Hi Fi System for Flac and digital media

animalcooler

Novice Member
Reaction score
Greetings, my name is Andre, from Brazil and I love music.
I decided to mount a good system for listen classic music.

I WANT: listening to classical music, with the highest possible quality without spending more than U$ 2,000.00. I have CD, FLAC lowless, Spotfy and MP3 320kpbs.

A seller recommended the following products:
YAMAHA R-S700
INFINITY P163 pair of bookshelf boxes
MARANTZ CD6005

QUESTIONS:
- Yamaha R-S500 is cheaper and by the specs does not seem so much worse numerically. Is it worth buying the R-S700?
- Can I be able to play digital files with quality, FLAC? How about streaming Spotfy, directly wi-fi or Bluetooth?
- How about Yamaha R-N500?

I'm not sure if the system recommended is the best to listen music in digital files (FLAC).
I will thank the tips and help.

Are you in the UK? Generally the R-S500 and R-S700 are not easy to come by in the UK, though very common in the USA.

If that is US$2000, then I think you can do better than what the seller listed.

If I assume you are in the USA and equally assume those are USA Dollars.

Then we need a few questions answer.

What are the dimension of the room they system will be placed in?

You were recommended Bookshelf speakers, but are bookshelf speakers are requirement? If we found Floorstanding/Tower speaker that fit your budget and requirements, would that be OK?

How important is a CD Player?

Let me suggest an amp, actually Receiver, that has full Streaming capability built in.

Yamaha RN500 Network Receiver, 80w/ch, DAC-Optical/Coaxial/USB-Media, PHONO, Sub out, AM/FM - US$549 -

Yamaha R-N500 Stereo receiver with networking and Apple® AirPlay® at Crutchfield.com

Depending on how far you want to take it with a CD Player, consider this Yamaha -

Yamaha CDS300 CD Player - $299 -

Yamaha CD-S300 Single-disc CD player/USB port for iPod®/iPhone&reg at Crutchfield.com

That eats a fair $748 of your budget, leaving $1252 for speaker which should be more than enough to get a great set of speakers.

The Yamaha RS500 Receiver with 75w/ch, but not digital features or streaming, is $350.

The Marantz CD6005, which is certainly a good CD Player, is $499.

The Infinity Primus 163 bookshelf are $86 each or $172/pair.

That system is -

$350/ea = Yamaha RS500
$500/ea = Marantz CD6005
$172/pr = Infinity Primus P163 bookshelf
-------------------
$1022 = Total

That system is out of balance. Too much CD, not enough speaker.

Since you indicated a $2000 budget and a need for streaming, let me propose an alternative -

$_550/ea = Yamaha RN500 Network Receiver DLNA/Apple Airplay
$_300/ea = Yamaha CDS300 CD Player
$1300/pr = Wharfedale Diamond 10.7 floorstanding speakers
--------------------
$2150 = Total

Here are the speakers -

Wharfedale Diamond 10.7 floorstainging 2x6.5" bass drivers - $1299/pr -

WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 10.7 TOWER SPEAKERS (PR) at Music Direct

Available in Black, Cherry, and Rosewood. The Cherry is not remotely as orange as the photos make it out to be. It is a very medium finish with just a hint of read. The Rosewood, of course, has more red, but is still a very attractive finish.

Now, that pushes your budget right to the limit. If you prefer bookshelf speakers, then the Wharfedale Diamond 10.2 are a good choice at $450/pair.

Wharfedale Diamond 10.2, 1x6.5" bass driver, response to 40hz - $449/pr -

Wharfedale Diamond 10.2 Bookshelf Speakers (Pr) at Music Direct

You can also order Wharfedale Diamond speakers from Best Buy.

At the links above, it you select the drop-down box showing the price, and select a different finish, the photo will change to reflect that finish. But again, the Cherry are not remotely as orange as they appear.

So -

$_450/pr = Wharfedale Diamond 10.2 bookshelf speakers
--------------------
$1300 = Total

Given that the original system was $1022, I think you will find my system at $1300 infinitely better.

Or course, I have not touched on every possibility. There are several other combination of amp, CD, and speaker that will work for you. To be more precise, we need more information.

Since you are interested in Streaming Digital Music, the Yamaha RN500 seems a very good solution in a very reasonably priced amp. The RN500 also has several Streaming Services available at essentially one-touch. Services like Spotify and Pandora.

Here is a link to full specs and details on the Yamaha RN500 Network Receiver -

R-N500 - Stereo Receivers - Hi-Fi Components - Audio & Visual - Products - Yamaha United States

Again, there are other options in streaming receivers - Onkyo TX-8050, Harman Kardon HK3770.

In speakers, the Monitor Audio BX2 bookshelf or the Monitor Audio BX5 or BX6 floorstanding. (more on these later)

Polk Audio RTI series are worth considering -

Polk RTI-A5 - $399 each -

Polk Audio RTi A5 (Cherry) Floor-standing speaker at Crutchfield.com

Polk RTI-A7 - $499 each -

Polk Audio RTi A7 (Cherry) Floor-standing speaker at Crutchfield.com

Depending on how far you want to take it, the Polk RTI-A9 - $750 each -

Polk Audio RTi A9 (Cherry) Floor-standing speaker at Crutchfield.com

Monitor Audio SILVER 6 - $750 each -

Monitor Audio Silver 6 (Walnut) Floor-standing speaker at Crutchfield.com

A bit more realistically, the Polk TSX550 ($499 each) at a similar price to the Diamond 10.7 floorstanding -

Polk Audio TSx550T (Cherry) Floor-standing speaker at Crutchfield.com

A bit less money, the Polk TSX440 ($349 each) -

Polk Audio TSx440T (Cherry) Floor-standing speaker at Crutchfield.com

Monitor Audio Bronze
are on sale at Audio Advisor at very attractive prices. These are very much comparable to the Wharfedale Diamonds

Monitor Audio BX2 - $358 per pair -

Monitor Audio Bronze BX 2 2 Way Bookshelf Speakers-Audio Advisor

Monitor Audio BX5 - $279 EACH -

Monitor Audio Bronze BX 5 2 1/2 Way Floorstanding Speaker-Audio Advisor

Monitor Audio BX6 - $379 EACH -

Monitor Audio Bronze BX 6 2 1/2Way Floorstanding Speaker-Audio Advisor

Exceptional bargains on these Bronze BX speakers.

Again, can you handle floorstanding?

Are you limited to bookshelf?

How big is your room?

Can your refine your Preference, Priorities, and Requirements?

Putting together one of the systems above -

$_760/pr = Monitor Audio BX6 Floorstanding speakers
-------------------
-
$1610 = Total

Same as above with the BX5 flooorstanding = $1410.

Same as above but with the BX2 bookshelf = $1210.

The BX2 have a single 6.5" Bass driver with response just a bit below 40hz at -6db. Very much on par with the Diamond 10.2.

I guarantee any of the systems I laid out will outperform the system your Dealer laid out.

In the UK, the Monitor Audio Bronze and the Wharfedale Diamond series are often compare or recommended in a similar price range, but at Audio Advisor, they have the Monitor Audio Bronze at exceptionally low prices. The Monitor Audio BX6, which has the additional Midrange driver, are typically $500 each.

Though it is hard to describe, and the difference is subtle, the Diamond are smooth and laid back. Very pleasant with low fatigue. The Monitor Audio Bronze are very well liked but a bit crisp, though without being harsh. The Bronze also have ever so slightly deeper bass response.

That should give you quite a bit to think about. If streaming or digital computer files (MP3, FLAC, Apple, etc...) are important, though the price is a bit high, you can't beat a Network Receiver like the Yamaha RN500.

By the way, if you so desire, for a pretty reasonable price, Bluetooth Streaming can be added to the Yamaha (or any other amp) for a pretty reasonable price.

Network Receivers like the Yamaha require a free app running on a smart device like a Speaker Phone or a Pad, to best access Network music files or to access the Internet. This is free from Yamaha or who ever makers your Streaming Device.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:
Sorry, just noticed you are in Brazil. Still, the products I recommended, if you can get them, would make a very good system.

USA $1000 is about BR$2600 (Brazilian Real).

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:
Wow, thank a lot for your help. I will supply you with more information.
Yes, I live in USA (spending vacations in Brazil). Spotify streaming and Flac 24bit are as important as CD for that system. I'm limited to bookshelf. The room has 20 meters squared, with four doors, three of them always opened. The budget is not US$ 2.000, sorry, but US$ 1.500,00 +/-.

As a newbie, I´ve still some questions:

- Digital media would be played by the RN500 or the CDS300? I just want to plug a USB pendrive or externa HD and play the music.
- What's the difference between the double RN500+CDS300 and A-S500+CD-N301?

I just want to have the best system my money can buy for now.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
I meant a receiver RN500 + a player CDS300 do the same thing as a amplifier A-S500 + a player CD-N301? (I´ve no idea the difference between a amp and a receiver... :p)

Yes to post number 5. The CD-N301 has streaming capability, and I suspect both us the same Yamaha Control App.

The RN500+CDS300 is about $850.

No Networking -

The R-S500 Receiver+CDS300 is about $650.

The R-S700 Receiver+CDS300 is about $800.

Network CD-N301 -

The R-S500 Receiver (75w/ch)($350) +CD-N301 (~$400) is about $750.

The R-S700 Receiver (100w/ch) $500) +CD-N301 is about $900.

Network CD plus Integrated Amps -

A-S301 w/DAC 60w/ch ($350) + CD-N301 (~$400) = $750

A-S501w/DAC, 85w/ch ($550) + CD-N301(~$400) = $950

The two that are closest to each other, both Receivers, are -

R-S500 Receiver (75w/ch)($350) +CD-N301 (~$400) = $750.

However the R-S500 does not have digital inputs.

That makes the closest match -

RN500 Network/DAC/80w ($550) +CDS300 ($300) = $850.

A-S501w/DAC, 85w/ch ($550) + CD-N301(~$400) = $950

Myself, though it might depend on budget, the RN500 with Networking appeals to me over the CD-N301 with networking, but there is no logic behind that. Just a preference.

An alternative, though complication things a bit -

$350 = Yamaha R-S500, 75w/ch
$300 = Yamaha CDS300 CD Player
$450 = Bluesound Node Streaming Device (24b/192k)
---------------------
$1100 = Total

Bluesound Node -

Bluesound Node (Black) Streaming music player for stereo or home theater system at Crutchfield.com

Getting a bit carried away, but there is a Bluesound Vault with a CD Ripper and an internal Hard Drive, which will automatically rip any file to lossless FLAC just by inserting it into the driver. Plus of course full network streaming capability. Though the price is getting a bit high at $999 -

Bluesound Vault (Black) Music player and 2TB storage drive at Crutchfield.com

So, the AS501 because it has a DAC combined with the CD-N301 are the equivalent function to the RN500 and the CDS300. But the AS501 and CD-N301 are $100 more expensive than the RN500 and CDS300. Though typically Integrated Amps are better than Receivers.

The older AS500 is just a straight up amp, no internal DAC.

It is a very fine balancing act to get the right blend of components. There is no wrong answer, only the combinations that best suits your needs.

Again - Bookshelf or Floorstanding - what is your preference? There are speaker in either catagory that will meet your budget.

While the Diamond 10.7 are a bit too much, the Monitor Audio BX6 with the RN500 and CDS300, are just a bit more than $100 over your stated budget. That would be a most excellent combination for as long as the sale on the Monitor Audio Bronze lasts.

If you prefer bookshelf, then systems with the Diamond 10.2 or the Monitor Audio BX2 would do a very good job.

Whether to choose Bookshelf or Floorstanding depends on how the system will be used. If movies are included, then I have to recommend floorstanding speakers. But in a pure music and casual movie watching system, bookshelf, especially these, will do an excellent job.

Just a few thoughts.

Steve/bluewizard

As a newbie, I´ve still some questions:

- Digital media would be played by the RN500 or the CDS300? I just want to plug a USB pendrive or externa HD and play the music.

- What's the difference between the double RN500+CDS300 and A-S500+CD-N301?

I just want to have the best system my money can buy for now.

Thanks again.

All media today, with the exception of vinyl, is digital media. Stored computer Audio Files (MP3, FLAC, WAV, etc...) will stream to either the CD-N301 or the RN500 or to a stand alone network streaming device like the Bluesound.

Of course CD discs, which are digital media, can only be played in a Disc player.

Though do consider adding NAS (network attached storage), you can buy these pretty cheap. Essentially is is a external Hard Drive that has a computer in it dedicated to managing the Network connection. That way your computer and your Network Files are separate. No need to have the computer on to listen to music.

These drives are so cheap today. A quick check of Google-Shopping found a 1 terabyte NAS hard drive for $60 (Buffalo Brand). You can buy these at Walmart now. Though a place like Best Buy or Micro Center and many other will probably have a larger selection.

At the price of these drives, you could have one to back up your main computer, and another to store all your Audio Files on.

I think I recently read that a 1 Terabyte hard drive will store something like 5000 albums in FLAC format.

So, you have some options to consider.

And you don't have to use Yamaha equipment. They are good value but certainly there is other equipment to consider.

I think within or near your budget, you will have a hard time beating this system -

$_550/ea = Yamaha RN500 Network Receiver
-------------------
-
$1610 = Total

I think many would envy that system. Though it is only one possibility.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:
Great!
One more question. What if it was you? With that same budget and same needings, what would you buy today? What brands and models?

Last edited:
Great!
One more question. What if it was you? With that same budget and same needings, what would you buy today? What brands and models?

It depends on the flexibility in the budget. This system would be pretty impressive -

-------------------
-
$1610 = Total

If you want to trim the budget back, then the same but with the BX5 floorstanding. Which if I calculated right is about $1410. That's right on budget.

But, that only lasts as long as the Sale at Audio Advisor last. When the speakers go back up to their normal price, which is a bit under retail. I would consider the Wharfedale, or possibly Polk Audio.

The Polk RTI is the higher better series, but the new TSX or the older TSi are still good speakers.

There are better amps than Yamaha .... but they cost more money. There are better VALUE amps than Yamaha, say Harmon Kardon, but they are lesser quality; more plastic, less metal.

Here are some other options in a Network Receivers -

Onkyo TX-805o Network Receiver - $279 -

Onkyo TX-8050 AM/FM/Internet radio receiver at Crutchfield.com

Features and power nearly identical to the Yamaha RN500.

Harman Kardon HK3770 Network Receiver - $449 -

Harman Kardon HK 3770 Stereo receiver with networking and Bluetooth® at Crutchfield.com

This actually exceed the other two by a considerable amount.

Harman Kardon HK3770 - 120w/ch, Bluetooth Streaming, 24b/192k DAC, 2xOptical, 1xCoaxial, 1xUSB-Media, Sub Out, AM/FM, Computer Network Streaming, etc...

But, while still a good amp, the material quality on the Harman is not as good as the Yamaha.

Then we weight Integrated Amps against Receiver. Integrated Amps have better quality, but they have a higher price. Compare the Yamaha AS501 to the Yamaha R-S500. The Receiver is cheaper. Or to be more fair, the AS500 to the RS500.

Without the Sale at Audio Advisor, your only choice is to scale the speakers down a bit, if you want to keep the features of the Yamaha RN500 or similar.

Right now I have my eyes on these for speakers -

Polk Audio RTi-A9 - $750 each -

That eat nearly your entire budget. But those are a bit of overkill. The next model down is a perfectly good speaker with great bass response.

Polk Audio RTi-A7 - $499 each -

However, just an hour or so ago, I stumbled across a place that has both these speaker with some pretty nice discounts.

Never heard of the company before, but they have great prices -

Polk Audio RTi-A9 - $526 each -

http://www.newaudiovideo.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=35_30_43&products_id=8730

Polk Audio RTi-A7 - $350 each -

http://www.newaudiovideo.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=35_30_43&products_id=8732

You could slot the $700/pair RTI-A7 into the above system nicely.

If you like a speaker with a strong presence, then you might want to consider the Klipsch speaker. Some feel the Horn Mid/High drivers can be a bit bright, but that is a matter of taste. Many people love the Klipsch.

Klipsch RF-62-II, 2x6.5" - $399 each (or $682/pr) -

Klipsch Reference RF-62 II (Cherry) Floor-standing speaker at Crutchfield.com

Klipsch RF-62 II Black (pair) [RF-62 II] - $682.72 : New Audio & Video, New Electronics at Lowest Prices!

Klipsch RF-82-II, 2x8" - $449 each (or $854/pr) -

Klipsch Reference RF-82 II (Cherry) Floor-standing speaker at Crutchfield.com

Klipsch RF-82 II Black (pair) [RF-82 II] - $854.08 : New Audio & Video, New Electronics at Lowest Prices!

If we move one model line down in the Polk Audio to the TSx, then we have some options as well -

Polk Audio TSx-440 - $349 each -

Polk Audio TSx-550 - $499 each (or $683/pr) -

Polk Audio Tsx 550T (pair) (cherry) Polk Audio Tsx 550T (pair) (cherry) - - It's Free! : New Audio & Video, New Electronics at Lowest Prices!

The Polk TSX-550 has 2x8" bass driver, 2x5.25" Mid Driver, and a 1" Tweeter. Rated at 36hz at -3db, which means it will certainly reach 30hz at -6db.

For me, assuming NewAudioVideo can be trusted, I would seriously consider this combination. Really, you will have trouble beating this for this price. -

$_700/pr = Polk Audio RTi-A7 floorstanding
-------------------
-
$1550 = Total

However, from a more trusted and reliable source (CrutchField), the price rises a bit -

$1000/pr = Polk Audio RTi-S7 Floorstanding speaker.
-------------------
-
$1850 = Total

Cut that back to the Polk TSX-440 and you are back at $700/pr and a total $1550 budget.

That said, while the Monitor Audio BX6 and BX5 are on sale, the remain the best deal.

I don't necessarily think the Yamaha RN500 is the best amp around, but it is probably the best in it price class, and with a very full feature set. A feature set that more than covers every possibility.

I recently traded my Yamaha RX-797, which is a Stereo 100w/ch Receiver, for the Rotel RA-1570, which I picked up for about $1500. Though it now outclasses all my other equipment.

Rotel RA-1570 Review and Rating | Digital Trends

The Yamaha RX-797 is about 3 models behind the current Yamaha line and about the equivalent of the RS700 ($499).

In it price slot, while not the best amp in general, it is the best blend of quality, power, and features. It is hard to find any thing to match it at $549.

For example, many people favor Marantz over Yamaha, and they would probably be right, but the Marantz PM6005 with DAC-Optial/Coaxial, 45w/ch, and NO streaming, no radio is $699.

Marantz PM6005 Stereo integrated amplifier with built-in digital-to-analog converter at Crutchfield.com

The very highly regarded NAD C326BEE with 45w/ch, NO DAC, NO Streaming, NO Radio is £549 -

NAD C 326BEE Stereo integrated amplifier at Crutchfield.com

Good amps to be sure, but you really can't afford them.

If you try to equal the RN500 with discrete components the price goes up noticeable.

For what it is worth.

Steve/bluewizard.

Last edited:
Suppose I can buy a R-S700 for US$ 400.
Does a system using a R-S700 + CD-N301 beat a R-N500 + CD-S300?
What you think? What are my gains and losses?

And if I decide to get three equipments, one for cd, one for amplify and one to mp3 flac streaming, (more wifi and bluetooth) what is the best can I buy using the same 1500-1600 US$ Including a good bookshelves?

Last edited:

And if I decide to get three equipments, one for cd, one for amplify and one to mp3 flac streaming, (more wifi and bluetooth) what is the best can I buy using the same 1500-1600 US$ Including a good bookshelves?
It depends on the flexibility in the budget. This system would be pretty impressive -

-------------------
-
$1610 = Total

If you want to trim the budget back, then the same but with the BX5 floorstanding. Which if I calculated right is about $1410. That's right on budget.

But, that only lasts as long as the Sale at Audio Advisor last. When the speakers go back up to their normal price, which is a bit under retail. I would consider the Wharfedale, or possibly Polk Audio.

The Polk RTI is the higher better series, but the new TSX or the older TSi are still good speakers.

There are better amps than Yamaha .... but they cost more money. There are better VALUE amps than Yamaha, say Harmon Kardon, but they are lesser quality; more plastic, less metal.

Here are some other options in a Network Receivers -

Onkyo TX-805o Network Receiver - $279 -

Onkyo TX-8050 AM/FM/Internet radio receiver at Crutchfield.com

Features and power nearly identical to the Yamaha RN500.

Harman Kardon HK3770 Network Receiver - $449 -

Harman Kardon HK 3770 Stereo receiver with networking and Bluetooth® at Crutchfield.com

This actually exceed the other two by a considerable amount.

Harman Kardon HK3770 - 120w/ch, Bluetooth Streaming, 24b/192k DAC, 2xOptical, 1xCoaxial, 1xUSB-Media, Sub Out, AM/FM, Computer Network Streaming, etc...

But, while still a good amp, the material quality on the Harman is not as good as the Yamaha.

Then we weight Integrated Amps against Receiver. Integrated Amps have better quality, but they have a higher price. Compare the Yamaha AS501 to the Yamaha R-S500. The Receiver is cheaper. Or to be more fair, the AS500 to the RS500.

Without the Sale at Audio Advisor, your only choice is to scale the speakers down a bit, if you want to keep the features of the Yamaha RN500 or similar.

Right now I have my eyes on these for speakers -

Polk Audio RTi-A9 - $750 each -

That eat nearly your entire budget. But those are a bit of overkill. The next model down is a perfectly good speaker with great bass response.

Polk Audio RTi-A7 - $499 each -

However, just an hour or so ago, I stumbled across a place that has both these speaker with some pretty nice discounts.

Never heard of the company before, but they have great prices -

Polk Audio RTi-A9 - $526 each -

http://www.newaudiovideo.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=35_30_43&products_id=8730

Polk Audio RTi-A7 - $350 each -

http://www.newaudiovideo.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=35_30_43&products_id=8732

You could slot the $700/pair RTI-A7 into the above system nicely.

If you like a speaker with a strong presence, then you might want to consider the Klipsch speaker. Some feel the Horn Mid/High drivers can be a bit bright, but that is a matter of taste. Many people love the Klipsch.

Klipsch RF-62-II, 2x6.5" - $399 each (or $682/pr) -

Klipsch Reference RF-62 II (Cherry) Floor-standing speaker at Crutchfield.com

Klipsch RF-62 II Black (pair) [RF-62 II] - $682.72 : New Audio & Video, New Electronics at Lowest Prices!

Klipsch RF-82-II, 2x8" - $449 each (or $854/pr) -

Klipsch Reference RF-82 II (Cherry) Floor-standing speaker at Crutchfield.com

Klipsch RF-82 II Black (pair) [RF-82 II] - $854.08 : New Audio & Video, New Electronics at Lowest Prices!

If we move one model line down in the Polk Audio to the TSx, then we have some options as well -

Polk Audio TSx-440 - $349 each -

Polk Audio TSx-550 - $499 each (or $683/pr) -

Polk Audio Tsx 550T (pair) (cherry) Polk Audio Tsx 550T (pair) (cherry) - - It's Free! : New Audio & Video, New Electronics at Lowest Prices!

The Polk TSX-550 has 2x8" bass driver, 2x5.25" Mid Driver, and a 1" Tweeter. Rated at 36hz at -3db, which means it will certainly reach 30hz at -6db.

For me, assuming NewAudioVideo can be trusted, I would seriously consider this combination. Really, you will have trouble beating this for this price. -

$_700/pr = Polk Audio RTi-A7 floorstanding
-------------------
-
$1550 = Total

However, from a more trusted and reliable source (CrutchField), the price rises a bit -

$1000/pr = Polk Audio RTi-S7 Floorstanding speaker.
-------------------
-
$1850 = Total

Cut that back to the Polk TSX-440 and you are back at $700/pr and a total $1550 budget.

That said, while the Monitor Audio BX6 and BX5 are on sale, the remain the best deal.

I don't necessarily think the Yamaha RN500 is the best amp around, but it is probably the best in it price class, and with a very full feature set. A feature set that more than covers every possibility.

I recently traded my Yamaha RX-797, which is a Stereo 100w/ch Receiver, for the Rotel RA-1570, which I picked up for about $1500. Though it now outclasses all my other equipment.

Rotel RA-1570 Review and Rating | Digital Trends

The Yamaha RX-797 is about 3 models behind the current Yamaha line and about the equivalent of the RS700 ($499).

In it price slot, while not the best amp in general, it is the best blend of quality, power, and features. It is hard to find any thing to match it at $549.

For example, many people favor Marantz over Yamaha, and they would probably be right, but the Marantz PM6005 with DAC-Optial/Coaxial, 45w/ch, and NO streaming, no radio is $699.

Marantz PM6005 Stereo integrated amplifier with built-in digital-to-analog converter at Crutchfield.com

The very highly regarded NAD C326BEE with 45w/ch, NO DAC, NO Streaming, NO Radio is £549 -

NAD C 326BEE Stereo integrated amplifier at Crutchfield.com

Good amps to be sure, but you really can't afford them.

If you try to equal the RN500 with discrete components the price goes up noticeable.

For what it is worth.

Steve/bluewizard.

The R-S700 is a Receiver with 100w/ch. If you can get that with the CD-N301 for the same price or for less than the Yamaha RN500. That's fine. That's your choice to make.

What you do not get is a DAC. However, it is up to you to decide if you need a DAC. Most likely the DAC would be used to connect your TV to the Stereo system for movie watching. Adding an external DAC can be expensive - about $300.

Bluetooth streaming is easy enough. Yamaha makes their own stand alone Bluetooth Receiver, just a small add on box. I think it is about $100. Basically, depending on how far you want to take it, a Bluetooth streamer runs between $50 and about $150. That's not a deal killer and can be added at any time.

I've pretty much laid out the model within your budget range. If you don't want floorstanding, then instead of that get better bookshelf and spend the same money. Say Monitor Audio SILVER 1 or SILVER 2 bookshelf instead of Monitor BX5 or BX6 floorstanding.

The Wharfedale Diamond 10.2 would fit your budget, with money left over for other features like Bluetooth.

It seems you full set of desires are -

- CD Player
- Streaming
- Bluetooth
- Speakers
- Amplifier/Receiver

It is just a matter of finding the right combination within your budget.

No SKYPE, I do have Facebook, but I'm not sure what I can tell you in real time, that I can't tell you here. And here I can add links, photos, etc....

Steve/bluewizard

For now
- Yamaha A-S500 - Amplifier
- KEF Q300 - Bookshelves (can I get them for US$ 500)
- Bluesound node - Streaming, USB, Wifi

then
- Marantz CD5005 - CD only

What do you think?

Last edited:
IF that combination works for you, then fine. All good equipment, good speakers, decent CD Player.

Steve/bluewizard

That's the point. I really don't know what works for me. :(

You said:
" The older AS500 is just a straight up amp, no internal DAC. "

What it does mean? Why should I need DAC on amp?

That's the point. I really don't know what works for me. :(

You said:
" The older AS500 is just a straight up amp, no internal DAC. "

What it does mean? Why should I need DAC on amp?

I'm simply pointing out the obvious, it is up to you to decide if you need a DAC.

STeve/bluewizard

For now
- Yamaha A-S500 - Amplifier
- KEF Q300 - Bookshelves (can I get them for US$ 500)
- Bluesound node - Streaming, USB, Wifi

then
- Marantz CD5005 - CD only

What do you think?
Hi Andre,

Couldn't you just rip all of your CD collection to storage and just use the streamer for that as well as your existing FLAC & MP3 files?
This would save you having to get the Marantz CD5005.

Also, you don't appear to have taken into account how practical it is to connect your external HDD to the streamer. Not only do you need to consider the space for it, you also need to think about the USB HDD's power supply.
For example, your chosen Bluesound node streamer can only supply 5V at 0.5A max, via its USB port. So this could be a problem if your USB HDD doesn't come with its own supply and requires more than 0.5A provided by the streamer's USB supply.

John

I'm simply pointing out the obvious, it is up to you to decide if you need a DAC.

STeve/bluewizard

I´m confused if ALL devices need to have a internal DAC.
If the amplifier or receiver has a internal DAC, does the CD player need to have one, too?
If the CD player has internal DAC, does the amplifier or receiver need to have one, too?
Is it better if both Amplifier/receiver AND CD player have internal DAC?
If I use a new Marantz CD6005 with a A-S500 (no DAC) the sounds going to be worst than If I use it with a A-S501 (DAC)?

Last edited:
Hi Andre,

Couldn't you just rip all of your CD collection to storage and just use the streamer for that as well as your existing FLAC & MP3 files?
This would save you having to get the Marantz CD5005.

Also, you don't appear to have taken into account how practical it is to connect your external HDD to the streamer. Not only do you need to consider the space for it, you also need to think about the USB HDD's power supply.
For example, your chosen Bluesound node streamer can only supply 5V at 0.5A max, via its USB port. So this could be a problem if your USB HDD doesn't come with its own supply and requires more than 0.5A provided by the streamer's USB supply.

John

I´m not sure yet if Bluesound 24/192 flac sound as good like a Marantz CD6005 24/192 wav.

I´m confused if ALL devices need to have a internal DAC.

Yes, they need to have an internal DAC. Your CD Player has a DAC, your TV has a DAC, your Streaming Player has a DAC. For those with AV Receivers, they also have a DAC.

The question isn't do you have a DAC; the question is can you access that DAC externally.

Not knowing the full detains of your system, the only need I can see for a DAC would be if you have a Stereo system and want to watch movies using that Stereo as a sound source. In this case you route the Optical Audio Out of the TV to the Optical Input on a DAC. Then you have TV/Movie sound in your stereo system.

This is not a problem for AV Receiver, they process directly from ...say... a BluRay player. Though, you might need to use the Optical Out on the TV, to get sound to the Audio system. Though today many cable boxes have HDMI Outputs, in this case, the cable box is no different than the BluRay.

Whether you need external access to a DAC is something only you can determine. I was simply pointing out the difference between the various configurations being discussed.

One of the possible configurations does not give you external access to a DAC. It is up to you to determine IF you need external access to a DAC.

If I use a new Marantz CD6005 with a A-S500 (no DAC) the sounds going to be worst than If I use it with a A-S501 (DAC)?

It is not about sound quality, it about available features. Given that in either configuration you will be using the DAC inside the CD6005, or CD5005. Whether the amp has a DAC or not doesn't matter, and doesn't effect sound quality. All configurations use the DAC inside the CD Player.

The question you need to ask is - Do you have any other needs that would require direct access to a DAC?

The most obvious would be if you want to connect a TV to the Audio system for TV and movie watching? If so, the answer is YES, then you need a way to connect the TV and the Stereo. Does the configuration you laid out have that feature? Again, it is about sufficient available features to meet your needs.

Assuming you actually have a need -

RN500 + CDS300 has available access to an external DAC, plus of course, Streaming and CD.

AS500 + CD-N301 does have Streaming and CD but no external access to a DAC.

The AS500 + CD5005 + Bluesound Node give you Streaming and CD, but no access to a DAC. (That I am aware of)

Other than CD and Audio Streaming, do you foresee any other Audio needs? TV for example? If yes, then you need a DAC, if no, no other audio needs, then the answer is no, you don't need a DAC.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:
I´m not sure yet if Bluesound 24/192 flac sound as good like a Marantz CD6005 24/192 wav.
I don't think the Marantz CD6005 can playback hires wav files. Its manual says the max resolution for LPCM (as .wav file) is 16bit/48kHz, ie standard broadcast quality resolution (as well as supporting standard music CD resolution aka redbook 16bit/44.1kHz).

The CD6005's internal CS4398 DAC does have a max resolution of 24bit/192kHz, but that is most likely for upsampling standard res audio files (and lower) and the music CDs, as it can't even playback SACDs.

That being the case, are you now thinking about ripping your CD collection to storage?

I don't think the Marantz CD6005 can playback hires wav files. Its manual says the max resolution for LPCM (as .wav file) is 16bit/48kHz, ie standard broadcast quality resolution (as well as supporting standard music CD resolution aka redbook 16bit/44.1kHz).

The CD6005's internal CS4398 DAC does have a max resolution of 24bit/192kHz, but that is most likely for upsampling standard res audio files (and lower) and the music CDs, as it can't even playback SACDs.

That being the case, are you now thinking about ripping your CD collection to storage?

Do you know some audiophile review for Bluesound node?

Yes, they need to have an internal DAC. Your CD Player has a DAC, your TV has a DAC, your Streaming Player has a DAC. For those with AV Receivers, they also have a DAC.

The question isn't do you have a DAC; the question is can you access that DAC externally.

Not knowing the full detains of your system, the only need I can see for a DAC would be if you have a Stereo system and want to watch movies using that Stereo as a sound source. In this case you route the Optical Audio Out of the TV to the Optical Input on a DAC. Then you have TV/Movie sound in your stereo system.

This is not a problem for AV Receiver, they process directly from ...say... a BluRay player. Though, you might need to use the Optical Out on the TV, to get sound to the Audio system. Though today many cable boxes have HDMI Outputs, in this case, the cable box is no different than the BluRay.

Whether you need external access to a DAC is something only you can determine. I was simply pointing out the difference between the various configurations being discussed.

One of the possible configurations does not give you external access to a DAC. It is up to you to determine IF you need external access to a DAC.

It is not about sound quality, it about available features. Given that in either configuration you will be using the DAC inside the CD6005, or CD5005. Whether the amp has a DAC or not doesn't matter, and doesn't effect sound quality. All configurations use the DAC inside the CD Player.

The question you need to ask is - Do you have any other needs that would require direct access to a DAC?

The most obvious would be if you want to connect a TV to the Audio system for TV and movie watching? If so, the answer is YES, then you need a way to connect the TV and the Stereo. Does the configuration you laid out have that feature? Again, it is about sufficient available features to meet your needs.

Assuming you actually have a need -

RN500 + CDS300 has available access to an external DAC, plus of course, Streaming and CD.

AS500 + CD-N301 does have Streaming and CD but no external access to a DAC.

The AS500 + CD5005 + Bluesound Node give you Streaming and CD, but no access to a DAC. (That I am aware of)

Other than CD and Audio Streaming, do you foresee any other Audio needs? TV for example? If yes, then you need a DAC, if no, no other audio needs, then the answer is no, you don't need a DAC.

Steve/bluewizard

Sorry if I ask too much, but I will build a system which I will keep it for years, probably, so I need to buy the best my money can buy, even If I need to pay more than I expect now.

What do you think a system like that:

Bluesound node
Marantz PM6005
KEF Q300

and nex year:Marantz CD6005

What's more important to quality: a good player or a good amplifier?
All that I read about Marantz is always very good.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom