Quantcast

Hi guys, Sony sr11 question........

J

jedman1

Hi to all, just joined, glad i found you guys. Maybe one of you can help me with this.
I currently have a Sony hdr sr8 ( 100 gb version of sr7 ), while ive been really happy with it after i sorted the audio problems, I mainly record my sons rock band and the internal 5.1 mic was terrible so i got a Rode SVM external mic and it was really good.
Now though i have another problem in that when it is a loud venue i get Data error messages and the cam shuts down. Now i have learnt that this is common with HDD drives ( due to the delicate HDD getting shaken around by the bass vibration ) so i am willing to take this as an expensive lesson and get another camera. BUT... now for the question.....

If i get a sr11 or 12 and record to the pro duo flash drive, will i have the same problem?
Is the hard drive running when recording to the flash drive?
I liked the look of the cx12, but as far as i can tell it does not have external mic input, am i right?
I already have a 16 gig pro duo flash card other wise i would definatly think about changing brands ( if you were wondering, after i bought the flash drive i discovered that the sr8 only records images to it , not video!:mad: grrrrrr sony why do u mock me?)
any ideas would be greatly appreciated,
cheers

J

jedman1

thanks chris, yeah i knew that but the issue with the sr8 was the bass vibration shutting the cam down, are you saying that you havent had any problems with the rode svm and your sr12 recording loud bands etc?
Did you record to hdd or the flash memory?
cheers

chrishull3

thanks chris, yeah i knew that but the issue with the sr8 was the bass vibration shutting the cam down, are you saying that you havent had any problems with the rode svm and your sr12 recording loud bands etc?
Did you record to hdd or the flash memory?
cheers
To be honest i have not recorded the loudest thing[bagpipes]with the sr12 as i used my fx-7 with the rode in july for a village fair[before i had my sr12]with bands of all kinds as i always have.,but i have not read on any site of people having the problem you mention using the on board or external mikes,i am as certain as i can be that bass vibration will not affect and shut down my sr 12 but i would always use the -10db switch and if still in doubt sound can be lowered to the low setting.

cdb

I recorded a jet car on a drag strip (about 130db at a guess) and while the picture was OK and the camera didn't shut down, the sound did cut out when it got to loud.

The car was about 30ft away from me at the closest point, but it was only about 3-4secs of very loud noise, not as sustained as a rock concert would have been.

The hdd is probably a laptop one, so it would be designed with vibration in mind I would have thought.

Top Bottom