Hi guys help me decide!!!

Horrok

Novice Member
Reaction score
I'm building pc and I'm confused should I buy Intel Xeon or i7? Mostly my friends use Xeon. Is it worth? I'm not gonna overlock. I want to build pc for gaming|photo|video maybe even for streaming I want to fully operate via hdmi to TV GAMING and movies but gaming is last place just for fun

That's unanswerable without more detail. 'Video' and 'Photo' covers a huge range of different workloads, from the simple viewing of them to cutting edge, high end CGI and image processing.

Which CPUs you're considering would also be helpful, as both brands span a wide range of actual models, from low powered laptop dual cores to 10 core server models.

Generally you want to look around for benchmarks and other tests of the software you use regularly and it's competitors. That should give you an idea of what hardware it works best on.

That's the point I don't realy know what cpu gpu n motherboard I'm gonna buy I'm not rushing, I just want to know or its worth to invest into Xeon. The reason I want to try that I don't gonna overlock. I'm not gonna buy laptop, it's ain't gonna be server pure home use, with photo editing PHOTOshop I doubt I'm gonna use video editing, I want to plug to TV maybe. Gonna look forward streaming via shield, but I didn't decided which way I go maybe I decide to go with AMD. I want to wait till new architecture gonna be released Pascal, but I'm interested in Xeon. I'm not pro I don't want to burn myself. I'm so confused. If it's realy worth to go with Xeon I don't mind to buy since I ain't gonna overlock. Thnx for help!! I realy need seriuos advices or certain products but I'm not rushing I'm eager to see what Pascal has to offer.

pure home use, with photo editing PHOTOshop I doubt I'm gonna use video editing, I want to plug to TV maybe.

If you're doing mainstream stuff for your own amusement with no deadlines and nothing else depending on it then neither are likely to be worth the extra money over a more popular choice like the i5-6000 models.

A single Xeon is no better and equivalent i7.
Xeons can come with more cores and memory plus work on motherboards that can take multiple CPUs.
My home i7 4790 is faster than the Xeon at work.

I don't interested in i5 I'm into future I need i7, later I don't gonna have money for pc now I'm sitting with e8400 Nvidia 630gt

I don't interested in i5 I'm into future I need i7, later I don't gonna have money for pc now I'm sitting with e8400 Nvidia 630gt
Dont underestimate the i5. they are very good CPUS.
My old i5 2500k overclocked was still competitive against current CPUs. The i7 is faster then the i5 but do you really need it?

Dont underestimate the i5. they are very good CPUS.
My old i5 2500k overclocked was still competitive against current CPUs. The i7 is faster then the i5 but do you really need it?
I appreciate it. I believe you just some games require i7 for full fun maybe I'm gonna search for used i7 on eBay Or Amazon.

I appreciate it. I believe you just some games require i7 for full fun maybe I'm gonna search for used i7 on eBay Or Amazon.
I'm sorry but the difference between the i5 & i7 is slight in gaming. there is no games out that require an i7. You better off spending more money on a gfx card

I'm sorry but the difference between the i5 & i7 is slight in gaming. there is no games out that require an i7. You better off spending more money on a gfx card

Only a tiny percentage of the market has an i7, to require it for full functionality would be absurd.

As shaz2sxy says, games typically only have minor benefit from the i7 feature set - mostly from the extra cache.

I'm building pc and I'm confused should I buy Intel Xeon or i7? Mostly my friends use Xeon. Is it worth? I'm not gonna overlock. I want to build pc for gaming|photo|video maybe even for streaming I want to fully operate via hdmi to TV GAMING and movies but gaming is last place just for fun

So "Mostly my friends use Xeon" CPU's. :eek: Really !!! Less than 0.01% of home computer users (including enthusiasts) use a business grade CPU (which is what a Xeon is).

Where do you live? What computer equipment is available to you? If you are in eastern Europe or somewhere else outside of the main sphere of retail influence then fair enough. There are much cheaper platforms available to you than Xeon.

Be more specific about what you need it for. Are you doing casual or full blown video and photo editing. Are you doing image manipulation and creation. It's not all about what CPU you have. The graphics capability are vital. How much gaming do you intend to do and what games are you playing?

Edit: Okay sussed you're from Lithuania. None the less we need to know specifically what you want to do with your PC. Including the equipment you are using to get your images.

Last edited:
So "Mostly my friends use Xeon" CPU's. :eek: Really !!! Less than 0.01% of home computer users (including enthusiasts) use a business grade CPU (which is what a Xeon is).

Where do you live? What computer equipment is available to you? If you are in eastern Europe or somewhere else outside of the main sphere of retail influence then fair enough. There are much cheaper platforms available to you than Xeon.

Be more specific about what you need it for. Are you doing casual or full blown video and photo editing. Are you doing image manipulation and creation. It's not all about what CPU you have. The graphics capability are vital. How much gaming do you intend to do and what games are you playing?

Edit: Okay sussed you're from Lithuania. None the less we need to know specifically what you want to do with your PC. Including the equipment you are using to get your images.
I'll use it for photo editing like photoshop etc. Video 4k doubt about hard stuff, connect to the TV to play games watch 4k/BD. I DON'T know about Nvidia shield. I'm not certain or I'll use it for streaming via shield/Alienware steam machine, but who knows but mostly home stuff. Games like gta v witcher 3 assassin's creed series final Fantasy series

I'll use it for photo editing like photoshop etc. Video 4k doubt about hard stuff, connect to the TV to play games watch 4k/BD. I DON'T know about Nvidia shield. I'm not certain or I'll use it for streaming via shield/Alienware steam machine, but who knows but mostly home stuff. Games like gta v witcher 3 assassin's creed series final Fantasy series.

My current system is an i5 6600k, 16gb ram and a nvidia gtx 970.

I play all your games mentioned on high/ultra at 1200p with no issues

I'll use it for photo editing like photoshop etc. Video 4k doubt about hard stuff, connect to the TV to play games watch 4k/BD. I DON'T know about Nvidia shield. I'm not certain or I'll use it for streaming via shield/Alienware steam machine, but who knows but mostly home stuff. Games like gta v witcher 3 assassin's creed series final Fantasy series

I'll use it for photo editing like photoshop etc. Video 4k doubt about hard stuff, connect to the TV to play games watch 4k/BD. I DON'T know about Nvidia shield. I'm not certain or I'll use it for streaming via shield/Alienware steam machine, but who knows but mostly home stuff. Games like gta v witcher 3 assassin's creed series final Fantasy series.

Probably best to stick with a mainstream CPU. Any of the last 2 generations of i5 or i7 CPUs will do. If you feel you really need the extra cores then the Haswell-E or the new Broadwell-E (when they are released) CPUs would be your best option.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom