Hi-level connection for Velodyne CHT-15

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by SOUNDSTYLE, Oct 28, 2002.

1. SOUNDSTYLE

SOUNDSTYLE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    I'm used to connecting hi-level to my REL using the supplied Neutrik connector (which was easy enough) but now that I have my new 15 what is the correct way to connect?

I popped into my local Seven oaks and they said that I only have to connect left/right from my Arcam 8R amp to the left/right inputs on the sub, I then went to my local Richer sounds and they say that I have to do that and then connect from the sub's outputs to my actual speakers (Monitor Audio)?

If I have to connect using the latter it will mean a hell of lot of extra cables laying on the floor. How exactly does it work? Why does speaker cable have to be connected directly to my speakers when the REL was not connected in this way???

I haven't a clue now.

Which ever way I have to connect to the 15 will the sound be as good as it was with the REL: Will it integrate nicely?

On a slightly different note: While in Seven oaks I saw for the first time the REL 200E. I could not believe how small it was compared to the CHT-15 I have now.

And on another note: Where can I buy speaker cable (to lengths I want) and choose what termination I have on one end or both, over the internet?
    I was thinking of hifistore. Do they do such a thing?
    I was thinking of Cable Talk 2.1 or similar. Will that do considering that I have Sonic Link AST60 connected to my main speakers at the moment.

Thanks in advance. I know there's a lot.

2. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,587
    Ok where to start,

Do you really have to have a high level connection?

I have the CHT 15 connected with a single phono cable from the sub out to the 15. I ave the sub intergrated very well with my speakers and just flick the music switch at the rear of the sub when listening to music and this works very well IMHO, with denons they still send the bass to the sub if speakers are set small which they should be IMHO.

I was surprised just how musical this sub is!

As for cables see the thread in power buy section for those who have bought from eric.

3. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,389
    Best way is to connect via the line level input - phono to phono.

4. SOUNDSTYLE

SOUNDSTYLE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    I always forget to say that I have a seperate amp (Arcam 8R and Arcam 8P) just for my music. It explained in another thread of mine (I will find it later) which is why I want to connect (using the hi-level) to the sub.

No one seems to use this method and uses their surround amp for both movies and music.

I use my Denon surround processor for movies and that controls the centre and rears (I'm just repeating myself but anyway.... :) ) and the Arcam's control the main speakers: The Denon passes the signal to my Arcam's.

What I'm going to do is connect for low-level (with xover switched out) and have the high-level connections removed when watching a movie, then when I want to listen to music with the sub controlling the low I will connect the speaker cable to the hi-level connections (xover swithched in), but I'm not too sure what the right way is to go as I've been told two different ways to connect to the sub?

And as noone seems to connect in this way anymore will I ever find out.:(

Thanks

5. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. SOUNDSTYLE

SOUNDSTYLE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Thanks. I'm sure someone explained it somewhere.:)
    Can someone explain how it works the way it does. Why doesn't every manufacturer of subs use the same connection that REL use, it would make life a lot easier.

Any comments anyone on obtaining speaker cable to the length I want and with terminations I want aswell?
    I have to get quite a few metres by the look of it:( so I don't want anything too expensive (or cheap!). I was thinking of about £2.50 a metre or there abouts.

7. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Go to www.hificables.co.uk and you'll find everything you need, they can terminate the cables as well if you want but you have to pay extra for that.

Regards
    Phil

8. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Rather than keep connecting/disconnecting the high level connections to the sub, why not just connect the sub to the 2nd set of speaker outputs on the 8P - you can then just switch in and out at the flick of a switch on the 8P.
    I'm assuming that your MA703 main speakers are already bi-amped by the 8R/8P Arcam combination (doesn't really matter for the above if they are not, but you may well be missing out on a free sound upgrade if they aren't).

So for movies it would be sub crossover switched out/8P second speakers off, and for music, sub crossover switched in at around 45Hz or so/8P second speakers on.

Once connected up this way, you then have several other options as to how you listen (and none of them require any further cabling)

You could leave the sub's crossover switched in, 8P second speakers on, and set the Denon for no subwoofer, fronts=large, centre/rears=small.
    The nice thing with this, is that it requires no changes in setup at all between movie and music listening.
    The potential drawback, is that for movies, both your front speakers and the subwoofer will then be handling the LFE channel content (setting subwoofer=no on your Denon will cause it to redirect the LFE to the main fronts).

You could leave the sub's crossover switched in, 8P second speakers on, and set the Denon for subwoofer=yes, fronts=large, centre/rears=small.
    Again, this setup requires no changes at all between movie and music listening.
    The difference now is that the LFE will be sent to the subwoofer via the low-level sub-out phono on the Denon - this will relieve the main speakers from having to produce it, but it means that the content will be filtered from 45Hz upwards, as opposed to the more conventional (and probably more correct) 80Hz.

In any case, once cabled up, just try them all and see which one suits best. Personally I think it's only when you start to push the volume that you "may" have an issue with the subwoofer=no/off alternative, when the Arcam amp/front speakers may run out of headroom attempting to reproduce the LFE channel, but try them all and see what you think.
    Personally I don't think I could live with the "switching" alternative, but it may not bother you.

As for connecting the sub to the amp, and then your 703s to the sub, the idea is that the speaker outputs on the sub are filtered, so it "prevents" low frequencies getting to the main speakers.
    How effective it is, is debatable, and IMO, it's really only the smaller satellite type speakers which "need" it, not really speakers like yours.
    You'd really have to try it to see if there were any degradation in the sound, especially for music - if not then that's possibly another option (not really needed in your case though IMO)

9. SOUNDSTYLE

SOUNDSTYLE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Thanks for that Mikek and everyone else.
    It never occured to me about the 2nd set of speaker outputs on the 8P.
    The problem I have is that I want Hi-fi sound using my Arcam's (I'm mad about my music) but will I be getting hi-fi if I connect up to the sub (using the sub's xover to control the bass?).
    That's the predicament I'm in. I did not realise how complicated this new sub would be when connecting up to my hi-fi system.
    The cost of getting good quality cable to connect to the sub/speakers is going cost quite a bit seeing as I need a total of 18 metres and if I don't like the sound quality it's a lot of money to waste.

Is there anyone on this forum that has connected their hifi system to their sub in the way that I want to? Is the sound good? That's all I want to know. But will I be getting hi-fi?
    Perhaps I should start a thread asking just this question.

Thanks