1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi FI speakers for fronts instead of Cantons

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Vilaubas, Jan 31, 2005.

1. Vilaubas

Vilaubas
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've just bought a set of Canton CD1's and a pioneer 814 Amp, but got no stands with them (technik direct), before I go out and lash more cash on stands, can I use my rather excellent Hi FI floorstanding speakers instead for the fronts?
    will they have to be the same inpedance or is that not such a big thing?
    My Hi Fi speakers started life as Musical Fidelity (now Tag Mclaren) MC2's which I made new enclosures for.they're BIG, (and for Hi Fi) sounded brilliant.

Any ideas from the assembled Experts?????
    Cheers,
    Vilaubas

2. JurgenNL

JurgenNL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I wouldn't worry about the impedance.
    I think that the question is if the pioneer can handle your hifi speakers in terms of stability and power. As I do not know the pioneer nor the hifi boxes I can't tell in your case.

Jürgen

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    There is no reason why you cannot use your hifi speakers as the main stereo pair of your home cinema system but the problem might be the tonal matching (or lack of) between them and the centre speaker.

The only way to find out how compatible they are is to try it out and play something with plenty of surround steering where voices pan from left to right so that you can see how the voices and other sounds change as they move from speaker to speaker.

4. SKA.face

SKA.face

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently use a little KEF egg,with some B&W P6,if your not fussy,it works,but something like the P6 completely over powers it,and makes it sound weak,hence it's on ebay,and buying an older B&W HTM matrix.

5. Vilaubas

Vilaubas
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm going to give them a go and see what they sound like, but I think I'll put the drivers back into their original enclosures to make them a bit smaller as they are huge just now and will dwarf the PW7.
    Thanks for the advice, it sounds like the age old thing, what looks and sounds great to the listner is what matters, as the whole subject is so personal.
    I do think the cantons sound very good, however when I played a music CD through the DVD and Amp it was awful, is this normal that home cinema systems are no good at music reproduction?, or is the DVD just not that good at CD's
    (Can I run my KI signature CD player through the surround sound amp?I was just wondering how this might sound and if anybody uses their home cinema system like this.)
    Vilaubas.
    Vilaubas

6. JurgenNL

JurgenNL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Yes, in general for the same quality music reproduction you have to pay more (because a home cinema system has much more things to do).
    Yes, you kan run your CD player through your Surround sound amp. There should somewhere be an analogue and also a coaxial input.

A general advice: Keep your old equipment, integrate it into your home system (or use two seperate systems, but that makes live complicated, I think).

7. cityonfire

cityonfire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes DVD players are rubbish at music reproduction from CD's. I had the same problem unless you spend a massive amount on really good home cinema amp(s) it will not sound as good as a good stereo set up. Due to space i had to get rid of my stereo amp and just use a home cinema amp for music and films. Putting your Ki signature on the amp will make a world of difference compared to your dvd player for music. I use my CD6000 KI signature on my amp by the way. Secondly connect it to the amp with the analogue outputs not the digital output. Because if you use the digital output you are just bypassing the far superior digital to analogue converter in your KI SIG for the crap one in the amp which is pointless as this is just wasting the cd player. You may aswell stick on a £50 cd player if you did it this way.

8. Vilaubas

Vilaubas
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the post cityonfire, I'm offshore at the mo but as soon as I get back I'll give it a go using the KI with analogue connections (I've got some rather nice pure silver interconnects doing nothing......pity I cant use my Audiolab 8000 amp in there somewhere, but that really is getting things complicated.
    I notice there are loads of different settings for the amp, is it better to just use the front ones when playing CD's, (when I tried to get a good sound out of it all the surround modes just seemed to make it worse.)
    Vilaubas

9. cityonfire

cityonfire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats right just use straight stereo for playing CD's when using pro-logic and other DSP settings for surround the sound becomes very thin and bright and lacking lots of bass due to bad seperation due to the amp trying to make a surround sound from a stereo source.

10. stefmcd

stefmcd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I had the same dilemma recently.

Have a pair of brilliant floorstanding Polk RT12s. JUst bought my first home cinema amp and speakers (CAnton CD1).

While I knew the Polks (Retailed at 600 per pair in '97) were superior to the Cantons I thought there would be an imbalance in the system. Doubt I'd have saved much by ordering just the centre, rears and sub for my new system so I set up the Canton cd1 package in its entirety. I'm happy with sound but have to admit the sound from a stereo souce is inferior to before - mind you I was also using an Exposure 15 amp (rrp 900) before instead of my TEAC ag10 (rrp 250 odd)

I'm still slightly tempted to slot in my Polks just for a listen.

:)

11. Vilaubas

Vilaubas
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If you give it a go let me know how they sound.

I've posted a few threads about different speaker setups as i'm trying to sort out a good all round sound, 7.1 is something i'm trying to find out about aswell.(or rather the relative merits thereof)

one word of caution is when I was making my floorstanders I was mucking about with drivers and positions /heights of cabinets and left one of the loudspeaker units on the windowsill.........later on that day when i switched on the TV the picture was green!
    I managed to wash it with a big magnet, and luckily it came back, I'm not sure what damage you can do to a plasma, but I would'nt like to take a chance with unshielded drivers next to one.
    Vilaubas

12. Duffers0

Duffers0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ironically just about to ditch my separate CD music set up, but you can icorporate all.

Your Movie amp should be able to pre out the front left right. connnect to Audiolab (assume 8000a) connect front Hifi (and movie setup) speakers to 8000a. Run CD player to 8000a.

For movies use Audiolab for power to fronts just balance the volume, usually about half way on volume knob.

Best of both worleds for movies and music. Will improve quality of movies as well to boot!!

13. Vilaubas

Vilaubas
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hi duffers0,
    got me thinking on that one, if I use the preamp out on the AVamp to the audiolab (you are right A8000) and the CD player feeding into the audiolab, where does the audio output from the Audilab go to? back into the AV amp or directly to the speakers??
    If direct to the speakers what will happen when the AV amp is used normally, will the audiolab power the fronts?

Thanks for the interesting reply, I'll have fun mucking about with this one.#
    Vilaubas.