1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi first post and i am a newbee with a question on amps!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Frustin, Nov 15, 2000.

1. Frustin

Frustin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would like to spend in the region of £500 on an av amp (i dont need a power amp).

i would like it to have dolby pro logic (this is 5.1 isnt it?) at least. I dont need it to have DSP functions on it as i have a good DSP seperate.

I would idealy like to buy a really good second hand amp to a band new, not so good amp. Maybe someone would like to change my mind on this?

After a lot of research I didnt really appreaciate how hard it was going to be to buy this sort of thing untill i started to really look at the nitty gritty.

if anyone has anything to offer then please email me: justinf@cwcom.net

[This message has been edited by Frustin (edited 15-11-2000).]

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Justin,

I'm not sure what you mean by "you don't need a power amp" ?

Do you just require a processor to use with existing amps or do you require a fully integrated amp with all the amplification on board ?

5.1 is vastly different to Dolby Pro-Logic, in the guise of either Dolby Digital or the "ARGUABLY!!!" more superior DTS.

If you're prepared to get a bargain s/h, have a good look around you may get a Yamaha A2 - you may even get a new one for not much more than your budgeting for!!

Hope the advice is OK, Happy hunting

------------------
    "Are you gonna bark all day little doggie, or are you gonna bite ?"

3. Frustin

Frustin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oops, sorry for being so ignorent.

i slapped myself in the face when i read your reply.

Intergrated amp is exactly what i mean.

any ideas where i might look?

4. simonsez

simonsez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would look and see if you can find a used Yamaha, I also might check out some of the new Pioneer, and Sony receivers. The new stuff almost always gives you DD and DTS plus 100W x 5. The first place to start is your local hifi shop, and demo a few receivers/int. amps to see which one have the features and sound you like. Then hunt around on the internet and see if you can find a good deal. If you are not saving more than 10-15% online I would pay a little more and buy it from someone local, so you have close customer support.

5. Frustin

Frustin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the feedback, where might i look (apart from the cassifieds on this site) for second hand equipment?

6. AlanP

AlanP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm selling my Kenwood 888D Dolby Digital Receiver. It's an integrated amp with an on board RDS radio tuner. It has digital coaxial and optical connectors for direct connection to the digital output of a DVD player and it also has 5.1 channel inputs for connection to a DTS decoder or DVD player with built in DTS decoder. It's sound output is 5x120W, very good quality.
    This machine cost me £500 and I'm looking for reasonable offers. It might be just what you're looking for to get you started without breaking the bank. If you're interested, please get in touch.

7. Frustin

Frustin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks alan for the offer, but i was looking to buy one for around the £500 trade/second hand mark.