1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi Definition and the future of gaming.

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by baldyman, Dec 17, 2004.

1. baldyman

baldyman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi,
    I work for a company making video games.
    We are currently looking into the next generation of game console hardware.

I just wondered if anyone here can elaborate on the spec of hi'def and if there are any variations in the resolution and hz rating in all major territories including PAL/NTSC/SECAM :)

I thought this would be an obvious place to ask whilst I hunt on google for answers to the above.

All info appreciated. :smashin:

2. JayX

JayX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    all the information is pretty much here already. depending on what platform you're developing will indicate what you can do.

for example:

PAL xbox: no hidef capability.
    NTSC xbox (or PAL xbox modded with enigmah video switch set to NTSC): allows 480p (EDTV) 720p and 1080i

720p puts a lot of strain on the box, and a limited number of games exist for it. Soul Calibur 2 "breaks the rules" and produces a 720p fullscreen image, and a few sports games and tony hawks also do 720p. 1080i is even less used, and choices in titles are odd.. the Into The Matrix game supports 1080i, but players were very dubious as to its use, stating textures were at the same resolution etc.

to be honest, as you guys know nothing about HD, your choice to wait until the next round is wise, when the PAL consoles will probably be HD enabled, and you'll have learnt more about HD as a whole. also, they'll have the power to do proper HDTV, atm the main advantage to running an xbox with a HD cable is to get progressive scan on a native res image (EDTV). considering the xbox trounces the gc/ps2 in power, then this'll give you an indication of what is actually possible at the moment. its defo worth importing an xbox (or modding a uk one) and looking at the differences with proper hardware, and then working out whether you are able to implement this in your software in the future.

hz frequency is the same as ever, but this time the resolution is standard across all platforms (ie 1080/50 exists as well as 1080/60. i can't think why any 1080 capable display wouldn't allow 60hz tho, so i personally can't see the point in developing games at 1080/50 myself)

3. Rimmer

Rimmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The next-gen consoles will need to be backwards compatible with standard-def TVs, so a PAL 50Hz output via SCART will be probably be included, though most TVs would be quite happy with PAL60. I'm not actually sure how 50/60Hz differences affect game development, whether running a 60Hz game at 50Hz involves frameskipping, or whether there is a speed difference. Perhaps someone who knows about this could elucidate. The Gamecube has a 60Hz mode.

4. JayX

JayX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    true enough, if you're going to make a game at 576i/50 you might's well make it 1080i/50 as well. luckily we're seeing the amount of games with no 60hz support slowly drain away :D the GC method of going into 60hz mode is most odd it must be said heh.

5. Evil Engineer

Evil Engineer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    The old 50Hz/60Hz issue was a big deal back in the days of the SNES and Megadrive.

All the games used to be developed in NTSC, even those that were from European developers, and absolutely nobody made the effort to do decent PAL versions.

So you'd get a squashed image with borders top and bottom as a result of displaying a 480 line image on a 576 line display. This also gave a wonderful reverse anamorphic effect where circles became ovals and squares became rectangles.

Even better than this was the fact that running a 60Hz game at 50Hz meant that everything was slowed down by 17%. Not a good thing for twitch gaming!

It's no wonder that the hardcore wouldn't touch PAL with a barge pole.
    See Starfox (a.k.a. Starwing) on the SNES for the world champ crap PAL version. And this game was developed in the UK as well !

As far as the next-gen consoles go, my money is on the games being developed at 60Hz. I'd also say that 1080i is more likely than 720p (games have always gone for 60 fps even when interlaced NTSC only gives 30 "full" frames a second).

As has already been said, PAL backwards compatability is a given. I'd imagine that if you fork out the extra £30-£40 that they'll charge you for a component or HDMI (hope so!) cable that the system will default to 60Hz as any display with the right socket at the other end is bound to support it.

6. Rimmer

Rimmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As an PAL Amiga owner, I was always annoyed with the black border that was present on nearly every game. For a while I had the impression that American TVs were actually a different shape from European ones! On the WinUAE emulator, if you select NTSC mode, games seem to run insanely fast compared with what I'm used to on PAL.

Gamecube aside, does the 50/60Hz issue also affect modern systems like the PS2, meaning that PAL PS2 games run 17% slower in PAL?

7. NinjaShredder

NinjaShredder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But 720p is at 60 fps. That is 60 full frames per second of 720 lines each.

8. Evil Engineer

Evil Engineer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Yes, I know that 720p60 gives 60 frames a second.

The reason I reckon they will go to 1080i is that it's a higher resolution even if you only get half of those lines in one go.

Of course I could be wrong. Apart from Sharp's 45" monster 720p is much closer to the native resolution of most HD displays available today.

Also, will the new consoles have enough grunt to work in 1920x1080?
    We all remember the hype about the PS2 and the "emotion engine" and what did we get? A console no more powerful than the Dreamcast (which had already been available for a year) and that couldn't even produce graphics free of jaggies!

The main advantage of 1080i is that it's more like a high end gaming PC resolution and that will save on development costs for cross platform games. Full on 1080p displays will probably be fairly common at the end of the next console cycle in 2010 so why not go for it now?