Hi-Fi for the Kitchen

Trapped Wind

Novice Member
Given the amount of time I spend cooking, working and entertaining in the kitchen, I'm looking for a new practical sounds set-up to include: amp, radio (want good quality radio sound), CD player, and network streamer (to connect with the PC). As it's for the kitchen I'd ideally prefer all components in one or two units; not a tower of ugly separates piled up on the kitchen worktop. I already have a pair of neat Celestion 'A Compact' 75W bookshelf speakers in a mahogany type finish which I'm happy with but open to replacing if recommended.

Previously I had an emerald green Linn Classik (all-in-one amp, CD player & tuner) which became faulty but was a perfect arrangement for a decent sound given the environment. And it looked good - simple & graceful. Sound quality is important of course but so is practicality for a working room, and as I live in an Elizabethan farmhouse I'm also trying to take the visuals into consideration too.

I was going to replace the Linn with a Marantz PM7000N amp/streamer (£950) which seems well regarded so all I'd have to add was a CD player - perhaps the Marantz CD6007 (£399, or retrieve my hardly-used Rotel RCD-965BX from the attic). Both being available in 'champagne' finish, the arrangement would also look pleasant in a kitchen instead of boring, same-old black or aluminium. These two would cost ~£1,350 which is a bit over the top but acceptable. I asked a helpful assistant at Peter Tyson who said the Yamaha R-N602 or R-N803D would also suit my requirements. The R-N803D (£589), first released four years ago, seems the better of the two as it has a tuner, albeit rather deep in size for a worktop at 400mm, and a bit of an 80s-looking chunky brut.

I was also considering the cheaper, but not so highly rated regarding sound quality, Marantz Melody X M-CR612 Music System (£549), or the Denon CEOL N11DAB network CD receiver (£529), but wonder if I'll be disappointed having been used to the Linn.

If anyone has any experience of the above products or has had a similar situation I'd appreciate your thoughts before I possibly 'waste' £1,350 on most probably the Marantz PM7000N & CD6007.

Helix Hifi

Can you consider Sonos wireless speakers? Can be placed more of less every where with the right hard ware. Wall bracket. Place them in the ceiling too.

When you’re cooking your dinner in the kitchen I can’t imagine you need more then 40 watts, even that is overkill.

If you want all-in-one -set boxes then Sonos is something I’d recommend.

Or you can buy the Marantz CD6007 with the Yamaha WXA 10

My suggestion. I don’t think you need too spend so much money like the Marantz PM700N. Those amplifiers are more for living room facilities.

Helix Hifi

After reading the post again. Yamaha has network/streaming/Cd players. Not so expensive also. Cheaper then the Marantz PM6007.

If design is important too you then perhaps Cambridge, the same solution as the Yamaha might work. Large display which displays if you stream high res etc.

But if you store the CDs on some server of some kind then perhaps you don’t need the above options.

If it wasn’t for the need to play old fashioned silver CDs, then Bluesound has similar options like Sonos,

acgingersnaps

Agree with the comments re Bluesound or Sonos above.
I use a pair of Sono Play 3 in the kitchen and they're great for that. No speaker wires and just a plug needed each. Also, metal, wipeable grills. Controlling everything from your phone (streaming, podcasts, radio etc) is far preferable to bothering about changing CD's in a kitchen. If you want a bigger sound, a single Sonos Play 5 or it's Bluesound equivalent are both beasts.

As an aside, if I were starting again much as I'm happy enough with the Sonos to not want to change now, I'd probably go for something with slightly less of a walled garden like Audio Pro or Bluesound.

acgingersnaps

I should point out that it's easy for me to say as I have a proper rig in another room. I appreciate not everyone's in that position.

andycc72

I use an audioPro C10 in my kitchen, a pair of them would be marvellous and come it at around £500

mseve1

I was going to replace the Linn with a Marantz PM7000N amp/streamer (£950) which seems well regarded so all I'd have to add was a CD player - perhaps the Marantz CD6007 (£399, or retrieve my hardly-used Rotel RCD-965BX from the attic). Both being available in 'champagne' finish, the arrangement would also look pleasant in a kitchen instead of boring, same-jold black or aluminium.
You can't go wrong with the PM7000N which would go well with your existing Celestions but I would suggest that you don't need to bother with a CD player - especially if you're limited for space. Personally, I think something like a £10/month Spotify premium subscription would be a far better substitute for the CDP in terms of flexibility and lack of clutter in your kitchen.

Trapped Wind

Novice Member
Thank you for your replies for choosing an appropriate kitchen set-up, and I'm pleased I asked for ideas especially as I am so out of date with new Hi-Fi given my last purchases were in 2004. The Sonus, Bluesound and Audio Pro wireless systems are all sensible options now being considered, although as I've already got acceptable speakers I may be more inclined to buy an amp/streamer. The Audio Pro wireless speaker is a particularly excellent idea I hadn't thought of which could be ideal as a shower room radio as I was going to have a Ruark R2 or R4 but the Audio Pro will surely sound better. Presumably in a larger room two would be required for stereo sound, or would that really be 2 x mono speakers? I'll buy it after auditioning it as it'll always do for any room before buying a more pricier streamer.

I have quite a few CDs and a decent player in the car that there's no point in replacing, plus having hard copies is a wise back-up for music files. But reading the suggestions here has made me realise I don't have to have CDs and therefore a player in the house, so buying a player for the kitchen can now be avoided as the CDs could be digitised and kept on the PC for the network streamer.

Apart from the arrangement providing amplification and wireless access to the computer, I want radio - especially obscure foreign internet music stations which I can't imagine being on apps like TuneIn. Currently I get my foreign internet radio successfully through PC and wired powered speakers (which are not kept in the kitchen). Does anyone know if something like the Marantz PM700N or any of the wireless options suggested above would provide radio listening only through TuneIn type apps or are there other more extensive ways of playing radio? (Even better if not subscription or with Ads.)

Personally, I think something like a £10/month Spotify premium subscription would be a far better substitute for the CDP in terms of flexibility and lack of clutter in your kitchen.

Do you know if Spotify Premium provides predominantly well known western pop (which I like but rarely listen to)?

mseve1

Does anyone know if something like the Marantz PM700N or any of the wireless options suggested above would provide radio listening only through TuneIn type apps or are there other more extensive ways of playing radio? (Even better if not subscription or with Ads.)
Most internet radio devices use TuneIn, VTuner or similar such free aggregator services to provide access to internet radio. It should also be possible to assign custom URLs to the device to access more obscure stations. However, it should be noted that local legislation (esp. in the UK) may prevent access to certain foreign stations.

Do you know if Spotify Premium provides predominantly well known western pop (which I like but rarely listen to)?
It's probably best for you to access the free version of Spotify on your PC or phone to check out the range of material available before you commit a subscription. You could also check out free trials of other streaming services if Spotify doesn't appeal.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
The Marantz 612 is certainly no powerhouse. I think it would struggle rather impossibly to get the same response as the Linn from your speakers. Same goes for the Denon. They possess rather feeble, current lacking power amp chips.

However, the Marantz does have preoutputs which makes it the perfect candidate for a pair of active speakers.

(Ps, I’d go for the previous version, or the one before that of the Marantz. There is no discernible difference except a big price difference).

That would leave you with enough money for a pair of very impressive active speakers.

My personal first choice would be these;

£800 the pair.

And say this,

All n it should be around £1100.

And quite a splendid sound.

Alternatively these Lyd 5s are also rather special.

And something of a bargain used pair here.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
Ps, on Spotify you can find everything. It’s music base and breadth is prolific.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom