Hi Fi / Sound System - Pre-Purchase Advice (Dali Spektor & ONKYO)

LeeB33

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi All

I am looking for some advice and opinions really. I am in the process of investing in a new Hi Fi / Sound setup in my Music Room (which is essentially a small box room) in a standard home.

I have, so far, invested in a Turntable (the Audio Technica AT-LP120) and like to play Vinyl as well as digital music via Spotify. I have recently invested in a few of the Abbey Road ‘Half Speed Master’ Vinyl LP’s so want them to sound as good as they possibly can on the budget I have.

I have a budget of around £200-£250 for Speakers and about £500 for the main amplifier system. As it stands, I am heavily swaying towards the DALI Spektor 2 speakers and one of the ONKYO branded Amp’s. I have the Onkyo TX-8150 and RN855 on my shortlist.

My main requirements are the ability to connect a Turntable, a decent pair of Speakers with good connectivity for Spotify (playing from my phone or laptop) and the ability to connect to a TV for sound purposes.

If anyone can provide any advice on these products or something similar/better that is within my budget that would be great.

Thanks in advance for any help.

DALI SPEKTOR 2
DALI Spektor 2 review | What Hi-Fi?

ONKYO TX-8150
Onkyo TX-8150 review | What Hi-Fi?

ONKYO RN855
Onkyo RN855 (Black)

I would have bought a decent AVR for about £200 pre-owned, and bought even better speaker for the money in your budget. Alternative a REL T3 sub to give a bass fundament to your Dali Spektor 2.
An AVR is far more VFM (even in stereo) than the amp alternatives that you mention.

Try this combination.

Yamaha WXC50

Project PHONO BOX MM

Focal Alpha 50 Active Studio Monitor (Single) at Gear4music (need to buy two).

Using the Yamaha as an excellent preamp into the active Focals will get you a sound considerably more grown up than the usual culprits of passive speakers and amplifiers.

Add the project phono box to the analogue inputs on the WXC.

Plug the optical cable from your tv into the Yamaha.

And use the excellent Spotify Connect built into the WXC controlled by your phone; it also has AirPlay, Bluetooth and several other streaming services.

Try this combination.

Yamaha WXC50

Project PHONO BOX MM

Focal Alpha 50 Active Studio Monitor (Single) at Gear4music (need to buy two).

Using the Yamaha as an excellent preamp into the active Focals will get you a sound considerably more grown up than the usual culprits of passive speakers and amplifiers.

Add the project phono box to the analogue inputs on the WXC.

Plug the optical cable from your tv into the Yamaha.

And use the excellent Spotify Connect built into the WXC controlled by your phone; it also has AirPlay, Bluetooth and several other streaming services.
I think you he phono box isn't needed, think there's a built in phono stage

I would have bought a decent AVR for about £200 pre-owned, and bought even better speaker for the money in your budget. Alternative a REL T3 sub to give a bass fundament to your Dali Spektor 2.
An AVR is far more VFM (even in stereo) than the amp alternatives that you mention.
What value is there in paying for amplification you don't need?

Why do you reply " buy an avr" in every thread?

What value is there in paying for amplification you don't need? Why do you reply " buy an avr" in every thread?
You really do not understand? By buying a decent AVR, instead of an amplifier who will not sell 1% out of the market for the AVR, you simply paying less for the same or better sound quality. And in this special case he will also get HDMI-inputs for the money.

What’s more here is that I would advise him to change his budget the other way around: Buy a better speaker for £500 and an amp for £200!

You really do not understand? By buying a decent AVR, instead of an amplifier who will not sell 1% out of the market for the AVR, you simply paying less for the same or better sound quality. And in this special case he will also get HDMI-inputs for the money.

What’s more here is that I would advise him to change his budget the other way around: Buy a better speaker for £500 and an amp for £200!
The OP wants the best audio quality for his money and that is going to come from a stereo amp. The right tool for the right job.

You mean the most expensive tool for a quite simple job? Nice advise...
No. I just trust my ears, they've been around for a fair while. Why the holier than thou attitude.

I think you he phono box isn't needed, think there's a built in phono stage

Cheers sir. :smashin:

In that case a £70 saving. That’ll pay for cables and some not small number of beers with which to enjoy the whole shebang.

What decent AVR is he buying for 200? Lets see some links. Then I'll link you to better stereo amps for the same money.

Why are you always banging on about x% sold??? It's irrelevant.

Why would someone who specifically posted about a turntable setup care about hdmi?

I will agree his budget is the wrong way around. Better to spend 500 on speakers and 200 on an amp (not an avr!).

Thanks for the replies to my post everyone, I appreciate the feedback (despite the differing opinions!)

I am very much pro having a decent Amp opposed to an AVR. I have always had ‘all in one’ Hi-Fi systems with a built in CD player on top and either cassette decks or ipod docking stations (more recently) included and am looking to invest in separates for the first time. I can’t afford top of the range stuff but some budget-mid range products.

In terms of my budget, Richer Sounds have advised me to look at the Monitor Audio Bronze 2 range as they give a ‘better and warmer sound’ than the Dali Spektor 2 speakers but these are £ 279 opposed to £ 199 but I’d rather invest in a relatively good setup that will last for a few years.

Monitor Audio BRONZE 2 (Black)

I know you can get too caught up in reading reviews too but the Yamaha RN803D you recommended (muljao) has a 5 star rating with Richer Sounds, yet What Hi-Fi don’t seem overly impressed but that’s one to consider.

Yamaha R-N803D review | What Hi-Fi?

I would take a serious look at these KEF R100s over the MA Bronze, now reduced from £600 as they are the outgoing model. I've used them for music but with a receiver (now on surround duties) and they certainly more than deserved to be hooked up to a good stereo amp. Terrific mids and surprisingly deep for a smallish speaker.

KEF R100 Bookshelf Speakers

I still have my MA Bronze 2 connected to my Marantz PM6005 as well as KEF R300 speakers. In terms of my room its more suited to the KEF's then the MA Bronze 2 but there are still excellent speakers and great value for money.

I believe Muljao mentioned the Yamaha RN803D and based on what you've said that would be a great option to look at.

In terms of Amps i'm a fan of Marantz especially as it has a built in DAC and a decent phono stage, If your not that keen on the Phono stage then i would suggest buying a Schiit mani which is a nice little upgrade.

Another Hi-Fi retailer have advised me that I would be better suited to having a Stereo Amplifier opposed to a Stereo Receiver and they have recommended the Marantz PM6006. This keeps coming up in recommendations but see that it does not have a Bluetooth connection.

This is going to be very important to me as I want something where I can walk into my room, open Spotify on my phone or Laptop and play songs immediately through my amplifier system. No Bluetooth would be a big problem but have been advised to invest in a dedicated streamer (Yamaha WXAD-10 - £ 119.99)

Last edited:
The Marantz pm6006 is a good amp, not the most powerful so speaker partnership has to be looked at. A streamer would certainly be best for downloads but I'm not into that so let others make recommendations.

I have a Marantz stereo receiver SR5023 ( not AV ) 80 watts per channel and I was also told by a dealer that an integrated amplifier namely the PM6006 would perform better than the receiver the PM6OO6 has a Dac but has a lower wattage output would I stand to lose a lot by changing opinions Please

I have a Marantz stereo receiver SR5023 ( not AV ) 80 watts per channel and I was also told by a dealer that an integrated amplifier namely the PM6006 would perform better than the receiver the PM6OO6 has a Dac but has a lower wattage output would I stand to lose a lot by changing opinions Please
The 6006 has 50 watts into 8 ohms. It does have a good Cirrus Logic DAC and even down on power it could be slightly better than the receiver due to the inclusion of HDAM circuitry. There is really only one way to find out and that's to audition the 6006 and let your ears decide.

Thanks gibbsy

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom