1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi-def using the pc?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Synchronicity, Feb 18, 2005.

1. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Ok,Im not really sure if this should be in the PJ,Hi Def section instead of this one so mods please move if you feel better suited elsewhere.

Should I be able to get true Hi Def using my pc and Sanyo Z2 projector?Ive tried playing a Hi Def film and either I was expecting too much or I hadnt configured my set up correctly(personally I think its the latter).

Ive got a nagging feeling that its something to do with 1:1 mapping or something like that but really need some guidance,but at the same time wouldnt be surprised if my set up isnt even capable of displaying true 1080 hidef :confused:

Any help would be appreciated. :lease:
    Cheers
    JB

2. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,067
    Depends what you mean by true hidef. You'll be able to playback 720p and 1080i material no problem. The PC will scale the 1080i stuff down to 720p (assuming you've set your desktop resolution to 1280x720 which you should do). Despite the 1080i stuff being scaled down to 720p it still looks measurably better than 720p material. If you weren't impressed when you tried it then you must have had something wrong as it looks stunning! Download one of the 1080p clips at www.wmvhd.com , digital life or Magic of Flight or Step into liquid (you'll need a beefy PC to play these by the way!). Trust me they look amazing on the Z2 I had a Z2 before my Z3 and hidef stuff looked wonderful on it.

Cheers
    Andy

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    You're probably right JB, if you haven't got 1:1 mapping then you'll be losing a lot of PQ. Even though you're trying to play 1080 (is this 'i' or 'p'?) you want to set your desktop to 1280x720, having the PC scale the image rather than the projector.

You don't say what graphics card you have. Assuming it's a recent ATI or nVidia then recent drivers support 1280x720 without help, however many people continue to use Powerstrip to achieve native resolution.

4. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,067
    You know what I'm a bit confused about the 1080i/1080p thing too! I always thought it was 720p or 1080i but the WMVHD site samples are 720p or 1080p. Anyway, 1080 is better than 720 which is all I'm bothered about at the end of the day!

Cheers
    Andy

5. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    AIUI HDTVs are 720p or 1080i, as are HD cable/sat. services in the US and the sat. service in Europe somewhere .. as far as I can make out 1080p takes up too much bandwidth to be practical.

As with NTSC and PAL therefore, 'i' is used for practical purposes. What I don't understand is that since bandwidth and capacity aren't an issue with HD DVD why they didn't adopt 1920x1080p for that (I'm under the impression it's 1280x720p).

6. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Thanks for the replies folks,it's really appreciated :thumbsup:

I think I will definatley have another crack and make sure I do it right this time.Oh,my pc specs are:
    Barton 3000 proccessor
    1.25 gig of ram
    ATI 9800 pro gfx card

...so hopefully my pc will be up to scratch.

7. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,510
    plenty