Hi-Md or Network Walkman? I just don't know!

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by toby151, Jun 12, 2005.

1. toby151

toby151

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Evening all, sorry in advance for a kind of rambling post, i'm just hoping someone can help me out of a bit of a mess. Basically at the moment I'm trying to decide as you may have guessed by the subject, between a Hi-Md recorder and a network walkman. I want something that i can use as a portable music player to play the music I've uploaded from CD onto my PC. The added twist is that I am a musician who would find Minidisc's recordability a really useful function. The problem i now have is that while i would find the recording functions of a minidisc player useful, i would also have to spend time changing discs and not be able to carry around all of my music at once. I have something in the region of 10gb of music, so i would have to carry 10 Hi-MD discs to have access to my music library. A network walkman, on the other hand would be insanely convenient in carrying all of my music, but does not have the recording function. I appreciate that no-one can make this choice for me, but if anyone has any useful addvice that would be fantastic. If it helps the models i'm looking at are the Sony MZ-RH10 Minidisc walkman and the Sony NW-HD5 network walkman.
    Thanks for reading!
    Toby

2. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I used minidisc players for about 4 years, including the MZ-NH1, before I got my first hard drive player about six months ago and for your situation I would recommend the HD minidisc as a more suitable option. Sony's top-end range minidisc players have 10's of functions more than any hard disc player. Even though it is more convenient for me to have all my music in my pocket, I seriously miss all the functions on my minidisc players.

Hard disc players have a far more minimalist approach and the players can basically just play music, uploaded from a computer and double as an external storage device (but so can HD-MD). Depending on the make and model of the player, you might have more options tweaking the sound - but that is about it.

There is no analogue recording, line in, no fibre optic in/output, adding track marks or even editing names on the player - there are a horde of functions you will have to do without in exchange for your whole library in your pocket...

On the other hand carrying 10 discs (or which ever ones you might be using) doesn't sound too bad, considering you can then use your unit more flexibly when it comes to recording some of your own work or copying a cd from a stereo instead of a computer...

3. Kaledii

Kaledii

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I agree with most of the previous post too. I've used minidiscs for a number of years and last year bought the MZ-NH1, which is a fantastic player. Indeed you can get from Amazon for just over £100 at the moment and that is a seriously good price.
    At the time I was updating my minidisc player to the NH1 I did seriously consider a HDD unit, however I was very underwhelmed by what the the makers of HDD units were offering (including the iPod), particularly given the prices were a lot higher than they are now. I also had an investment in minidiscs (a couple of other players that I use in the gym etc) so decided that for the moment the NH1 would be sufficient for my needs. If I were buying today then I think I would actually go for the HD5 simply for having all my music on the device instead of several discs, which is very useful for using a player in the car. Having said that, consider that you can get approximately 34 albums on a 1GB disc at 64KPS (very reasonable quality for portable use), which I have done for a couple of discs and the remainder are at 132KPS (very very good quality), which fits about 18 albums. You said that you have 10GB worth, but at what bit rate, because if these are at a high bit rate, you could convert them down to a lower bit rate and use fewer discs. Anyhow, I've probably not been of great help overall, but consider the price of the NH1 at the moment and the needs that you have. This unit is a great bit of engineering has good battery life, sounds great and you can record on it.

4. toby151

toby151

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice guys, i'm certainly leaning towards the HI-MD recorder at the moment.

5. Catastrophe

Catastrophe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i noticed the battery life is 33 hrs with the supplied AND 1 AA battery, what if u just use the supplied battery, whats the battery life?