1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi-def storage...how do you do yours?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by museumsteve, Aug 2, 2004.

1. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,020
    With all this talk of hi-def stuff being acquired, how are you guys storing yours. I have 6 x 160GB HDs currently and am now starting to think I will run out of space very quickly. I'm archiving a lot to DVHS but still want to keep the files incase I have a problem later on or there is a different way of viewing (like Roku Labs HD1000).
    I'm pondering putting them (.ts) onto DVD for storage but fear I would not want to be bothered to put back on a HD at a later stage.
    Another pain for me is that using external HDs with USB2 connections still take a while to transfer to and from my PC, does anyone use other methods like SCSI, SATA or Raid. If so what are the benefits and forgetting all the bumpf you read, what is the quickest way to transfer to and from external drives.

2. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    One of my PCs, used for testing software on different OSes, has a removeable HD caddy; this is so one OS is on C drive and removeable HDs are on drive D (and can have one drive each).

This device fits in 5.25" bay and you use IDE hard discs like one would floppy disks in the olden days; the HDs mount into a sliding frame. The frames/caddies only cost £6 or so each and work a treat; I believe there are also SCSI versions available too.

I have a dozen or so drives for this system, and it's excellent solution as one can just slot a drive in and go; only downside is you need to power-off when switching drives.

StooMonster

3. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    I've got a 300Gb HD that has quite a lot of material on it.
    When Scan get their act together I should be installing this in an icybox external SATA enclosure.

Hopefully I can then plug this in to my HTPC via an extension bracket from the internal sata ports on my mobo. The HTPC itself can't really fit more than two HDs anyway. The bracket I had to source from a Canadian supplier although it only cost £6.

Fine in practice however....

Neither of these bits of kit have arirved yet !
    Scan sent me the wrong version of the enclosure initially after waiting 3 weeks for stock to arrive. I'm now awaiting the RME process to complete ( really annoying).

The bracket is also out of stock at the canadian supplier even though it indicated it was in stock on the website , I got some flim flam from them about their stock indication being up to 4 weeks out out of date!

4. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    Keith,

I hope they sort you out soon.

Cheers

Rob

5. dvdmike

dvdmike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    2x500gig for downloading
    2xterabyte ext for archiving

6. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    I use Lacie 250GB USB2 external drives at the moment. I also archive all to DVD. I have to say it's not ideal due to power supplies, spce, noise, heat and speed for copying. It is however just about the best at the moment for the money and is quite simple. HD movies stream just fine over the USB2 connections as well.

Oh, I also have a couple of std external USB2 caddies which I use fro temporary drives for copying etc.

All works OK but have already filled almost 4 x 250GB drives. Got another sitting here waiting but won't be long before I have 1.25TB all filled and needing more. Geez :eek: And to think I waited 3 months for my first major Viglen PC upgrade about 6 or 7 years ago cos I wanted the latest and greatest HDD - all of 40MB. Yep, that's right, 40 MegaBytes :laugh: And people say "Those were the days" :D