Hi I am using FFDSHOW to upscale my DVD`s to 720p. With all filter tricks like liited

I think VC1 has enough quality margin to look good on 15Gb if its tightly encoded.

However I have serious doubts as to BD using a microsoft codec as the mainstay for the format.

richard plumb said:
you know, if you think you're getting a better picture with all those filters, imagine what you could do with a HD source and those filters.... Granted it'd take some serious grunt and probably isn't possible yet, but you should eventually be able to do the same 'enhancements' to HD as you can with DVD.

The whole point of using ffdshow is to improve the scaling of standard definitiion material on higher resolution displays. If you are already up there resolution wiswe with the materila itself there is little point using ffdshow.

However I have serious doubts as to BD using a microsoft codec as the mainstay for the format.
I'm inclined to agree. If Sony opt for a second gen codec then they will go for AVP - however I doubt this will happen anytime soon - Sony will stick with MPEG2 for as long as they possible can. As, in the short, BluRay discs are mostly going to be sold to PlayStation fans they can get away with this and most won't have a clue :thumbsdow

BluRay discs are mostly going to be sold to PlayStation fans they can get away with this and most won't have a clue
Im failing to comprehend how they can see this working. Id gather that alot of the ps3 fanbase (not launch maybe but over time) will not be in ownership of a HDTV, they will unpack it the machine and use the standard composite cables that came with it. They may have been forced a blu-ray disk in a bundle and will chuck it in to see it. They wont see any noticable difference over dvd and will probably never bother with the format again.

Im failing to comprehend how they can see this working. Id gather that alot of the ps3 fanbase (not launch maybe but over time) will not be in ownership of a HDTV, they will unpack it the machine and use the standard composite cables that came with it. They may have been forced a blu-ray disk in a bundle and will chuck it in to see it. They wont see any noticable difference over dvd and will probably never bother with the format again.
This is how the vast majority of us see things panning out. Sony have put alot of faith in the PlayStation launching BluRay but the net effect could merely be damage to the brand, i.e. the higher price will push people towards the Xbox 360.

It should also be noted that XBox 360 owners have a high proportion of HD displays already, MS quote 65%, that is basically 6.5m units or something like that for this year.

All the film companies like warner brothers etc have all signed to iver blue ray or HD, so I take it this means you will only be able to watch films like the lord of the rings or star wars depending on which format the company has backed - is this true ?

So in other words its not the case that Toshiba HD have the rights to release every single DVD movie ever made for HD format ?

All the film companies like warner brothers etc have all signed to iver blue ray or HD, so I take it this means you will only be able to watch films like the lord of the rings or star wars depending on which format the company has backed - is this true ?
At the moment studio support is split. Looking at the big players only, support is as follows:

Sony, Fox, Disney, BV, Lionsgate are BluRay

Universal (due to MS control), Weinstein Company, Studio Canal are for HD DVD

Warner, Paramount, New Line, HBO are Dual format

...however with the exception of Sony and Universal, who are totally entrenched in their respective camps, all the others are likely to be heavily influenced by market forces: I'm sure Dual format support will become the standard.

The whole studio issue is quite deceptive at present. On paper things look quite good for BluRay - however in reality things are fairly equal when you consider international releases. Terminator 2 and "Stargate" are for example BluRay "exclusives" - but that isn't stopping a region free HD DVD release in Europe - see here. As the single format studios start to realise that their profits are being undermined by not supporting both formats I'm sure they will adopt both.

Nic Rhodes said:
So Jus,, just getting this straight, you put some HD on for 'eye candy' when your friends were around and they loved the experience? :) whilst you were waiting for a film...... ;) So how is this different from eye candy HD DVDs?

hahaha! caught me out :rotfl: well done :D

no...I enjoy eye candy as much as the next HD-DVD owner...just don't like people telling me HD-DVD's are "ace" without letting me know the film is pants/suspect and I'll only be buying it for the 5min space scene :thumbsup:

oh yes, the difference is that I wasn't told BBC proms was unequivocally "brilliant" and after I rushed out and paid £18.99 for it I found it was lame....although the £300 + 10 a month is rather steep I admit :D

JUS said:
hahaha! caught me out :rotfl: well done :D

no...I enjoy eye candy as much as the next HD-DVD owner...just don't like people telling me HD-DVD's are "ace" without letting me know the film is pants/suspect and I'll only be buying it for the 5min space scene :thumbsup:

At the end of the day does a crap movie with great picture Quality make it a better movie ?

I think alot of people including me are getting in to this HD thing a bit to much and for getting that the basics which is the actual movie its self.

I think alot of people including me are getting in to this HD thing a bit to much and for getting that the basics which is the actual movie its self.
That's the same with any bit of kit though isn't it? I dread to count how many of my DVD collection are 'loud' silly action flicks I have brought because of an update to my surround sound setup. We invest in kit and then we want software to prove how good it is - and once content we can revert to buying things we like :)

JUS said:
oh yes, the difference is that I wasn't told BBC proms was unequivocally "brilliant" and after I rushed out and paid £18.99 for it I found it was lame....although the £300 + 10 a month is rather steep I admit :D

Good try :D

Rasczak said:
That's the same with any bit of kit though isn't it? I dread to count how many of my DVD collection are 'loud' silly action flicks I have brought because of an update to my surround sound setup. We invest in kit and then we want software to prove how good it is - and once content we can revert to buying things we like :)

I completley agree with that. I remember the first time I watched the Matrix - on a borrowed copied VHS tape watched at work on a night shift. It was one of those "copied in the movies using a camcorder" copies - pretty bad. But the movie itself was so good that I just lost myself in it.
Its all very well having great kit but its the movie that makes it great not the other way round. Still looking forward to HD though - but I won't be buying awful movies just to test my system.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom