1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi Level Vs. LFE On Sub

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Timbo21, Aug 5, 2005.

1. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +312
    Hi All,

Last few evenings I've been playing 'round with my new Strata 5 :)

I first used with LFE input from 3805, & ended up with setting fronts to large & with 48hz xover on sub. This gave very good intergration with my Quad 11L's
    for music.

I then decided to try out the Speakon Hi level input straight from the L + R speaker terminals, since Rel rave about this for music. But, it doesn't seem
    to sound as good as the LFE input in terms of filling all the bass frequency
    holes. There seems to be more real low bass, but doesn't seem to intergrate
    as well in the 60 - 80hz (very dodgy guess here) range, even when I move the
    crossover up on the sub. Whatever I do, when I go back to the LFE, it just sounds right. You could say if it ain't broke don't try & fix it, but I was wondering why
    this could be?

Incidentally, I have two places I can put the sub. I feel it's in the best place
    I can put it. Also, phase is definitely right. And when switching between Hi & LFE
    I am not using a combination of both, although maybe this might be good?

T.

2. S H A D O

S H A D O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,572
    Hi

With the Denon and the Rel you can have the best of both worlds for music and movies. Try this:-

Connect the Rel to the Denon via both High & Low level (LFE). On the 3805 set all speakers to small, all bass to the sub. Set the sub crossover on the Denon to 80hz. Set the Low level volume control to around halfway and then use the Denon's auto setup to balance the channel levels. This will give you the best option for movies.

For Music all you need to do select the Direct or Pure Direct mode on the Denon. In this mode the bass management is bypassed and full range signals are sent to the front left and right channels. This is where the High level connection comes into play. Whilst in the Direct or Pure Direct mode adjust the SW Channel Level down to -12db then OFF. This switches OFF the low level (LFE) output of the Denon so you don't get any bass doubling. You'll need to adjust the High level crossover setting on the Rel to roughly where your main speakers start to roll off e.g 50hz. You will also have to manually balance the High level volume control to your liking.

Some of the Rel controls have changed since I had my Q200 (which had modes) but hopefully this will work well.

3. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +312
    Thanks Jase,

Only thing with Pure direct mode is, I don't like it. I normally am a purist, but
    it makes my Quad 11L's sound pretty dull & lifeless. I use it on 3910, but not keen
    on the 3805. Seems to sound much better with Room Eq on Normal after the Auto
    Setup.

T.

4. S H A D O

S H A D O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,572
    You can have the Room EQ on with Pure Direct if you want. You have to set this up in the Auto Setup/Room EQ menu by going into the Direct Mode setup.

5. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +312
    That's good.

Very helpful,

Thank you.