1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi Level or Low Level connections - what better?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Brad_Porter, Jul 19, 2002.

1. Brad_Porter

Brad_Porter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a REL Q150E connected to the system using the supplied Neutrik Speakon connection and find this sounds a little more 'real' and in tone with the rest of my Definative Tech system.

I wonder what other users use and what experience they with the different tyoes of connections - is the hi-level better then the low-level or should you use both?

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Hi

I use both on my Rel. Gives me the best of both worlds for music & movies.:)

3. Brad_Porter

Brad_Porter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Jase,

I seem to feel that a lot of people say that the REL Q150E is under powered and really not up to much cop. I feel a bit defalted as all the mags liked it so I bought it for £500.

Can you speak words of comfort to me of have I really made a huge mistake and bought a sub woofer that has problems (alledgeded problems from other forum users) such as high distortion levels and under power?

O my god.

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Hi

The most important thing is if you are happy with your sub and how it performs, then that´s all that matters.

I´ve got the Q200, again a model not as highly considered as other Rel models, and have played about with placement, settings, added marble slabs on top of it, put it on spikes etc. I´ve got it sounding very good & with a fairly flat frequency response.

BUT, it does start to distort at loud levels, theres no doubt of that, if you are´nt running at loud levels then its not really a problem.

There are certainly worse subs out there.

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    High level connections are mainly for music whilst low level should be used for home cinema as it is only through low level connections that you get the LFE output to the sub.

I used low level with my Def Techs and Q Bass when I had them.