HI DEF Widescreen TV?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by 2kool, Aug 18, 2005.

1. 2kool

2kool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi There,

Can anyone recommend a high def CRT widescreen TV for around £500-£600. I have been looking at the Samsung WS32Z08P but after reading all the problems associated with this I've decided to give it a miss (especially after the recall by Samsung which some of you said has happened).

I saw the Philips 32PW9570 in Currys today - what a fantastic picture. The only thing is its not high def.

Does anyone know of a CRT high def widescreen television. If so please could you help.

Also is the Philips 32PW9570 better than the 32PW9509?

Any help would be much appreciated.

2Kool

2. TV Headache

TV Headache
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think you'll find one in Europe.

3. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +866
    The JVC HV-36P38 is a 36" widescreen flatscreen CRT TV on sale in the UK that will accept and display 1080i HDTV over it's component inputs. It will also accept 576p (SD progressive), but not 720p. They are available in your price range from time to time. There are also 28" and 32" models, but I would have thought a big screen would better take advantage of the resolution. However, it is not hi-def in the sense that it will take 1080i AND 720p over HDMI or DVI and with HDMI etc....

Nick

4. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +866
    For anyone that is interested in getting a TV that can give you a picture to make any plasma weep, there is a retailer listing a JVC HV-36P38 on ebay at the moment. So it doesn’t accept HDCP – there are cheap and easy ways round that, including connecting the Sky HD box directly with the HD component interface. I think the reserve is £470, which is good value for an SD 36” set. It was the European TV Of The Year in 2004. There may be 28” and 32” sets available, too.

Nick

5. Shensuke

Shensuke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    2kool,

just so you don't make the same mistake I do in assuming that any high-def compatible TV will accept the current most widely-supported high-def resolution (720p), I will repeat what earlier posts have already stated, the JVC HV-36P38 TV DOES NOT SUPPORT 720P.

It will support 1080i, 768p, & a few other rare/not-so-common high-def resolutions.

I don't know if Sky have announced what high-def format they'll be utilising. As for high-def DVDs (blu-Ray or HD-DVD), for PAL European consumers, there've also been no announcements to my knowledge (Americans will get either 1080i or 720p).

So, if you must buy a high-def TV right now, do your research carefully mate.

As much as I think the JVC HV-36P38 is a great TV, the ommission of 720p compatibility is a major major let down (I can't play my American high-def Xbox games!).

6. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +866
    Shensuke,
    Yes, I said that right above.
    Do we take it you have a HV-36P38?
    Do you have a 1080i source - if so, what's it like?
    Are you sure about 768p support? I'm pretty sure that all CRT HDTVs don't have a high enough horizontal scanning frequency for 720p, let alone 768p.
    Nick

7. ilkand

ilkand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Could somebody please tell me what refresh rate the 1080i or 576p is at on this tele. Is it 50hz? Is this then changed to 60hz internally? I fancied connecting my computer to one.

Thanks
    Andrew

8. cooleo_no1

cooleo_no1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too want to know what other CRT TVs are semi-future ready.

I've been looking at LCDs but to be honest they just look crap with SD.

I use the TV for about 80% Terrestrial and Freeview, 10% Xbox and 10% DVD. However, when the X360 comes out it's gonna be around 20-30% Xbox360.

To add to the situation, our 11 year old Toshy is finally packing in, flickering up and down and flashing red lines across the screen every 2 minutes.

Does anybody know an excellent CRT that displays good SD broadcasts and is capable of excellent quality 1080i over component. That would be my dream TV. I've researched the Slim Samsung but apparently it's not good and the JVCs and Toshys certainly don't seem like standout winners... basically, what's the best of the bunch?

9. cooleo_no1

cooleo_no1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would I be right in saying that the best is the Toshiba 32ZP48?

10. Sofa1

Sofa1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    but, Toshiba is not 1080i?

11. TankTopLover

TankTopLover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +189
    But it is 480p,and the 360 accepts 480p.

And imo 480p rocks :D

12. cooleo_no1

cooleo_no1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, put it this way, what CRT TVs are 1080i?

The Samsung Slimfit and the JVC? Is that all?

13. TankTopLover

TankTopLover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +189
    Whats the point,they will look poor at 1080i i can guarantee you that.Better off getting an LCD if your so dead set on 1080i/p.

For me 480p is awesome enough.

14. cooleo_no1

cooleo_no1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was hoping to get some sort of HD going on though, to kind of future-proof me just a little bit. I've seen the Samsungs problems, they're not that bad and its about £400. This Toshiba can't do any HD resolutions and costs about £600-700. However, I expect the image quality to be much better. LCD doesn't seem worth it to me either, the price you pay for the quality you get doesn't make sense to me. I can't understand why people buy these LCDs then complain about Sky on them. The only reason I'd get a LCD at the moment is if I just wanted to watch DVDs (HD-DVDs) or play on my Xbox360. The fact is, I use the TV for terrestrial and freeview so I can't future-proof it.

WHY DON'T ANY EUROPEAN MANUFACTURERS MAKE BLOODY HD CRTS!?!?!

It boggles the frickin' mind. Just one, nice set with 1080i that doesn't have problems! Anyway, that's never gonna happen, because they're profiteering sons of ....

Does anybody know a good shop around the Warwickshire area for these TVs, like Birmingham or Solihull. I could try JL, but they're pretty expensive and probably only have plasmas and LCDs in store. I'll try ringing up Total Digital in Birmingham, see what TVs they have.

15. TankTopLover

TankTopLover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +189
    I agree LCD's are a waste of time if you watch alot of noemal tv.Wait until the 360 come sout and try it on a 480p tv and then tell me you need more quality.... :rolleyes:

16. Sofa1

Sofa1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    hard to agree. on my Samsung slimfit picture is very good at 1080i and way better than progressive 480p, that's for sure. I'm watching everything at 1080i and gave up of 480p quickly :thumbsdow it is my personal experience, not some thoughts and opinions based on rumours and prejudices :nono:

17. Brimstone

Brimstone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Stuart, why do you think/guarantee it will look [email protected]?
    I've still have a personel preference for CRT over plasma and LCD, and having that quality reproduction with HD 720/1080 would surely be amazing.
    Even the HD rear projection sets look far better than before (still v.poor dim/light imo mind you).

I havent heard about the Samsung problems but i guess they revolve around the difficulty in getting the extra resolution to fit in a young product design (CRT HD) although the US have had them for a while so surely problems for this change in technology squeezing shouldnt be a big problem.

I'm hoping for a Tosh HD PF4 to appear some time soon ;-)
    May have to keep hoping...

Cheers, Brim.

18. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +916
    There used to be a 38" CRT screen made by Loewe that (I am told) produced just about the best 1080i picture available; sadly, it's been discontinued, and it was never sold in Europe, only in america (even though Loewe is a European company!).

19. Brimstone

Brimstone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Not the first time i've felt a 2nd class citizen compared to differences in the states - cost of CD's, price of petrol (!!), and they get all the HD goodies too :D :mad: :D :mad:

Honk.

20. 0lly

0lly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Sofa,

Just a couple of questions. What are you watching in 1080i i.e. HD films?
    What are you playing the films on i.e. PC?

21. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +320
    BBC did some research into hidef. Can't remember the exact figures but it went something like this...at a distance of 2.7metres (avg viewing distance apparently)

<32" 480p is fine.
    >=32" < 52" then 720p
    >=52" then 1080i/p

So what they are saying is generally if you have a 32" TV and watch from a normal distance, roughly 2.7m from the tv, then you are not going to notice the difference between 720p & 1080i/p you will notice a difference between 480 & 720.

To be honest I didn't notice much difference between 720 & 1080 on a 42" tv from about two metres away. Obviously I'll be going for 1080 if I can though....I want the best for my children :D

22. Hitchcock

Hitchcock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with you, it's a shame they don't have any over here in Europe. The CRTs, especially the plain 50 Hz ones, still produce much more pleasant and natural looking images than any of the current LCDs and Plasmas do, no matter what the salesperson or others tell you. Just open your eyes, you know deep within what they say is not true, so don't let them brainwash you, like they've done to others.

By the way, does anyone know if the HDTV CRTs currently being sold in the US can be put to use over here in Europe? There is the difference of the refresh rate: 60 Hz over there, and 50 Hz over here, plus – for standard definition (SD) broadcasts – the difference of the scan lines : 480 over there, and 576 over here. Does this make it impossible for us European viewers to use those sets or are there ways around this? Has anyone perhaps actually imported one of those sets and is using one right now?

I do not wish to slam LCDs and plasmas, some of them are actually very good, and much better than they were just a couple of years ago, but the difference between them and CRTs is still evident. On the other hand, this difference might be much less perceivable on HDTV transmissions, I don't know, maybe someone on this forum has seen the two, i.e. HDTV LCD or HDTV plasma and HDTV CRT, both with the same HDTV broadcast (in America, Japan or elsewhere) and can give us their comparison?

23. TV Headache

TV Headache
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tried using a Samsung HD CRT from Korea and that wouldn't play any PAL DVDs never mind receive PAL broadcasts.

I used the same Samsung to look at some HD footage that I've seen before on plasma and it certainly didn't have the same impact. But that could have been down to the screen size - 32" vs 50" !

The best pictures I have seen on any TV (ever!) were on a 46" Sony LCD with 1080x1920 res and LED backlighting. Good HD content on that baby puts any CRT picture in the shade.

24. Kalos Geros

Kalos Geros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    When we're talking 1080i on Samsung SlimFit or other CRTs that claim 1080i support - are we talking about these sets ACCEPTING and DISPLAYING 1080i (CRT's screen phosphor resolution should be roughly twice as high vertically as it is on a normal PAL-only CRT) or just ACCEPTING and DOWNCONVERTING (some possibly very badly) to 576 visible lines??? I am really confused here...

25. cooleo_no1

cooleo_no1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its native resolution is 1080i.

This means that it can accept 1080i inputs without up or downscaling. They also upconvert things to 1080i.

26. Kalos Geros

Kalos Geros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    That's nice to hear... ;)

27. JavierS

JavierS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a JVC Hv-36P38 and an iScan HD+ scaler/hub (future proofing->HDMI/DVI input).
    PQ is amazing at 1080i and easily beats any plasma/lcd I've seen.
    Cheers.

28. Monkfish

Monkfish
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I agree with Jus’ stats; you'd be hard pressed to notice HDTV on anything under 36" at normal viewing distances. TV images are not like desktop images with fine lines and edges to render. I think HDTV is for the 42" plasma crowd. Probably the cheapest way to appreciate HD footage is on a PC at a distance of 2 feet.

29. JavierS

JavierS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you ever watched HDTV on a 36"?
    In case you haven't I suggest you do, there is quite a difference between PAL/NTSC and 1080i on 36" even at normal viewing distances. Besides, no 42" plasma displays true HDTV, most are either 852x480 or 1024x768 so they downscale even 720p to their native resolution, you'll need a 50" to watch true 720p.
    There are loads of HDTV WMV and TS demos (720p, 1080i and 1080p) clips around so its easy to compare DVD Vs HDTV.

30. Monkfish

Monkfish
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well I did say "under 36"; i.e. I really meant it was not worth it on a 32" or less. Sure its good on a 36", but there just aren't many HDTV CRTs that can show HDTV (not in Europe anyway), hence many people will only get to appreciate HDTV on the new and larger flat screen or projection technologies (as you point out).

I totally agree that 36" is the point at which the standard number of lines starts to look crude (or even 32" if the kids are sitting 12 inches away ;)).

Most 32" TV owners know what 36" looks like because the zoom mode spreads the lines to around that shown on an unzoomed 36" TV (e.g. zooming analog BBC 14:9 to full-screen).