1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi-Def TV - Should we have had it back in 1989??

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Paul O, Nov 16, 2004.

1. Paul O

Paul O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Hi everyone!

Just been on a nostalga trip, courtesy of the internet and stuimbled across some new archives from when Sky was launched!

Now one of the news items said words to the effect of "Sky TV brings with it more choice, along with the promise of hi-definition TV in the future". mmm.

Did we already get that version of hi-def, and are we now waiting for another, or was this just a pipe-dream back then?

Or did Mr Murdoch have a specially constructed time-machine and knew something we didn't?? :p

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Well marketing bods have been promising us flying cars, paperless offices and homes that clean themselves for decades:)
    As for HD I don't even think the Japanese HD analogue service was alive and kicking back in the late 1980's, then again I suppose basic R&D had been done and like CPU manufacturers a roadmap was in place.
    Come to think of it wasn't the early BBC television in the 1930's heralded as "high def"?
    :)

3. JH4

JH4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    At the Ideal Home Exhibition in London of 198?, I saw a demo of Hi Def TV.
    Two screens side by side - a widescreen Sony and a Philips, if I remember.
    Both were showing a tape of a Wimbledon tennis match, The Sony in Hi Def and the Philips in conventional definition.
    The difference was staggering. Maybe others on this site remember as well.
    It was an awful long time ago though, definitely more than 20 years.

4. pdundas

pdundas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sky was never likely to bring HD-TV but there was the possibility with BSB. Sky used a regular PAL signal but BSB used D-MAC which was meant to lead to HDTV.

There were certainly some experimental HD-MAC satellite broadcasts in Europe in the early 90's. D-MAC and D2-MAC actually gave an incredible picture quality even at SDTV resolutions but it never really got off the ground outside Scandinavia and for a time in France.

5. dubmaster

dubmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the Thomson Space System 36" HDTV HDMAC before buyuing the 37" Aquos.

I remember seeing some olympic games from france in HDMAC at least 10 years ago. (internal sat tuner)

Picture was absolutely stunning.

bye