma site so i held back when buying..

w0mble

Banned
Most hd's are the same
hd20=hd200x
hd70 =hd700x
Hd83=hd8300
Hd86=hd8600

I know that cus Optoma told me just black and white cases and even though the lumens and contrast levels are suppose to be different they are the same!

However I'm not sure that the case with the hd33 and hd300x

w0mble

Banned
If you like I see rainbows but can keep you head still and not move around like a spider on crack or an OCD videophile looking for rainbows it should be fine. You should look out for segment size and colour wheel speed but saying that think the dells were less than optoma's but less rainbow go figure.

skibbles

Banned
lol thats the other thing. i havnt ownded any pj to know if i see the RB effect badly.. just videos veiwed online ..mainly of the hd67..although the seller claims he has never experienced it ... ive seen another hd67 going for a low price and will keep my eye on it..

i think ive finally come to a decision on which two to go for...hd600x-lv or hd67.. sound good?

should i be looking at the dells aswell ? just checked the colour wheel speed for the dell m410hd is 2x seems pretty slow doesnt it.. so confusing..

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sonus faber unveils new flagship Arena speaker series
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sharp showcases its upcoming 4K TV and audio line-up
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
HiFi Rose announces all-in-one RS520 audio streamer
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
What's new on Netflix (UK) for October 2022