hi level vs low level???

Prize78

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Is it just me?....I listen to a lot of music via high level sub connection (stereo amp) and watch a fair few movies with low level connection. It seems to me that the bass is more noticeable and seemingly powerful with the high level stereo amp connection, than it is with the low level av amp connection. Obviously all the dials on the back remain in the same position....low level filter 20hz, high level 120hz, volume gain around 10-11 o clock, and crossover at 80hz.

Should this be the case??
For instance, spin a music dvd and sure, the bass is there, the cone is moving when it should be etc etc, but is it a thing with say DTS or Dolby Digital, that the sound is processed "differently"?

It's not that i am unhappy with the sound....far from it. It just seems "heavier" with the high level connection.
It seems apparent on music dvd's, but, spin a movie....especially one of the "big bass" ones, such as Cloverfield, and the sub about blows me out of the house!!!

Like i say, i've no problem with it, i'm just curious.

Ive just been having this exact conversation with another member who has just been to demo my sub. His REL uses both connections and he notices the exact same thing.

Are you using something like Pure Audio mode when you play music and use the high level connection as this makes a difference. If your answer is yes I'll explain why.

The high level connection (on the REL at least, and probably your sub too as I think they all do) uses a different roll off rate than the LFE channel. Basically if you measure your bass response with something like REW, the subs bass response drops off as the frequency increases. The rate at which it drops off is much slower for high level than low level which means the sub crosses over with the speakers more, but in theory transition is much smoother. Because there is a larger crossover area there is more chance of bass tones from the speakers and sub boosting each other too, so this can be why the bass seems heavier.

There are some that would say this is by far the best method for music, not least most of the music only hi-fi lovers, most of which love REL while the HT lot much prefer SVS over them.

It sounds like you just may agree with the music lovers.

Thanks for that Moonfly.....like i say, i was just wondering, as movies have got PLENTY of weight.

So it's not my ears then??!!

No its not your ears.

You didnt say if your using something like pure audio mode though for music. The LFE channel is normally removed at times like this and you speakers are switched to full range. If the speakers are capable of performing decently below 80 hz your going to get some bass reinforcement where the speakers and sub are boosting each other, which is another reason why you get that boost effect you speak of.

Its upto you if you prefer the characteristic of this sound. I think this is where personal preference starts to kick in.

Last edited by a moderator:
To be honest i've no idea!! I've just connected the sub to the amp and away i go. The only "mode" i'm aware of is Class A amplification (switchable)...other than that it's just a standard Marantz stereo amp.

So your using the stereo amp for music and an AVR for films? I think you are from memory now you mention it.

It basically works the same way as pure audio mode though. Speakers are full range so what I posted previously applies.

Good to hear someone enjoying their kit, rather than spending most of their time messing with settings and REW, like me :(

Ha ha, yeah exactly. I do get the feeling that too much fiddling will end up creating more problems than it's worth :D. I'm fairly "plug and play" with minimal tweaking if i can help it.....though i could do with having a look at my REW graph.....but maybe that's going to open a huge can of worms!!!

Yes, Stereo amp for music, AVR for movies. (High level and low level respectively)

Ah, i see!! Are you wishing you'd never started on the REW front Mr Moonfly??!!!!!

Not really, I quite like the tinkering, and I have learnt loads, plus I have got my system performance working as good as I can get it too so it has been worth while.

There are times though when I sit trying to watch or listen to something, and I'm looking for improvements from tweaks instead of just enjoying what I have.

I know exactly what you're saying. Although the question begs....where do you draw the line? :rotfl:. Just when you think you've got it sorted, something else will crop up eh?!!!! :thumbsup:

I'm starting to think there are two contrasting elements to the whole process. What is considered technically correct, and what you like as a person. I think you'll be very lucky if the two are the same thing for you, and for me I dont think they are.

Part of me, for now at least, seems to struggle living with that.

I think the only way to go is what sounds best to you. To me that's what it's all about.

Just watching the tele now with the sub etc on, and there's a load of bass coming through!! (AVR)

Oh well....who knows!!

That is always the way to go, I think I just have some sort of OCD about tweaking to get another 1% performance :suicide:.

I think the problem is that different sources and genres of music have different perfect settings, what ever can you do eh.

Well exactly. I think above all you need to enjoy your gear, but in the same breath you want it to sound as good as you can get it. I think if you spend several hours every day tweaking,....i think that's pushing it a little!! :rotfl:

sorry for butting in, but is the high level conn the same as you find on older subs, with the 8 connections between the left and right input and output on the sub, where you use the actual speaker wires??

Pretty much, but how it actually connects to the sub at the sub end depends on the particular subs design. REL for example use the Neutrik Speakon connectors, while the EPOS Prize has just uses speaker wires like you describe, and the Monitor Audio GSW-12 uses phono jacks from an amps full range stereo outputs.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom