• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Hi-Fi Speaker Upgrade Advice/Opinions

Sami

Established Member
Hi All,

I currently have a wanted ad here: Wanted - Monitor Audio Gold 50 (Or similar such as AE500 or Focal 906)

But I figured that I would also ask some advice whilst I am searching and would really appreciate anybody's help. I know demoing is important, but some general observations would be wonderful...

I am looking to upgrade my L&R speakers. My set up is Hi-Fi only and that is how I am keeping it. I currently have a pair of Monitor Audio Silver 1 which are wall mounted on speaker brackets (any upgrade will have to be wall mounted on the same brackets as I do not have room for stand mounts), these are being driven by an Arcam Alpha 10i. The source is coming from both a Michell Gyrodec Turntable (which is going through a Project Phono Box RS Pre Amp) and a newly purchased Bluesound Node 2i (playing a mixture of Hi-Res audio and standard res). That's the lot. I am currently bidding on an Arcam Alpha 10p and will probably pursue a purchase of one regardless of my success.
Budget is up to the £1000 mark, whether new or used... (obviously, the less money the better!)

Room size is approx 19ft/11ft

Cheers

Sami

Last edited:

Sami

Established Member
Thanks! I ended up buying the Dynaudio Excite X18 - managed to find some on eBay at a really good price - should be arriving next week...

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom