Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Hi-Def test transmissions on Freeview

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Tony B, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Tony B

Tony B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    They must be planning these sometime, maybe they are even transmitting them now, at odd times.

Any thoughts on where in the spectrum we should keep an eye open?

2. RecordablDVDfan

RecordablDVDfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Dream on or go to Australia !

3. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    imagine they will do it much later than sooner 2006 -2008 & prob limited geographicly

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    has been tested already so no need to it again.....Crown castle tested the bandwidth etc on digital before OnDigital launched........MPEG 2 only tho

5. Tony B

Tony B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I think I might need a fairly large aerial if I am going to pick up FreeView in Australia.

You would be surprised (perhaps) by how early test transmissions do start.

Colour tramsmissions were tested on BBC2 at least 2 years before the official service started. BBC1 was testing in colour at least a year before it officially started.

As the step from 625 line B&W to 625 line clour was tiny compared with the step from SD to HD, it would not be unreasonable to assume that a similar or greater period of test transmissions might apply.

I believe that there is a growing realisation within the BBC that they should be offering something earlier rather than later (2006 World Cup would be a good target). Even waiting for the 2008 Olympics would suggest a lot of activity in the next year or 2.

Test transmissions would also help drive demand and the techies within the BBC would love a challenge.

The material is being produced in HD (and that is the expensive bit).

All it needs is some political will and it could happen quite soon.

Mark my words....

6. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Who exactly are "they" ???

7. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +818
    The Beeb demonstrated - and thus "tested" - HD over DVB-T before they launched their official DVB-T service in November 1998. They were running a DVB-T "test bed" service from Crystal Palace for many years before this - and as there were no receivers in the public domain these were only viewable by the BBC and manufacturers. This meant the Beeb could stop SD broadcasts and test HD signals - using MPEG2 for both.

ISTR that the BBC test Mux was used to carry a single HDTV service on at least occasion - to demonstrate that it was feasible - particularly important to prove that DVB-T would be a good choice for the Aussies - by showing it working "in the real world".

If there are any test transmissions - then they are likely to be from Crystal Palace, Wenvoe or Emley Moore - these transmitters are usually the first to be used for tests.

It is VERY unlikely that MPEG2 would be used for HD via DVB-T in the UK - MPEG4 would be chosen I suspect (as it has been for Pay-TV and HDTV, but not FTA SDTV, in France) You'd need to use a PC DVB-T capture card rather than a set top box to view these - and you'd need to know how they were being broadcast.

As it is unlikely that Freeview HD is going to happen before analogue switch off (there isn't the space unless existing Freeview broadcasters are kicked off - which is unlikely) - so I wouldn't hold your breath. HD Tests over satellite are a completely different kettle of fish. They are happening now in some cases (TF1 for France?) - though I suspect Sky will ensure theirs are encrypted.

8. RecordablDVDfan

RecordablDVDfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    What's the freq and sat for TF1 ?

9. Muf

Muf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    TF1 HD is on Hotbird 13E 11013, H, 27500
    Really good demo loop.

Jim.

10. Tony B

Tony B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    What a silly question. :hiya:

It should be obvious that I am referring to extra terrestrial beings.

Who did you think I was suggesting? BBC?

11. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    There are no silly questions, just silly answers, like yours :suicide:

12. Tony B

Tony B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I stand here, awestruck, by the power of your wit.... :rolleyes:

I suppose it could have been QVC, or Bid-up TV, TMF, or perhaps some of the radio stations.....but then again...NOT.....:rotfl:

13. brock_landers

brock_landers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :clap:
    Touche!

Really did make me laugh that! :thumbsup:

14. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Your posts show a real indication that you do not have much of a clue about how TV programmes are produced, distributed or broadcast. Several people have already told you that terrestrial HD tests took place some time ago. Now that the engineering arm of the BBC has been sold off to Siemens, you are not likely to see many more test transmissions originating from the BBC.

Test transmissions on PAL terrestrial could be "evesdropped" by anyone with a TV - these days the technology is such that the anyone could conduct tests on satellite or Freeview, and you would never know about it. Test transmissions are being conducted on satellite all the time, but you'll never see them on the Sky EPG.

15. Tony B

Tony B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Ho hum, someone appears to be living up (down?) to his reputation once again.

Distribution of television programmes is of little interest to me.

Production of television programmes is, actually, something I do know a little about, as my father worked in this industry for 40 years from the 1950s as a producer and director, which enabled me to visit many studios and production facilities.

Strangely, perhaps mistakenly, I thought that we were frequenting a forum, where ideas and opinions could be exchanged.

You, it appears, are here merely to demonstrate your superior knowledge (well you think it is superior, at least) and indulge in point scoring and putting other people down.

Sad really, that you have to take this position, but I am sure you have your reasons.....

16. RecordablDVDfan

RecordablDVDfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I wonder if anyone thinks there is simply too much technology now, in fact too much of everythng, oh for the simpe life of the 80's and 90's with just 4 channels !

17. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

It wasn't plain sailing back then:)

Nobody wants to watch TV before 9pm and after midnight so be thankful for what you get you good for nothing license fee payers and advert watchers!
    How much for a top loading VCR!
    Do I buy a NICAM VCR/TV even though there is no date for the local transmitter being upgraded. Surround sound is great, what's this new AC3 that's doing the rounds?

:)

18. gbmitie

gbmitie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    keep on posting tony b and dont let urself be sidetracked. my bet is the Beeb will do everything in their power to steal a march on SKY and getting HD off the ground would be a good way to start.

gbmitie

19. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    What ? By asking a simple 4 word question "Who exactly are they" ?

I note that it is you that started all this with a sarcastic reply. But feel free to finish it if it makes you feel better :rolleyes:

20. Tony B

Tony B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Oh, all right then, if you really really really insist....

"I worked in the AV industry from 1972 to 1979."

Would that be Curry's or Dixons? :devil:

21. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Tony, if you don't know the difference between industry and commerce, I suggest that you pay more attention at school. :rolleyes:

22. Tony B

Tony B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Uh oh, is that the distinctive, and repetitive sound of another lecture starting.... :boring:

23. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +180
    Can I ask how old you 2 are?

24. Tony B

Tony B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Too old for this.

Elvis has left the building.... :thumbsup:

25. sgauntlett

sgauntlett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BBC Technology may have been sold to Siemens they the BBC R&D Department, the people who came up with most of the ideas for DTT in the first place, is still running and still do test transmissions! They were involved in the recent tests of VC-1 and H.264 HD channels over DVB-S2 shown in Amsterdam in September. The BBC is still pushing the boundaries of these technologies and hopefully will continue to influence the broadcast industry in Europe and beyond.

:)

26. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +818
    Yes - BBC Technology was sold to Siemens, and this included the BBC commercially developed BNCS/Colledia system etc. BBC Technology IS involved with HD - as it is part of the Quantel/BBC Technology-now-Siemens consortium providing ESPN with SD and HD editing and transmission facilities in the US.

However BBC Research and Development, currently in Kingswood Warren, has NOT been sold to Siemens and is still part of the BBC. These were the people who initially trialled HD shooting and compression stuff - along with BBC programme makers. They've been shooting HD test stuff since the late 80s (Top of the Pops, Wimbledon, Noel's House Party, Blue Peter etc. have all been trialled in HD) I believe it is now part of "New Media" - or proposed to be part of New Media and moving to Manchester (though this isn't a popular move with many of the KW staff)

The recent HDTV test transmissions were actually from BBC Broadcast's new media playout building - and BBC Broadcast (formerly "Presentation" - the programme playout people who actually playout BBC One, BBC Two etc.) were actually providing the playout facilities for the recent BBC HDTV satellite transmissions for IBC 2004. I believe BBC Broadcast has recently been advertised for sale/joint venture?

27. Tony B

Tony B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    So which satellite(s) did they use for IBC2004?

I have a motorised dish, and I am getting so tempted by the Quali-TV receiver, even if it is only mpeg2 at this stage. The viewing card is guaranteed to 2010, so it is almost worth it for that alone, assuming that content from HD1 extends, along with the ProSieben and TF1 stuff.

28. Muf

Muf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
  29. JH4

JH4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +264
    Stephen Neal: wonder if you could refresh my memory. I saw Hi Def TV many, many years ago at the Ideal Home Exhibition in London. 2 TVs - one showing a Wimbledon match in widescreen Hi Def on a Sony and a Philips TV showing the same thing on standard definition, 4:3. The 2 TVs were side by side on the stand. I believe it was called 1260 lines or something similar. The Sony picture was astonishing and remains with me 'til this day. I wonder if you could refresh my memory on what I saw that day, and when it was, please? ... or was I dreaming... ! Thanks.

30. sgauntlett

sgauntlett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, but the other HDTV test transmissions at IBC 2004 over satellite were done by BBC R&D along with Astra with help from Microsoft and Moonlight on the DVB stand. This showed two channels of HD, one encoded with H.264 and the other with VC-1, both in a DVB transport stream going over DVB-S2!

This combined several "world firsts". Sky were also involved as they provided the content for one of the channels with their HD trailer which some people picked up the audio but couldn't get the video (as it was H.264 and no kit was about apart from the computers BBC R&D put together).