Hi-Fi Streaming Issue

Dan Turner

Hi all,

I'm trying to solve a problem for my FIL and looking for input from you knowledgeable lot.
He has pair of Mordaunt Short Performance 6 floorstanders connected to a Marantz PM6007 amplifier. He then has/had Marantz CD6007 connected as an input which he used happily for years listening to various CDs etc.
He then wanted to be brought into the 21st century when he started using Spotify etc. so I did a little bit of reading around and it seemed like the ideal solution was to get the Tibo SIA75 and connect it as another input on the PM6007. It solved the problem and he was reasonably happy with it (a few drop out issues but that's more to do with his WiFi which I'm going to resolve) but what we noticed was that to get decent volume he now has to turn up the PM6007 higher than he would previously when listening to CDs. I can only assume that this is because the CD6007 offers independent amplification before passing the signal to the PM6007. This has lead to one instance of a blown tweeter where the children were using Spotify, cranked it up, then chucked it onto CD without thinking; and he just generally finds it annoying.

So all of that is to say I'm trying to figure out a reasonable solution which isn't stupid money involved. My thoughts are to either get rid of the Tibo and replace it with something like the Yamaha WXA-50, sort of in the hope that the amplification output is better, or another option would be to invest in something like the Tibo PA150 (keep the streaming solutions the same to minimise confusion later down the line) and use that as a pre-amplifier which the streamer signal is passed through before being passed onto the PM6007.

Am I going down the right lines or just digging myself in deeper and there is a better/more elegant way to solve this issue?

Thanks in advance

larkone

A couple of inline phone attenuators will pull down the input signal of the louder device and thus reduce the volume bringing them more into line with each other - search for RCA inline attenuators

muljao

The CD player likely gives a line output of 2v. The tibo probably does less, hence the CD player is louder. You can go the route suggested but then you are interfering with how marantz set up the CD player, so I wouldn't do that personally.

You could look for a streaming solution that outputs 2 v also , probably most of them do

Maybe a Yamaha wxad 10 or similar, check specs though to be sure

Dan Turner

The CD player likely gives a line output of 2v. The tibo probably does less, hence the CD player is louder. You can go the route suggested but then you are interfering with how marantz set up the CD player, so I wouldn't do that personally.

You could look for a streaming solution that outputs 2 v also , probably most of them do

Maybe a Yamaha wxad 10 or similar, check specs though to be sure

Thanks, just dug out the specs and the Marantz puts out 2.2V, that Yamaha WXA50 puts out 2V from the line out. So not bang on but closer. Could be the solution

muljao

Thanks, just dug out the specs and the Marantz puts out 2.2V, that Yamaha WXA50 puts out 2V from the line out. So not bang on but closer. Could be the solution
If it's just for Spotify the unit I mentioned is half the price, I believe it outputs 2.1v, so all in same approx ballpark

mseve1

He then wanted to be brought into the 21st century when he started using Spotify etc. so I did a little bit of reading around and it seemed like the ideal solution was to get the Tibo SIA75 and connect it as another input on the PM6007. It solved the problem and he was reasonably happy with it (a few drop out issues but that's more to do with his WiFi which I'm going to resolve) but what we noticed was that to get decent volume he now has to turn up the PM6007 higher than he would previously when listening to CDs. I can only assume that this is because the CD6007 offers independent amplification before passing the signal to the PM6007. This has lead to one instance of a blown tweeter where the children were using Spotify, cranked it up, then chucked it onto CD without thinking; and he just generally finds it annoying.

Are you sure it's the Tibo SIA75?

If so I can't figure out how it could possibly be connected to the PM6007 as the only outputs on the SIA75 are for speakers and subwoofer. No wonder you had problems getting it to work with the Marantz!

If you want to feed a streaming source into the PM6007 amplifier then you need a simple streamer which outputs analogue line level or digital coax or optical rather than a streaming amplifier. Something like the Tibo Bond 3 would fit the bill, or higher up the price scale but much more accomplished, the Bluesound Node. Between these two the discontinued Yamaha WXAD-10 would be another good choice if you can fine one.

Last edited:

Dan Turner

Are you sure it's the Tibo SIA75?

If so I can't figure out how it this could possibly be connected to the PM6007 as the only outputs on the SIA75 are for speakers and subwoofer. No wonder you had problems getting it to work with the Marantz!

If you want to feed a streaming source into the PM6007 amplifier then you need a simple streamer which outputs analogue line level or digital coax or optical rather than a streaming amplifier. Something like the Tibo Bond 3 would fit the bill, or higher up the price scale but much more accomplished, the Bluesound Node. Between these two the discontinued Yamaha WXAD-10 would be another good choice if you can fine one.
You are absolutely correct, I quoted the wrong one.
It's this one: Smart Streamer | Wireless HI-FI Streaming | Pre-amp Built In

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
There should be only a small level difference between the streamer and the CDP. Make sure you're using the LINE OUT on the TIBO (not the PRE OUT) and that you are not using the PHONO IN on the Marantz PM6007 for any non-TT source (use the NETWORK IN for the TIBO if possible).

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B Update, B&W Panorama 3 & Q Acoustics Reviews, HDR PQ EOTF/Gamma Calibration Discussion
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom