Hi everyone I just would like to get an honest opinion about receivers. I am currently using a 5.1 setup. Floor standing speakers - Canton Chrono SL 5

bejoantony

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone I just would like to get an honest opinion about receivers. I am currently using a 5.1 setup. Floor standing speakers - Canton Chrono SL 580DC, Centre Channel - Canton Chrono 505.2, Rear - Bose 301 V and Subwoofer - JBL Stage A100P. All there are running with a Denon AVR - 2113. I know it’s an entry level. I wanted to upgrade my receiver. Which one would you suggest?!. Would you suggest Yamaha over Denon and Marantz? Or anything else. If so why?. People says if I get a Yamaha receiver there will be a big difference in quality of output. Well, I don’t have a big budget. Most of current system I bought as pre owned!. Looking forward to your advice. Thank you in advance.

Is it just for films, or do you also listen to music. What is most important to you.

Hi thank you for your response. I mostly use it for Music videos (YouTube and other channels) and movies from Prime, Netflix etc.

It's not a bad AVR - why do you want a new one? If it's for a perceived jump in sound quality I'm not sure you're going to get it from any other entry level AVR. What is your budget?

It's not a bad AVR - why do you want a new one? If it's for a perceived jump in sound quality I'm not sure you're going to get it from any other entry level AVR. What is your budget?
Hi, my budget is around £600. There are few receivers I came across, they all are used ones which are. Yamaha RX V6A, RX A2A, RX A1050, RX A 2060, RX A1080 etc.
Don’t know which one is good and will make a difference if I change to. If there won’t be a noticeable difference then there is no point of changing then as my budget is limited.

Or is it going to help if give separate amp for floor standers. But would all speakers work together when plays music and movies!.

Sorry my knowledge is limited in these and I am just a beginner.

Thank you.

The Yamaha receivers are certainly better at portraying stereo music than your Denon but only marginally with some of those models. The RXA 1080 is a very good AV amp but is not too far off your Denon age wise.

You could look at a stand alone stereo amp to run alongside the Denon providing you can run all your music sources through that. If you watch YT, which is a stereo broadcast, then for convenience it is still preferable to run through the Denon. In that case it would not be worth the additional cost of a stereo amp.

The work abound would be a digital optical from the TV to a stereo amp providing that amp does have it's own DAC. Keeping the 2113 you would then need a speaker switcher such as the Beresford 7220 into which both the 2113 and the stereo amp would have a connection. That would essential keep the multi channel and stereo playback separate whilst still using the same front left and right speakers.

Hi, my budget is around £600. There are few receivers I came across, they all are used ones which are. Yamaha RX V6A, RX A2A, RX A1050, RX A 2060, RX A1080 etc.
Don’t know which one is good and will make a difference if I change to. If there won’t be a noticeable difference then there is no point of changing then as my budget is limited.

Or is it going to help if give separate amp for floor standers. But would all speakers work together when plays music and movies!.

Sorry my knowledge is limited in these and I am just a beginner.

Thank you.

Yamaha RX-A2060 (2016) from those without doubt if it has the connections/features you want. It should be good upgrade for both movies and music from the old affordable 2012 Denon! Of course there is always risks buying used product, but Yamaha is usually one of the best when it comes to reliability.

Hi
Sorry to use the same forum .
My home cinema is 5.1with denon 4500 and Kef R300(front left and right and SVS sub.
I want to use Arcam solo music for stereo music in the same room.
I found Arcam better than denon for stereo.
How do I connect Denon to Arcam please so that I can use Arcam for stereo music?

Hi
Sorry to use the same forum .
My home cinema is 5.1with denon 4500 and Kef R300(front left and right and SVS sub.
I want to use Arcam solo music for stereo music in the same room.
I found Arcam better than denon for stereo.
How do I connect Denon to Arcam please so that I can use Arcam for stereo music?
To be able a stereo amp alongside the Denon would need either a stereo amp with HT by-pass or the use of a speaker switcher such as the Beresford 7220 for stereo amps without HT by-pass. The Solo falls into the latter as it does not have by-pass.

With the Beresford you connect both the Denon and the Solo to it, then the R300s would be connected to the Beresford. With an A or B selection for either Denon or Solo you are basically separating the two units whilst still using the R300s for both surround sound and music.

With a HT by-pass amp it's much easier. The Denon's front left and right pre-outs are connected to the by-pass amp direct input with the R300s connected to the stereo amp. For film and TV both units are powered up but for music just the stereo amp is used. Works very easily. I used a Rega Elicit-R alongside my Denon X6500 and R300s for several years.

Thanks gibbsy.
Any suggestions for a better amp to replace arcam solo music in a price range of 800 to 1000£,as I was thinking of upgrading from Arcam solo music.
eg:Audiolab 6000 ,looks like amp with HT bypass ,Rotel A14 mkII
or I might by beresford which I see costs about 90£ on ebay.

Thanks gibbsy.
Any suggestions for a better amp to replace arcam solo music in a price range of 800 to 1000£,as I was thinking of upgrading from Arcam solo music.
eg:Audiolab 6000 ,looks like amp with HT bypass ,Rotel A14 mkII
or I might by beresford which I see costs about 90£ on ebay.
I use an Audiolab 6000A in conjunction with my Denon 4500H. It's a very good amp imo. My main L&R speakers' are Monitor Audio Silver 300's - and it drives them very well. Obviously I'd strongly recommend a home demo of the 6000A, so you can judge the synergy with your R300's, as it'll likely be different.

Adding the 6000A (for me) has certainly improved music performance sufficiently to justify the extra expense. Ymmv of course. Happy to help with any setup/connection queries you may have too.

Thanks Jester.
Arcam solo works well so far.
Not sure whether I need to change to Audiolab or not,by big dilemma!

Thanks Jester.
Arcam solo works well so far.
Not sure whether I need to change to Audiolab or not,by big dilemma!

You can get home trial from Audio-T and Richer Sounds for the 6000A. You can then listen at home and decide is it worth it.

Click on the "Arrange demonstration" and choose shop near you.

PS. If you play the music with Denon set it to stereo mode (not direct/pure direct!) and go to menu MultEQ XT32, set it as "L/R Bypass" over the "Reference" which is set as default. You get the sub working with R3s and eq for it, but not for the speakers which is ideal if you don´t use the editor app. Many folks feels this mode sounds fine for music.

With the editor app (20€) it should sound even better as you can have the correction for speakers in important region limiting it to ~300hz so cleaning up some room modes in the bass region, it won`t change the tonality of your speakers. I think many feels the Pure Direct sounds bit flat and if you use the stereo mode and "Reference or Flat" target curve it doesn´t sound as good for music. Set it to "L/R ByPass" now with the 2ch stereo mode and report back how it sounds. Manual below shows where it can be found:

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom