Hi from Glasgow!

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by Arcamainia, Jun 21, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Arcamainia

Arcamainia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great Forum and hi everyone!

Purchased my AVR300 this weekend, initially an upgrade from a Sony entry level AV/receiver, and after a little 'fiddling' (what guys do best!), I'm rather chuffed with this big ass unit. I say big ass because, well, does it have to be so big?? It doesn't even fit in my TV stand but that's a great excuse for an AV rack :) .

Anyway, for the moment the speaker upgrade will have to wait and I'm still running of Sony Pascal Sat+Sub system so it's taken allot of tweeking to get the sound right as you can imagine. I'd like to stereo sorted though and was wondering it there's a way to run another set of front's whilst keeping the front sats connected (without running another amp)?

Nearly done......

I'm considering the KHT2005.2's because space is a premium. Would they sound alright in Stereo (considering they should be better than the Pascals)?

Thanks and sorry for the barrage of questions!

-Chris.

2. Icarus

Icarus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    >I'd like to stereo sorted though and was wondering it there's a way to run another set of front's whilst keeping the front sats connected (without running another amp)?

Absolutely. The amp has 7 speaker outs each one 100watt, you can have 5.1 plus a seperate steroe out either for another room or to by-amp the front mains.

I don't have my AVR300 yet but that is what I understand from the helpful folks here and allso what it said in the manual you have with your receiver.

3. Arcamainia

Arcamainia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Icarus, must've missed that part in the manual. I'll have another read and try to follow.

I presume this means utilizing the two extra rears from 7.1 though I thought this was just to bi-amp the fronts (which will be kept as sats). How would you switch to the additional speakers for stereo?

:suicide:

-Chris.

4. Icarus

Icarus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    >I presume this means utilizing the two extra rears from 7.1 though I thought this was just to bi-amp the fronts (which will be kept as sats). How would you switch to the additional speakers for stereo?

The amp is split into two zones, zone 1 is perhaps the main AV room working at 5.1, zone 2 is perhaps another room working stereo only. You can have have zone 1, zone 2 or both. Zone 1 can be set to any playback you want including stereo.

Please remember this is what I have heard and the way I read the manual when I borrowed the amp from the dealer.

EOE :)

5. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi,

You can down load a PDF of the AVR300 handbook from our website, it is under quick links, handbook then look for the AVR300 link. It is quite large as there are alot of pictures in it and it is a large manual. Hopefully this should help with your system setup. If you still need help let me know.

Regards,
    Andrew

Sorry Just realised I replied to the wrong person and you already must have the manual. You need to look at page E-15 the EX settings, in this menu you can set the back channels to be used for EX, biamping the front or zone 2.

6. Arcamainia

Arcamainia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Andy.

Tonight, I've wired my two dedicated speakers for stereo to RSB L and R, set the back channels for Zone2, switched to Zone2, made sure that the right source was selected, nothing. Zip. Squat.

I have Analog (connected to DVD in) and Digital (connected to SAT OPTical in) connected from my DVD player (Panasonic EMR85H) to the 300, working . Now I can only get Digital. Switch to analog i.e DVD, and I get nothing.

So, I've disconnected the extra speakers and set everything back to the way it was, still no Analog from the DVD player. Eh?

Two things then, why isn't Zone2 firing out my extra speakers and what's happened to DVD analog? Very frustrating.

Anyone help?

7. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    I really don't know what is going on. However here is what I would try. Connect the analogue inputs from you DVD player to another input say CD then check to see if you get any sound. If that doesn't work try conecting your DVD player direct to your TV (with a SCART lead) if possible to see if you are getting sound out of the DVD player.

IF you are getting sound out of the DVD player and you still can't get any sound out of the AVR300, please call customer support preferably whilst you are in front of the machine.

Regards,
    Andrew

8. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Although the eggs are fine for a low-to-midprice receiver you and your receiver deserve better speakers, especially using large frontals- like the Q7 or even the Reference 203.
    And of course a really good center like the 202c or the Q9DS.
    You see lots of Q's on Ebay right now.
    Use the eggs for surrounds and keep the sub, unless it's the first series it's very good.
    Barend

9. Arcamainia

Arcamainia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Andy, did as you sugested and looks like the DVD analog feed is goosed. Changed cables around (no sound), moved to another input on the 300 (no sound). Will call Panasonic today for their thoughts.

With regards to connecting up the extra speakers and moving them to Zone 2, am I missing something?

Thanks again :)

10. Arcamainia

Arcamainia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Barend, I see your point. I'm looking at speakers the now and the best combinations for the space (and money) available. I'm happy to expand the fronts, using sats for the rears, it's just a question of best deals.... had my heart set on Quad 21L's but that leaves me questioning what to put up as rears. Might have to settle for the 5005 package and add on later (from that I've heard, they're not bad).

-Cheers.

11. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    You need an analogue feed for Zone 2 to work so you won't get anything in Zone 2 untill your DVD player is working. Zone 2 cannot get audio from digital sources as if it did when the unit was in DD 5.1 or even PLII you would just have the left and right from a 5 channel mix.

Regards,
    Andrew

12. Arcamainia

Arcamainia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :suicide: ! Make sense Andy, thanks very much for the quick reply. I'll get the source issues sorted and hopefully, then......

Cheers,
    -Chris.