Hi-Fi help to Norway, please :-)

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Ayabara, Jun 24, 2004.

1. Ayabara

Ayabara

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys.

Just joined the forum and making my first post from Norway :)

I'm in the process of buying my first home cinema equipment, and could really use some advice. It is important to me that my equipment performs well(!) when playing music as well as watching movies. I'm looking for a buy in the budget class.

Until now, I have been considering 3 brands (right word?). I want my receiver and my dvd player to be the same brand.

1. Yamaha. Been looking at RX-V450 or RX-V550. Not found any Yamaha DVD player I fancy yet.

2. Pioneer. Have absolutely no idea if they have good receivers, but I may get a good deal on Pioneer through work... Heard they are very good on DVD players.

3. Marantz. SR4400/SR5400 and DV4400/DV6400. This is where my heart is. I've read that Marantz is very competent when it comes to sound.

When it comes to the speakers I'm kinda thinking about getting something from the Kef Reference series. Anybody have an experience with this? How will these small speakers perform when I want to just listen to music?

I was hoping someone could write me a couple of words if they have something to say after reading my post. I know it is kinda vague, but I have to start somwhere, right? :)

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I have no idea if the prices in Norway are simalr to England but here goes.
    Marantz buy the 5400 over the 4400. If you can afford it go for the 7400. Much better with Stereo and has more power and channels. Many posts about it on these forums :)
    I dont know much about Marantz DVD players so cant comment.

Pioneer make good recievers but they are better with H/C than music. They do make good dvd players as well.

Yamaha are also better with H/C than music but have been getting better with the _50 series.

Which Kef speakers are you specifically looking at?

Which ver you choose make sure you can demo them before purchase as you migh decide you dont like the sound of them. :lesson:

3. Atano

Atano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ayabara, you should check out the norwegian forum www.avforum.no.

I'm using the Pioneer 668 dvd player, and the picture is as crisp as it gets. It's also equipped with SACD/DVD-A and hdmi. You can manage to get the price down to about 500£, and less for a secondhand if you're lucky enough to get one.
    The sound is nice on sacd/dvd-a, and also in stereo - though IMO it never reaches the highs of less priced dedicated cd-players. Get a reasonably priced DAC to accompany it and you got yourself a killer combo tho. :cool:

4. Ayabara

Ayabara

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually I'm also a member of the norwegian forum. Just felt like expanding my horizon :)

A small change of plans today. I found a used Marantz PM7200 stereo amp that I bought. Because of my small living room and WAF, I've decided to go for 2 channels for now. Tomorrow I'm picking up a Marantz CD6000 OSE.

Still the Kef speakers sound interesting. I used to own a pair of Q7 that I was really happy with. I'm now considering to go with the Q5. Q3 is also an option. How does the Q3's perform compared with the Q5's? A store here in Oslo has a demo used pair of Kef Coda 90, which I have never even heard of... May be worth it to check those out too.

Any other speakers that may go well with the Marantz you think?

I still want a Pioneer DVD player, and I'm thinking about going for either the DV-656A or the DV-565A

5. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    Pioneer has just replaced the DV-565A with DV-575A and it has pal progressive as well now, including DVD-A and SACD. Its a belter people say here.

If you want real stereo quality, Danish Dynaudio Audience 62 since you seem to look for a floorstander. Dynaudio are awesome speakers.

Also check www.prisjakt.no and www.dvdforum.nu - the biggest Swedish forums, and they are pretty big forums.

I'm a Swede-ish myself (chinese brought up there ;D)

Wasabi