1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi-Fi in the Axis of Evil.......

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by dynamic turtle, Apr 1, 2005.

1. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Gents,

Whilst on a recent visit to Iran, I chanced upon a couple of Hi-fi dealerships! Certainly not what I was expecting :eek: .This is a country where female singers are banned, the electricity fluctuates between 160-260v and officially manufactured music is next to impossible to purchase!

One dealer "Pop Stereo" ( :rotfl: )was pretty small and was 50% car radio. He stocked a lot of Rotel & B&W. He also had a couple of monster McIntosh amps and Dynaudio speakers. I was most surprised to see Mike Creek's amps in the window! I wonder if he knows his equipment is popular with islamic fundamentalists!!

Another dealer - "Yec" - was extremely well-stocked. Lots of Denon, B&W, Kef, Arcam etc. but also some major high-end & esoteric stuff like Gryphon, Accuphase, Krell, Sonus Faber & Pathos. Star of the show were the B&W "Ammonite" nautilus speakers - the £30k flagship jobbies!!!

Officially recorded music and vinyl are almost impossible to come by in Iran. I went to a very expensive looking music store there and bought a living presence cd for $3, only to discover it was a cd-r :mad: - and it was shrink-wrapped!

Makes you wonder what sort of garbage they play on their expensive hi-fi's thinking it's the bees knees :rolleyes:

Just thought the forum would be interested to know that Iranians appreciate good hi-fi equipment too :) . All we need now is someone to report on the latest hi-fi developments in North Korea!!

DT

2. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Excellent report :thumbsup:

3. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    CD-Rs are just fine if they are made properly, sound quality wise that is. Obviously you don't expect to be sold one in a shop.

Interesting information. Is this to become a hi-fi reporting globe trot thread? :)