1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi, just a few questions and opinions please...

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Greybloke, Mar 8, 2005.

1. Greybloke

Greybloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Just found the forum.Some good info here, but very time consuming to get to the answers I need so please indulge me for the moment, as I'm sure these will probably have been covered before (sorry)

Have a large wall 6.0m long and the screen will be hanging in the middle. I realise its probably a matter of taste, but what is the recommended height for my intended 42" panel?

Having done a small amount of research I am tempted by a Pioneer PDP 435XDE ( if I can stretch the budget :thumbsup: ) I have looked at a few screens, and think the XDE is fantastic as well as being able to cope with the future? All I know is it wont be a Tiny :eek: What are owners opinions, good or bad, on this screen and what is the difference between this and the FDE?

I intend to mount the screen in my lounge on an outside masonry outside wall. I wish to place my AV gear and sky box etc in the corner of the room some 3.0m away. Can I take the cables thro the wall ( i.e. outside ) and then back straight back and into the screen? Alternatively I could run the various wires along the edge of my laminate floor and then cut a vertical conduit into the plaster wall surface. If I go this route what size conduit should I allow ( the screen remember has not been ordered yet, but I am keen to complete my house refurb, but allow for the future screen install)

Finally I can see a saving of about £1K by buying mail order / on line as opposed to a quality shop who will also install inclusive. Going for a Pioneer I will get at least 1 year warranty, so I now just have to decide if I can complete the install and set up myself. Is this a simple exercise?

Thanks in advance for any comments and ideas, this is a great site, but just too much info to absorb :thumbsup:

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    4) If you go to a pioneer works dealer you will get 2yr warranty, Installation depedning on wher you live is worth £250-£500 where do you live?

3. hermanmunster

hermanmunster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    1) I've always found that if you position the screen so that its centre is about the same height as your eyes (when you are seated) then that will give you the most comfortable viewing height. It's a matter of taste though as installing it that way it will appear to be rather low on the wall. Check out the pictures on the forum to see what suits you (and your partner :D )

3) No problem with routing the cable out then back in again; use a conduit though. size depends on how you connect. If using the Pio media box then that cable dictates size of conduit. You still have to get power up to the screen though and that's best dealt with within the plaster work.

4. Greybloke

Greybloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the input, live in Bedfordshire, and have not yet visited the local Pio dealership. Maybe they will install or recommend someone?

Think I will take the cables thro the wall as it will be neater. Fortunately already have power in the correct position, inspired eh :)